1940 Ford Woodie restoration

Guest groinky

Guest groinky

I have recently purchased a 1940 Ford Deluxe Woodie which is essentially complete but needs a total restoration. The original engine was seized so I have retained it in case it is needed in the future.

To replace the original engine and give it a little more power, I have purchased a 1949 Ford flathead that has been totally rebuilt and upgraded. It has Aluminum Offenhauser heads and intake manifold and an Edelbrock 390 carb. The engine has been balanced and has an MSD electronic ignition, mild cam and Johnson adjustable lifters. My objective is to have a dependable Woodie that is capable of highway speeds so my wife and I can take it on a cross country trip.

Although the engine will not be totally stock it is a flathead and the balance of the car will be restored to original condition.

My concern is the original column mounted three speed transmission and the rear end. Are they compatible with the engine I am using , and will the car comfortably cruise at say 65 mph? I have thought about trying to locate a Columbia 2 speed rear end or even installing a T5 to get overdrive for highway cruising.

Some of you I'm sure could provide me with some good advice on the subject.

Cheers from Nova Scotia

Jim Stevenson

Guest Rob McDonald

Pictures, please, we all love pictures. That's a fine substitution for your original 85 hp chugger and it's good of you to save the old lump for future purity. If you're not going to wring it out like a teenager, the 3-speed gearbox and a Columbia 2-speed rear will provide a nice vintage driving experience. Now, about those pictures...

Guest groinky

Pictures are coming. The car is in winter storage 30 miles away and it is storming out today. No burnouts with this car. I have a Shelby Gt 500 for that . Also a 1910 Franklin for going slow.

Now I have to acquire a Columbia 2 speed rear end

groinky, another option to the 2 sp Columbia is a overdrive system that Sacramento Vintage Ford sells. My dad installed one on his 40 coupe. It goes in the torque tube. Made for a real nice driving car (but is not 100% original if that i what you are going for.

gearsplitter1-vi.jpg

Unfortunately, I do not have much info other than he purchased it from Sacramento Vintage Ford (Old Ford Parts) and it is cable activated. Looking at the website they say it is a Mitchell Overdrive. It worked really nice and made all the difference compared to his flattie powered stock 40 sedan.

Here is a link to a website I found via google

1932-1948 Mitchell Overdrive Kit - Ford - MAC's Antique Auto Parts

• 1 month later...
Guest woodeneye

Groinky, or Jim, congrats on your purchase. I am also working on a 40 deluxe and am in need of some information about the second and third seat legs. Trying to figure out which legs go on which seat. Any help would be appreciated. Reach me here , Woodeneye or email at nel002@aol.com. Thanks, Dave.