More potential bad news for old car owners in the nutty Nutmeg State...

stock_steve

Going to paste in the entire broadcast e-mail I received yesterday (2/18/2013) from CT Council of Car Clubs rep D. Bajumpaa.

If you are a CT resident and would like to make your opinions on this issue known to your legislators, he gives some advice on that also...

Good luck to us!!!

-----

To: dabajumpaa@aol.com

Sent: 2/18/2013 7:55:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

Subj: 4C's Legislative Alert - Threat to Antique Auto Max $500 Assessment</SPAN>

Fellow Connecticut Antique Auto Hobbyist:</SPAN></SPAN>

Your Prompt Action is Requested on this important issue.</SPAN></SPAN>

Section 16 of the Senate Bill 843 (Governors Budget Bill - see attached Acrobat .pdf file – page 29 of 47) would exempt up to the first $20,000 of the assessed value of any motor vehicle from local property tax. The Connecticut Council of Car Clubs (4C’s) is neither in favor of, nor opposed to Section 16 of Senate Bill 843. However, Section 15 of Senate Bill 843 (page 28 of 47 of the attached .pdf file) proposes to eliminate the $500 maximum property tax assessment value on any antique, rare, or special interest motor vehicle. (In the attached .pdf file, note that words contained in brackets [ ] exist in the current state statutes and are being deleted.) For the purposes of local property tax assessments, proposed Senate Bill 843 would treat an antique motor vehicle in the same manner as all other motor vehicles in the state. We find this to be unacceptable.</SPAN></SPAN>

The 4C’s is strongly opposed to Section 15 of Senate Bill 843, which is very adverse to the antique auto hobby. We are asking you to take prompt action by contacting your State Representative and State Senator and expressing your opposition to Section 15 of Senate Bill 843. We need your help to defeat this section of the bill!</SPAN></SPAN>

As indicated in my February 13th E-mail, this E-mail provides a sample letter with refined talking points for you to use to contact your legislator and voice your opposition to the Section 15 of Senate Bill 843. The sample letter is provided below for your information and use. Feel free to modify the letter as you wish.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

Thank you for contacting your legislator on this important issue.</SPAN></SPAN>

Dave Bajumpaa</SPAN></SPAN>

Connecticut Council of Car Clubs </SPAN></SPAN>

Sample Letter to Your Legislator:</SPAN></SPAN>

Dear State Senator/Representative:</SPAN></SPAN>

I am opposed to Section 15 of Senate Bill 843 that proposes to eliminate the current limit on the maximum assessed value of an antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle for determining local property tax. In its place, an antique, rare or special interest motor vehicle would be treated </SPAN>in the same manner as all other motor vehicles in the state. I feel that this is unacceptable for the following reasons:</SPAN></SPAN>

1. I am an antique auto hobbyist. I maintain modern motor vehicles that I use a primary transportation in addition to my antique motor vehicle(s). I already pay my fair of local property tax on my modern motor vehicles, just like every other taxpayer in the state. For the purposes of local property taxation, treating an antique motor vehicle as any other motor vehicle has the potential </SPAN>to unfairly increase the local property tax burden on the antique auto hobbyist</SPAN>. I consider this to be unfair and inappropriate because:</SPAN></SPAN>

• My antique autos are well-maintained, infrequently operated hobby cars and deserving of continued property tax benefits. </SPAN>Other hobbies, such as artwork, antique furniture, stamps, coins, stamps, rare books, home theater systems, jewelry, sports collectibles, etc. are not currently and should not be subject to taxation. As a hobby, antique autos should not be unfairly singled out for taxation.</SPAN></SPAN>

• My antique autos provide benefits to the community that many other hobbies don’t provide. There are several car shows each weekend in the state throughout the late spring, summer, and early fall. These car shows occur in numerous municipalities throughout the state, including East Hampton, Manchester, Middletown, New Britain, Norwich, Southbury, Stafford Springs, Stratford, and </SPAN>[consider adding examples of car shows that are in your legislator’s district here].</SPAN> These car shows benefit local charities and organizations. These shows result in significant revenues to these charities and organizations.</SPAN> In addition to car shows on the weekends, there are cruise nights in Connecticut on every weeknight throughout the late spring, summer, and early fall. Cruise nights occur in many municipalities throughout the state, including East Granby, Hamden, New London, Westport, and </SPAN>[consider adding other locations in your legislator’s district here]</SPAN>) These car shows and cruise nights result in increased spending at restaurants and local business throughout the state, indirectly helping increase state revenues. Additionally, the use of antique autos in local parades and other town functions throughout the state provide a positive benefit to the community.</SPAN></SPAN>

1. Treating the taxation of an antique auto like any other motor vehicle for would cause the Connecticut antique auto hobbyist to reconsider whether we could afford to maintain our existing antique cars and/or restore additional cars. The antique auto hobby supports an entire industry in the state that relies on the revenue generated by the restoration and maintenance of antique vehicles. These businesses are located throughout the state, including East Windsor, Fairfield, Old Saybrook, Portland, Westbrook and </SPAN>[consider adding other locations in your legislator’s district here]</SPAN>. Section 15 of proposed Senate Bill 843 is adverse to those businesses that the antique auto hobby supports. These businesses create and maintain jobs that are vital in these difficult economic times. Jobs will be jeopardized if Section 15 of proposed Senate Bill 843 is enacted.</SPAN></SPAN>

1. Determining the value of an antique automobile for the purposes of assessing property tax is an extremely difficult one that introduces significant and unique challenges for both the municipal property tax assessors and the antique auto hobbyist. The value of an antique vehicle is extremely subjective and dependent upon many factors, including condition of the vehicle. Determining a reasonable assessed value of an antique motor vehicle would impose an unwarranted burden on both the municipal property tax assessors and the antique auto hobbyists.</SPAN></SPAN>

I understand Section 16 of Senate Bill 843 proposes to exempt up to the first $20,000 of the assessed value of any motor vehicle from local property tax. Should Section 16 of Senate Bill 843 be enacted, rather than eliminate the maximum assessed value on an antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles as currently proposed in Section 15 of Senate Bill 843, a corresponding statute change to exempt antique, rare or special interest motor vehicles from local property taxation should be enacted.</SPAN></SPAN>

I would appreciate your consideration of and feedback on this matter.</SPAN></SPAN>

Very Truly Yours,</SPAN></SPAN>

Your Name</SPAN></SPAN>

City or Town</SPAN></SPAN>