Club Management Automation

Guest boblove

Guest boblove

As a former Webmaster and Newsletter Editor, and now club President, I want to computerize the management of our club's membership records, mailing lists, rosters, etc.. This is the most technically oriented forum on AACA so I figured the most expertise would be available here. I'm looking more toward a central database type system of low or no cost to the club. The club Secretary would be the primary user but it should also accommodate other primary offices within the club. I wouldn't rule out an on-line system but would prefer desktop based if possible. What are other clubs out there using? Any suggestions from those that have gone to computerizing their records?

Presently, the only computer related software used by the club is a free form spreadsheet for listing membership data and is very awkward for formatting for printing. Any ideas?

I keep members names, addresses, dues paid information and cars in an Excel file. The file also has their e-mail and a hyperlink to a picture of their favorite car. Labels for the monthly newsletter mailing are created using MS Office. On those months when I take a well deserved break and do not do a newsletter I send a post card. The post cards address side are printed from the same data base only I usually include a picture of their car. Although I've never done it, you should be able to make custom emails with personalized data from the excel file. If the urge hits me, I use the same excel file and the MS Word catalog function to make up a club roster. I use the emails in the excel file to make an outlook (actually Thunderrbird) address list.

The file on my computer is all the automation the club has. People pay me the dues, I mark them off on the mailing list file and give the money to the treasurer at the next meeting.

Works for me

Bill

Guest boblove

Thanks for the reply, Bill. This is something like what I'm looking for. Our Excel listing is unformatted (just free form text and not a true spreadsheet). Would it be possible to get a copy of your Excel spreadsheet in a template form? I wouldn't want the data, just the template for our roster. We don't have any Excel or database experts and the upkeep of basically a text file doesn't lead to much in the way of automating mailing lists or printouts.