1942 desoto directional indicators

Doc Hubler

Hi, I'm looking for a turn signal unit for a 42 desoto. My car had an aftermarket version which is fine in many respects, but I would like to get the period correct equipment if possible. There are probably difficult to come by, but a version for 46-48 may also work. I have finally removed the instrument cluster for cleaning, servicing, and evaluation, and would like to make sure of the directional signal indicators on the instrument cluster. I think that the turn signal equipment came as part of the Park Avenue package, or could be purchased separately as an option. For my car, the indicator pods on the instrument cluster have the original red (now faded to orange) colored plastic, but they were never used as there was a piece of paper over each of these. My guess is that these became more common on 46-48 cars, and that the same set of right/left indicator lights on the dash was used. A good used unit that can be cleaned up and rewired would be great.

THanks,

Tim

• 1 year later...

Tim, I am on a similar mission. My 42 Convertible came with turn signals however now that I have taken a better look, the switch housing looks home made. I have not dug in to see what all is original yet. I found one for my 4 door off of a donor car. If you find a donor car, be sure to get the high beam indicator and the light bracket behind it that is supported off the top of the speedometer. The high beam indicator has the right and left arrow lights. Attached is a B&W picture of a 1942 Dodge Blackout where you can see a hint of the turn signal switch as well as the turn signal/high beam indicator. Ron

post-40694-143142661224_thumb.jpg

post-40694-143142661219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron42Dodge (see edit history)