Chalmers- A Family Affair

Guest BobD735

Guest BobD735

During a recent family gathering, around the holidays, we had collected old family photos, which were sorted and brought out to the table. We all sat around, with the photos and exchanged notes and memories. We were kindled by pictures, depicting old faces, places and things. One group of photos that immediately got my attention, were the images of an old car. Among the faces of the people in, on and smothering the car, were those of my Aunt Carol and Uncle Frank. Most of the people were unrecognizeable to me, but I knew the car just post-53992-143141768927_thumb.jpgmight be a Chalmers.

There were at least a couple of decent photos of the car, so I asked my sister if I could borrow them for further investigation. She agreed, and after some research, this is what I came up with:

The old "Family Car", turned out to be a 1915 Chalmers Model 26-B, Five Passenger Touring Car, whose serial numbers ranged from 41701 to 44999.

To Be Continued:

Guest BobD735

Chalmers- A Family Afair - Continued

Two of the descriptive family photos which I reviewed of the 1915 Chalmers, showed the entire right side of the car. The first photo (car aft section) reveals two family members, inside the car, and Uncle Joe (center), his Nephew, and Uncle Joe's female companion, to his left.(not family) The second photo (car forward section), identifies three more family members lounging on and against the right front fender, and a straw hat, resting on the hood. To accurately analyze, and be able to scrutinize these two photos, I had to drastically make some cuts, and do some aligning and combining of the two separate chassis. Uncle Joe's companion had to be relocated! After the reassignment, the two photos were merged, and of course a vacant space appeared, exposing most of the right front door, which by the way does not have an external handle. Further proof of the car being the correct 5, and not the 6, or 7 passenger Model 26-B.post-53992-143141772046_thumb.jpg

post-53992-143141772035_thumb.jpg

post-53992-143141772044_thumb.jpg

Guest BobD735

Hi again,

A good 3/4 right front view photo, masked by my family. My Uncle Dom, is perched on the radiator, but He was good enough to rest his left foot on the horizontal headlight bar, so that we may partially view the Chalmers (CMC) logo, centered just below the radiator shell. Another beacon are the characteristic "Bug-Eyed" headlights, along with the squared off front fenders, protruding out beyond the family. post-53992-143141775764_thumb.jpg

post-53992-143141775782_thumb.jpg

Guest BobD735

Hi John,

I was looking for a Ford, Model T, Roadster to restore, many years ago. Couldn't find what I was looking for, in my price range. My neighbor thought, what He had under a tarp. were the remains of a Chandler. The pieces looked interesting, his price was right, I bought them home. While researching the parts, I found a brass nameplate, on the chassis with the name Chalmers embossed on it. The parts turned out to be for a 1922 Chalmers Coach. That was the beginning of my Chalmers, Collector Restorer hobby.

Bob

Guest BobD735

Hi again,

In ad's of the period, the Chalmers Model 26-A, 5-Passenger Touring Car was described as .... A different kind of automobile beauty; unusually handsome finish; Pullman-like comfort; a 48 H.P. long stroke non-stallable motor which "stayaput" graceful molded oval fenders of both strength and beauty; 4 1/2-inch tires-"Nobby" tread on rear wheels; unusually complete equipment including Chalmers-made one man top of silk mohair; quick acting storm curtains; five demountable rims; one motion Chalmers-Entz electric starter; Klaxon horn; electric lights, etc.

When Grandma found out how Uncle Joe's female companion had been slighted, Grandma insisted that She be made part of our Family, and as a token of their appreciation, She was awarded the Chalmers Touring Car, and the painting of it that had hung over the kitchen oven.

In the last scene, She is seen, happily driving the Chalmers away.

P.S.

During our recent family gathering, we have never figured out who is in the front seat of the Chalmers, driving away with Her....... The Endpost-53992-143141780939_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest mikeburch

On your old photographs, be sure to write down the names of anyone that you may know.

The next generation will not know anyone.

If the last generation had written the names down, you would know them all.

I have blank photographs, too.

Thank you,

mikeburch