Ring help

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

I'm in the tedious process of gapping the rings in my '47 LC, and due to a combination of lack of sleep and freezing temperatures I made a mistake this evening. Turns out that I somehow used the wrong feeler thickness for one piston and overshot it by quite a bit. Does anyone have an extra top compression ring lying around? Mine are stock, but now I so far have 5 sets properly gapped (.008 - .013" at center of cylinder bore) and one top ring gapped at >.018". My dumb ass just can't bring myself to get a whole new set for one measly ring. I have all my old ones that were in there from the PO, but oddly every one I've measured thus far are over .025. This means I can't reuse any of them even if I wanted to. This does explain though why I had no compression in any bore when I got the engine.

Edited by zazothex (see edit history)

The lack of any compression might indicate sticking valves or valves that are not closing all the way. These devils did have a habit of doing this especially if they sat idle for long periods. I'd sure check for this while you're at it.

Guest zazothex

Thanks for the tips. I exaggerated a bit -I had 20-30#s in each bore even after a week sitting with some MMO in them. My valves all looked pretty functional when I got the intake off. Regardless, I've upgraded them all during the rebuild to new units with single guides anyway.

Guest zazothex

C Douglas, thanks for the help. They're completely stock (no overbore) from Egge, so whatever the specs are on their top ring. I'll get over to the shop tomorrow and let you know the thickness.

Guest zazothex

Here's the box. Sorry about the glare; the large letters on top read 6028 030

The dimensions I grabbed with a caliper from the top ring are: top-bottom thickness .093" and inside-outside thickness .128". They're Hastings iron rings from Egge

post-67607-143141783924_thumb.jpg