Third brake light?

cool57

I know, I don't like them in old cars either; but, with today's inattentive drivers and the low stance Rivs have I think it might be a very useful accessory. Has anyone installed one that doesn't look bad?

LED 3rd Brake Lights

Ron Francis Rear Window 3rd Brake Lights

Its on my list of wiring ...the tail lights on the 65 are REALLY low on a lowered car....I like the Ron Francis pieces, I haven't bought anything yet but there are lots of options.....

I think it would look cool if you converted the fake air vent under the rear window into a third brake light. Use a smoked lens ala late 70's/early 80's Trans Am's.

I've considered that but I'm not ready to start cutting into the body which that would require.

Guest brivi65

You can get creative, I love anything TIKI, so I had a cool hollow plastic TIKI from Hot Rod that they sold a few years ago, I drilled some holes in his eyes and installed red LEDs in them, they are really bright and the wires run out under the package tray so you don't even see them, mounted the TIKI with 3M tape and done, my friend did the same thing in his 60 Caddy but with some cheap plastic bongo drums, he ran a flexable LED strip around the top of the drums like a moulding, when they are not on they are not noticed at all, but very bright when on! Brian

You can get creative, I love anything TIKI, so I had a cool hollow plastic TIKI from Hot Rod that they sold a few years ago, I drilled some holes in his eyes and installed red LEDs in them, they are really bright and the wires run out under the package tray so you don't even see them, mounted the TIKI with 3M tape and done, my friend did the same thing in his 60 Caddy but with some cheap plastic bongo drums, he ran a flexable LED strip around the top of the drums like a moulding, when they are not on they are not noticed at all, but very bright when on! Brian

Brian, the tiki idea is very creative, I like it! Can you post a pic? The bongos idea had crossed my mind. Also the fuzzy white cat...kitschy.

Guest brivi65

Wow cool57, a fuzzy white cat with bright red glowing eyes will definitely keep people off your back bumper, and scare the neighborhood kids, it's a win-win! Heres my angry TIKI god, the battery is unhooked or I would show it lit up. Brian

post-90681-143141772213_thumb.jpg

Guest brivi65
That is cool, now I want one! Do I see pearl white interior?

Thank you cool57, why yes it is, I know Buick didn't offer pearl white in 65, but I always wanted a car with pearl white int, so I had it done and I love it, I get some Buick purests that let me know I have a 65 GTO interior, and I say thank you for noticing! Brian

post-90681-143141773531_thumb.jpg

Guest 75RivGS

Last week I bought one for $3.00 at a garage sale. I might use it for my 71 (green) Electra; aftermarket and NOS from the end of the seventies/early eighties. Close enough for me though.

rem_zps189af564.jpg

rem1_zps58ae1ce6.jpg

Thank you cool57, why yes it is, I know Buick didn't offer pearl white in 65, but I always wanted a car with pearl white int, so I had it done and I love it, I get some Buick purests that let me know I have a 65 GTO interior, and I say thank you for noticing! Brian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180258[/ATTACH]

I thought the diagonal pattern was GTO! Did you have it stitched up to match or actually adapt a GTO kit? Even the door panels match the seats, it looks great.

Guest brivi65

"I thought the diagonal pattern was GTO! Did you have it stitched up to match or actually adapt a GTO kit? Even the door panels match the seats, it looks great.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> (cool57)"

Thanks cool57, no, I had a local shop here do it,I gave him the design and he stitched it up, I always loved the GTO design of the sideways pleats, and he did a great job of matching everything, people that aren't "Buick people" think it's stock. Brian

post-90681-143141780372_thumb.jpg

Edited by brivi65 (see edit history)

Guest 63 rivenge

I like the interior, doing under my hood now as I was putting on a new Valley cover, and new Valve covers from PML.......Trying to figure out a trick 3rd brake light

Guest brivi65
I like the interior, doing under my hood now as I was putting on a new Valley cover, and new Valve covers from PML.......Trying to figure out a trick 3rd brake light

Thanks Bob, wow, that is sweet, do you leave it under the hood all the time, or just shows? Brian

Guest 63 rivenge

Brian, I just did it and it pops right out.I got the material from Garys upholstery from FLA., he has all kinds of material by the yard. cost me $29 for a yard. I made a template out of hard card board, used some headliner adhesive and thats it. It would look good on yours.....nice car by the way.....for a third brake light I am leaning for a Cadillac light, have to find the right one, and going to put it below the rear window on the outside.....I will keep you posted

• 1 year later...
I know, I don't like them in old cars either; but, with today's inattentive drivers and the low stance Rivs have I think it might be a very useful accessory. Has anyone installed one that doesn't look bad?

I'm bringing this back up as I am looking for a decent one to install before replacing my package tray. I bought one before realizing how small that rear window is from the perspective of the rear view mirror. Because of the angle of the rear window, the light is big enough to reduce the view considerably so I'm still looking.

Steve

Guest brivi65
I'm bringing this back up as I am looking for a decent one to install before replacing my package tray. I bought one before realizing how small that rear window is from the perspective of the rear view mirror. Because of the angle of the rear window, the light is big enough to reduce the view considerably so I'm still looking.

Steve

Hello Steve, with the way these LEDs are and as small as they make them these days, I have seen some very creative way to hide them, I am redoing mine to add more lights and make them brighter, when I did mine 4 years ago the LEDs were big so I had limited choices, but I have seen guys put a small strip of red LEDs right at the top of the rear window and you couldn't see them if you were looking for them when they are not on! Amazon has a ton of choices in small flexible light strips, I'm sure you will find something cool! Attached is 2 pics from a friends 73 BMW 2002, when they are off, you can hardly see them.. Brian

post-18474-13667655438579_thumb.jpgpost-18474-1366765544069_thumb.jpg