Wheels finally back from Rally America

Guest Rob J

Guest Rob J

They aren't perfect, but they do look much better than before. The quality of the chrome itself is very good, but I did expect a bit better finish quality of the painting and details. Maybe I'm just extremely picky.

DSCN4000_zpsad83fd85.jpg

DSCN4001_zps09f837ad.jpg

DSCN4008_zpsa77cee91.jpg

DSCN4007_zpse54e0c50.jpg

Guest Steeleco

Rob, The wheel you show with the serious run in the paint may be form condensation in the guys spray gun. Is it the only one with runs in it?

Guest brivi65

Wow Rob, I think they look great, but mine are pretty bad, so anything would be an upgrade! How much did they charge to refinish and straighten? Thanks, Brian

All,

I had my 65 Riv wheels rechromed at a place in California called Southbay Chrome a subsidiary of Classic Components. Chrome Plating Company |Chrome Plating Service | Chrome Plating Shops | Classic Components

I called several places before I found them and no-one wanted to rechrome steel wheels. I paid $200.00 a wheel a few years ago plus shipping to and from. I painted mine myself first with etching primer and then paint. I just have to say the chrome job was excellent and would send other parts to them. Gerry<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest brivi65

I am thinking of having them rechromed and not repainting the black, I am wondering what they would look like all chrome? Anybody seen any road wheels all chrome? Brian

I posted the following in a previous thread regarding rechroming Buick wheels..

"The wheels dont rechrome well. The platers usually grind/buff out the parting line between the painted center and chrome rim and the rechroming process leaves the wheels looking "wavy". It`s pretty easy to pick off the replates. I have two cars with replated wheels (done by previous owners) and I have found they dont hold up nearly as well to the moisture and temp cycles of the midwest. They have a tendency to pit/rust much more quickly than the originals. Perhaps that is due to a nickel/nickel /chrome plate as opposed to the original copper/nickel/chrome. I dont do show cars so ultimate luster is not my priority. I try to find the best originals I can and properly maintain them. The `66-`67 wheels were very poorly plated as new and are the hardest to find in excellent original condition. Even then, the chrome often has a grainy appearance and lacks the luster of the original `64-`65 plate. Say a prayer the replates are being done in Mexico"

I made the comment about the plating being done in Mexico because it is my understanding the platers there are still using copper in the process as there are fewer environmental concerns in Mexico. Rob, did this plater use nickel/nickel/chrome or were the wheels done in copper/nickel/chrome??

I know others have posted satisfactory results, maybe I am too picky, but the wheels pictured look wavy and the chromed surface of the individual spokes look over prepped so they are not flat anymore. If an owner is looking for more glitz or "pop" it is impossible to beat freshly plated wheels but this confirms my opinion that the replates just dont look "right". At least it appears they didnt wipe out the raised parting line where the chrome and painted areas meet.

Rob, nothing personal, not trying to pick on YOUR wheels, just trying to repeat a general point about the wheels and plating for the benefit of others who are considering writing a fairly large check. Kudos on choosing the correct style wheels for your `65 as that is probably the most important hurdle.

Tom Mooney

Guest Gseago

Rob do you know if a clear coat was applied over the painted areas? If so you might be able to carefully wetsand the runs out and the buff the areas back to a nice glossy finish.

Guest Gseago

A thought occurred to me after I noticed everyones (including mine) suggestions to repaint your rims yourself. Did Rally America give you any type of warranty on defects, or workmanship? You may want to contact them and let them know you are not completely satisfied. They may be willing to atleast refund the cost of shipping. I would mention that I'm a member of the ROA,most business in gained or lost by word of mouth more than by any other reason.

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

Q C,,,,,.....Quality Control.... Someone should forward this thread to the company involved...like someone stated earlier .. word of mouth will bury a company these days....the internet has made doing sub quality work a death sentence.....might be one thing if we all lived a mile from the plater but the shipping and handling charges these days is what puts all these deals at risk....

Guest Gseago
Q C,,,,,.....Quality Control.... Someone should forward this thread to the company involved...like someone stated earlier .. word of mouth will bury a company these days....the internet has made doing sub quality work a death sentence.....might be one thing if we all lived a mile from the plater but the shipping and handling charges these days is what puts all these deals at risk....

Rob did you contact Rally America? I was interested in having them restore my rims, but if this is the type of work they produce I'll probable have someone else chrome them and paint the "inserts" myself.

Guest Rob J

Just got off of the phone with them. They are issuing me a UPS call tag, so I can send all 5 of them back to be re-worked. Seems they did not allow ample drying time before they were boxed up and sent back to me. They assured me they would take care of the issues, so hopefully they will stand by there word.

Will keep this thread updated.

Just to note. The quality of the chrome work is excellent guys. The chrome itself looks better in person than the photo's depict, so I think a deserving chance should still be given to them.

Guest Rob J

Let's hope so Ed. I do not believe they are aware of this thread as of yet. I don't believe in making too much noise until someone is given the opportunity to correct and resolve the issues. We are all human, so I know mis-haps can occur at times.

• 2 years later...

Just an update:

Now they want $300. a wheel plus shipping and a 4 month turn around. A third increase in price and wait time in less than 3 years since. And they are NOT perfect? They must be doing REAL WELL.

Not worth it now. I'm going back to original deluxe wheel covers ultimately.