1924-1926 Dodge Brothers firetruck

Guest cadillacdon54

Guest cadillacdon54
post-91767-143141780487_thumb.jpg I have this 1924 firetruck that appears to have been reconditioned with additional lights, horns, sirens, etc. I am interested in hearing from anyone with a similar truck as to what the original trucks were equipped with, i.e. pump, ladders, hoses, tank, etc. Also interested in any information on fixing the transmission fluid leak, as I am running out of oil absorbtion materials!

post-91767-14314178049_thumb.jpg

Someone has really pimped out that fire truck, I do not have one but have literature for them if you are interested

Who did the conversion originally, any idea?

Guest cadillacdon54

No idea when or who did the the reconstruction. Truck was supposedly in service in a small town in Wyoming. What literature do you have?

cadillacdon54

Guest occrj

Re: the transmission, my recently-bought '25 was leaking quite a lot, but I found that it had a lightweight oil in it (90?). Since putting heavier 600w in it, there appear to be far fewer leaks :) There are some good threads regarding oils to use on here.

RJ

Guest cadillacdon54

thanks for the idea on heavyweight transmission oil. I already have changed to a mixture of 600w oil and regular axle grease which makes a little improvement but I think the level is too high so it is still leaking heavily.

If the vehicle were originally ordered as a fire truck than there would be some sort of badge or nameplate somewhere on the vehicle or equipment mentioning one certain company. During this time period Dodge Brothers used American-LaFrance, Boyer, Pirsch and Howe as companies that would have made the conversion. There may have been others that I am not aware of/have no information about but I feel fairly confident that I have a pretty complete list of agencies that were working with D.B at this time.

If you would supply the serial number of the vehicle than we could give you an approximate date of manufacture and if you could tell me if any of these manufacturers marks are found on any of the equipment than it would narrow it down as to what conversion company was used and which information that I could supply that would be relevant to your vehicle.

The side view picture that you show is much too small to make out any great detail and at this point I have to assume the pump mechanism is located on the other side of the vehicle. This would surely have a manufacturers badge.

If there is no pump present than the conversion was in my opinion possibly done at a much later date for show only or was done by an early local carriage maker that was not within D.B network.

Let me know what you find, either way a very pretty truck.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Regarding the tranny leak. The oil level really shouldn't be as high as one would think. For my 1919 it is only supposed to be above a certain gear which is only about 1/3 of the height of the transmission case. If it is higher than that gear it really leaks out. Keeping at the recommended level I have very little leaking.

Guest cadillacdon54

thanks for the info "1930". There is no pump equipment and I suspect as you that the truck was rebuilt for show only at some date after being out of service ( it has 39,000 miles on the odometer). Although titled as a 1924, the firewall plate shows car #A553073 and engine #A625534, so it would be 1926, right?

Thanks "72caddy" for the trans fluid info.

Yes 1926, I will post a pamphlet anyway later on this evening that shows something similar, as in a no frills ( as in less equipment ) basic sort of truck like your own. Someone did a very nice job anyway and I would be proud to own it.

This Boyer unit looks prob. about as close to something your own truck can relate with that I have, if you would like clearer scans/full page scans and the information page on how orders are processed you can e-mail me at jhason2@yahoo.com Enjoy!

post-48869-143141788427_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141788452_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141788477_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141788502_thumb.jpg