Removable Luggage Trunk - "Steelwood" Watts-Moorehouse, Jackson, Mich.

Guest va_longeye

Guest va_longeye

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and as you can see from the title I have for sale, an original metal & wood luggage trunk, marked, "Steelwood", Watts-Moorehouse, Jackson, Mich. on the chrome latches. This is a recent barn find I picked up locally here in Virginia and appears to be in great original condition. It looks to have the original black paint, it has a straight back & front with a slanted lid and the nominal dimensions are 40" long x 13" wide x 19-1/2" tall. The chrome latches are original and contains the only markings on the trunk, however I do not have the locking key, they are in working condition. This is a heavy trunk and I would think shipping on it would be pricey, however it is available for local pickup, if anyone is interested, I am located in Williamsburg, Virginia - 23188. I have attempted to post pictures of the trunk, but am having a difficult time with the posting, so if you want to shoot me an email: va_longeye1948@hotmail.com, I can reply to you with the pictures. I only have a vague idea of the value of this trunk, but as with all things, condition is everything. I would say this trunk is in good to very good condition. I will not be checking this post or forum very often, so the best way to contact me is by email, va_longeye1948@hotmail.com. Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you soon.

Ron

post-91743-143141795569_thumb.jpg

post-91743-143141795571_thumb.jpg

post-91743-143141795573_thumb.jpg

post-91743-143141795576_thumb.jpg

post-91743-143141795578_thumb.jpg

post-91743-14314179558_thumb.jpg

post-91743-143141795581_thumb.jpg

post-91743-143141795583_thumb.jpg

Edited by va_longeye
Added Photos Finally (see edit history)

Guest va_longeye

Sorry folks, still having trouble with the photos, I can send them by email if you're interested. I did want to thank everyone from this forum that have contacted me and have attempted to help me, I guess I just don't get it yet.

Ron

Edited by va_longeye (see edit history)

Sorry folks, still having trouble with the photos, I can send them by email if you're interested. I did want to thank everyone from this forum that have contacted me and have attempted to help me, I guess I just don't get it yet.

Ron

Reducing your photo pixel sizes to 2000 pixels or less in BOTH directions will help them load.

Guest va_longeye

Hi folks,

Thaks to a lot of help I think I have finally got those photos up on this forum. Please see my original post.

It is not likely that the trunk was made by the maker of the latches. They would have been a catalog item. However, there is the matter of both manufacturers locations. Potter Mfg. Co. was also situated in Jackson, Michigan. Your trunk was probably made by them. Note the similarity in construction to mine pictured. It has an oval decal under the lid. Look to see if there are any traces of one on yours. If the underside has been repainted rub a rag dampened with lacquer thinner in the center to see if an oval decal is underneath, (that's how I found mine). It could also never had one, or it could have been removed.

post-54604-143141796198_thumb.jpg

post-54604-143141796201_thumb.jpg

Guest va_longeye

Thanks for the info, you are probably correct, evidently Potter was a maker of a lot of these, in different styles. I have run across that before on antique furniture, where the hardware is marked by manufacturer and with no markings on the furniture. I didn't see any trace of a sticker, but it appears to have all original paint. I was curious though that there are no handles, doesn't look like it ever had any mounted. Reading some other posts, they mention mounting holes on the bottom or back, but I'm not seeing those either. The interior retains what looks to be its original lining, made of what looks like black cardboard and there is also a piece of white covering or padding along the bottom, I assume so as to not scratch the paint on the car. I see that material is mentioned in other posts too. It would be really something if someone had some catalog ads of the different kinds that might have been available.

I did receive some information that it would probably fit sedans from the 20's or 30's, but that's about it so far. Maybe someone on the forum knows more about this style or has some more information, it would be great to know.

By the way it's still for sale if anyone is interested. I'm would be willing to listen to any reasonable offers.

Guest Dean_H.

Unfortunately you're too far from me, otherwise I might of been interested. Google '1929 Hupmobile project' and you will notice the original trunk looks much the same as yours, and it was also Steelwood.

Guest va_longeye

Thanks Dean,

I checked out that post and your work on the Hup, incredible man, absolutely incredible! I wish I had just a small bit of your talent, unfortunately I am totally lacking in that department, right now I am only a "car dreamer". Maybe one day.......

The trunk was a true "barn find", the guy I got it from thought it was his grandfather's toolbox! My wife and I are owners in a small antique shop, we've been digging around for stuff for years or so and I sometimes find these interesting things in our travels. I am also a Land Surveyor and own a really small surveying company, you would be surprised what I come across on property that I have worked on over the years.

This is a great forum for information and hopefully more will come from it. Good luck with your future projects, looks like you have it going on and thanks again.

Ron

Guest va_longeye

Hi folks, I am revising my post after having seen another thread on this forum with concerns of scammers. I totally agree with the issues that were brought up and have decided to post an asking price for the "removable luggage trunk". I am going to start with $500.00 or best reasonable offer for the trunk, since I have still been unable to find out much more information about the specifics, like the actual manufacturer. I was told by a local classic car restoration company, that it could possibly be a Potter mfg. trunk, but he had never seen one that specifically looked like this one. He did tell me that my trunk was in pretty good condition and that is how I came up with my asking price.

I will be checking this forum more often for any replies, since there appeared to be concerns to responding to any "free email" accounts, but you can still respond to my email account if you prefer (see my original post). If you do I will provide you with a phone number and we can talk about it directly. The trunk will be sold only through an active Paypal account, possibly a bank certified cashiers check or USPS certified money order.

Thanks again to the folks on this forum for their help.

Guest va_longeye

Just letting you know I sent you an email with the number, wanted to make sure you received it.

Thanks again

• 2 months later...
Guest va_longeye

The luggage trunk is still available, if anyone is interested. Due to shipping costs, I have dropped my asking price for this trunk (please see the description in my original post). I am now asking $350, plus all shipping costs. I still check this forum, however I can be quickly reached at va_longeye1948@hotmail.com.

Thank you