Need advice & counsel on '30 Packard 745

Guest Water Jacket

Guest Water Jacket

My old friend finally retrieved the '30 Packard Model 745 roadster he owned 40 years ago. Tho' re-restored in the interim, it sat unused for a few years in a private collection. My hands on Packard experience is with

late '30s, '40s. We're in the San Fran/Oakland East Bay area. Anyone know a good source for points/distributor cap, ignition parts? And, as

i haven't seen the car since its return "home" last Friday, is the canister at the left side of the engine an oil rectifier or ? How is it serviced?

Enquiring minds want to know. Many thanks!

Edited by Water Jacket (see edit history)

Oil Filter

Like this. http://forums.aaca.org/f119/packard-purolator-ef-2-1930-factory-340951.html

The original oil filter was a Purolator EF-2, a disposable canister type of bypass filter. There is a modern unit that externally matches the EF-2 but accepts a modern, spin-on filter inside. There was a vendor who advertised in the Packard club magazine, and I saw him set up in the Orange Field (?) at Hershey. His name was Burr Ripley, but he has since passed away. No more knowledge as to whether anyone has picked up the business of making the filters.

Edited by West Peterson
Burr Ripley passed away (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snopack
Thank you. Now all he needs are the above ignition bits.

?

Try John Ulrich in El Sobrante, Cal. 510 223 9587, he has the parts your looking for.

John

Guest Water Jacket

Snopak --- Thanks for the above tip. I know John, but haven't seen him in ages, forgot albout him--- and he owns a nice '32 Light Eight roadster, knows the older cars, too.

BTW, i have your bound collection of "Packard Tips," a wonderful source which i recommend to all Packardites.

• 1 year later...