1934 Chrysler CA Sedan

I have an opportunity to buy a 1934 Chrysler CA 4 door sedan. The owner claims it runs (cannot confirm due to snow blocking the doors and driveway). It looks stock except for the color. Its a gray/brown or brown/rose depending on the lighting. I think it is more brown than gray. From a visual inspection. it needs all new glass, weather stripping, front floor mat and the headlight pods are dented. The owner claims he has the glass and pods but is not 100% sure since the parts are at a relatives home stored away for years. I see the car as a #4 because of the glass, paint chips and pod damage. (defects visible form 20'). The #4 value is about $6000. He wants $10,500 which is very close to #3 at $12,000. While the list of needs seems short, there are always hidden things that cannot be discovered until you are deep into a project. I'm looking at this as a nice driver or HPOF car. I could not find any CA sedans for sale to compare. He seems firm on his price.

Any opinions or suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

post-53830-143141769041_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143141768934_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143141768954_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143141768971_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143141768989_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143141769005_thumb.jpg

post-53830-143141769023_thumb.jpg

Price guides are worthless so ignore them.

Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a decent car but 4 door sedans are always a tough sell.

If I were you I would compare it to other mid to low priced 6 cylinder sedans from the same year. I can tell you that if it was a 3 window in that condition it would be worth closer to 18k. His price is probably strong by a couple of thousand but it really depends on the actual condition.

Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a decent car but 4 door sedans are always a tough sell.

If I were you I would compare it to other mid to low priced 6 cylinder sedans from the same year. I can tell you that if it was a 3 window in that condition it would be worth closer to 18k. His price is probably strong by a couple of thousand but it really depends on the actual condition.

Thanks. I happen to prefer a sedan because it is useful and roomy. I think the price is strong as well. I think the owner is not ready emotionally to sell it. I will continue my research and decide if I will make a counter offer.

Larry

I agree price guides are junk..it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay..i had cars the price guide said were "worth thousands" but the people who write those things never seem to think about what things are worth in a bad economy. I have seen cars go for mortgage payment money.

they made 17,617 of those sedans. plus just try to buy a 34 ford for 10k ..your getting a basket case with mechanical brakes..and a motor that didn't have all the bugs worked out of it yet..

I have an opportunity to buy a 1934 Chrysler CA 4 door sedan. The owner claims it runs (cannot confirm due to snow blocking the doors and driveway). It looks stock except for the color. Its a gray/brown or brown/rose depending on the lighting. I think it is more brown than gray. From a visual inspection. it needs all new glass, weather stripping, front floor mat and the headlight pods are dented. The owner claims he has the glass and pods but is not 100% sure since the parts are at a relatives home stored away for years. I see the car as a #4 because of the glass, paint chips and pod damage. (defects visible form 20'). The #4 value is about $6000. He wants $10,500 which is very close to #3 at $12,000. While the list of needs seems short, there are always hidden things that cannot be discovered until you are deep into a project. I'm looking at this as a nice driver or HPOF car. I could not find any CA sedans for sale to compare. He seems firm on his price.

Any opinions or suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]179744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179748[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179749[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]179750[/ATTACH]

A few observations from a CB owner

• hard to comment on your values but down here it would seem to be reasonble value at say $8 to $10k
  • CA/CBs are often regarded as orphans given the focus for 1934 was the Airflow, for that reason you wont find many around
  • headlight shells come up on ebay from time to time, you have to be quick rodders love them
  • seats appear to have been reupholstered but rest of interior seems original
  • well engineered solid cars sharing many similar components with other Chry/Plym/Dodge etc. of the era so most parts are readily available, front suspension is coil spring for this year only so bits are unique but still available
  • last of the exposed water jacket engines, they have a weakness in that blocks crack on the left side, apparently castings were a bit weak in this area
  • seems like a nice unmolestered vehicle, I would be in it in a flash
  • curious as to the stencilled numbers on the engine bulkhead??

Guest Robert McNeil

Hello: I would be highly interested too, if 1 % of the 1934 Chryslers are left, that is 200 cars worldwide. It is rare car to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WP1934

I have a 1934 Chrysler CA 4 door sedan also. I have had this car since 1972. At the present time, it has 29,800 ORIGINAL miles. Still has its original factory paint - blue body with black fenders and running boards. The spare tire still has a red inner tube inside with the old style wheel weights (the kind with set screws). About 50% of the pin stripping is still there and it has an old Sohio oil change sticker on the drivers side door post. The original mohair upholstery is still in great condition. From 20 feet away, even the chrome looks good. The only bad thing about this car is the glass is fogging up. It is an easy restoration, BUT WHY??? It is only UNRESTORED once. Does anyone know where I can find King Pins for this car? From what I am told, they only fit one year - 1934. Does anyone have the Chrysler part number for 1934 King Pins? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached several photos. Thanks.

post-58191-143141782326_thumb.jpg

post-58191-143141782067_thumb.jpg

post-58191-143141782074_thumb.jpg

Guest WP1934

Thanks for the tip, but it looks like Egge deals with engine and drive line components, not suspension parts.

I have a 1934 Chrysler CA 4 door sedan also.... Does anyone know where I can find King Pins for this car? From what I am told, they only fit one year - 1934. Does anyone have the Chrysler part number for 1934 King Pins? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The web site for Rare Parts in Stockton, Calif. shows they carry a king pin set. Not cheap, but they list it. Steering & Suspension, All American Cars, Import Cars, Off Road and Trucks | RareParts.com

Guest WP1934

Thanks for the tip. You are right - not cheap. I guess if I stop buying gas and food for a while, I should be able to get them.

Hi,

I have to agree with hchris, the car looks in reasonable condition and fairly complete.

Sometimes even the smallest part can set you back quite a few dollars and having one so complete hopefully will ease that burden.

I paid $3000 for my 34 DR Dodge Sedan and it was almost completely disassembled.( looking back probably 85% complete ) and that was 12 years ago.

That being said, I really liked the shovel nose grill and the overall shape so to me it was the look I wanted.

I think, personally, if you like the look ( 34's do look good ) then go for it.

How often do you look back and think "I should have ".

Cheers

Ian

Guest Robert McNeil

Hello again. There are some 1934 Chrysler Kingpins NOS for sale on Ebay right now. 3-7-13 Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have a 1934 chrysler CB closed coupled sedan and mine was missing a lot of parts when I got it back in 1996. This one that

you're looking at is pretty complete the only things I see missing is rubber parts on the pedals,firewall grommets and carpet. The numbers

on the firewall in the engine compartment are the factory codes for what this vehicle had as color, pinstriping and options it would best

you keep these numbers or record them so you'll have them for future reference. It seems that this vehicle didn't have the duel trumpet

horns but you could add them pretty easy with the right mounting bracket under the headlights. If you want to see my car go to youtube

and type in 1934 Chrysler CB. It took me about 6 years to do a frame off restoration. If you have any questions you can email me at

mmopar4evr@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Code 414 in the CA series was for Salon Brown Metallic, originally done in lacquer, for the body and fenders. I suspect the panel that has the numbers stencilled is the original colour. Striping was either Tokio Ivory or English Coach Vermilion.

Wheels were Ivory, Brown or Vemilion.

Well I bought the car today and am making a list of parts needed, I know it needs the fuel pump rebuilt, gas line and tank cleaned.

Other items:

Front rubber flooring and rear carpet

glass lens for license plate

horns

Wiring - I used RI wiring for another car and was pleased.

Master cylinder rebuild

Hood ornament

Glass - all, including rubber moldings. Side glass frames pretty rusty.

Fix oil pressure gauge - tubing inside bad

fix wipers - vacuum on carb capped.

Fix gas gauge

Have fix or fix dent in headlight pod

Add turn signals

Any suggested sources?

My goal is to have it running (no cosmetics) for Memorial day.

Larry in CT

Guest 33chrysler

I would also suggest buying a hone and doing the wheel cylinders yourself. If they set for any time they get rusty.

Cecil Nuxol reproduced the horns and even though his nephew still lists them on ebay he was not at the Portland swapmeet.

Unfortunately from his age I am afraid he is gone or will not be doing them anymore and prices will only go up from here(there not cheap now).

I would suggest a reproduction hood ornament but these are not cheap ether and purist's don't like them.(American Arrow Corporation).

Nc industries makes window frames both windshield and side window but I am not 100% sure on the 34's with wing window(again not cheap).

Hope this helps.

Hi I see you got the vehicle and now have to do a lot research and develop your contact list. I've got some extra radiator ornaments that I

could sell and maybe some other parts you might need. If you want to contact me use the email address in the previous message above

and reference this site in your email as I can identify who contacting me. As I have other chrysler contacts that may need these parts I

can't guarantee they will be around too long so the quicker you response is better for you. I can also supply pictures of the parts as you

can compare with what you have. Good luck with your restoration and getting it on the road for your enjoyment. Keep the classics running.

bye for now mopar4evr.

As things happen, I lost my storage for the 34 Chrysler CA sedan I just bought. I had planned on starting to work on it later this summer but now things have changed. I tried to find affordable storage nearby but after a week of trying, I give up. I got the car running with very little work but now I am forced to sell it. I am only looking for what I paid for it, $8500.00. I hope to resolve the storage problem before the fall but do not want to leave the car even covered outside. The body is just too nice. If you or someone you know wants a real nice CA, please reply to ctcarguy@gmail.com and I will send you my phone number. Thanks. Larry

Guest dgiorgi

Hello, I am wondering what ever happened to this Chrysler for sale. Is it still out there? Thank you in advance, David.

Guest dgiorgi

Boy you have to admit, those MoPar products 30 to 35 really do have the look, don't they. The styling is just perfect! Dave.

Hi David:

I just posted my decision a couple of days ago. The car is still here. I am planning on advertising it in Hemmings, Ebay and others starting tomorrow. You can reach me at 860-658-4646 evenings till 9 or during the day at 860-658-7878. I have a few days before I need to move it out of storage.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dgiorgi

Hello Larry, I missed the car on here, after I wrote you on here and saw the car using the "saved search" engine I use on eBay... we spoke there on eBay and the car was sold, let me know if the deal falls through.

Anyone have an idea what those fire wall number and letters mean. I found simular ones when I restored my 32 Chrysler years ago... at least the that ends in"DG". I thought this is funny, it's my initials, lol.

Regards, David

Hi David:

The car is gone and the new owner has received it. He is looking for the band that goes on the spare tire. It was not with the car if you know of one. He is in NC.

The numbers, according to a forum member, have to do with the color and body number.

Regards,

Larry

Going to the meet in Carlisle!