Chrysler 6-door limo

MarrsCars

I remember seeing a worn out 6-door Chrysler limo when I was younger sitting in somebody's front yard on one of our typical weekend drives where my father and I would wander around the countryside and backroads looking for things of interest be it a garage sale, a new antique store, an old car in a field, etc. My dad went to have a look to consider buying it for a project but it was gone by the next week when we got there. That seems to always happen with the cars that have otherwise sat for years with no attention.

This was in a small town outside of Muncie, Indiana and the car stuck in my mind ever since. It was probably around a 1962 or so, I'd guess taxi service or funeral car since it had 6-doors. I'd like to know if this is a correct assumption or were there private or government cars made with 6-doors? Finally, did anyone here buy the car in the late 1980's or early 90's or know of it's whereabouts?

Chrysler made a mass produced limousine type body in the forties and up to 1954. They were available in Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler and Imperial 8 pass sedans and limos. But they all had 4 doors. Did you ever notice the Cunningham family car in Happy Days? That is what one looks like, a DeSoto Suburban with roof rack.

After 54 any limos were custom built. Ghia in Italy built a few for Chrysler every year. These were real expensive "carriage trade" limos. There were also American made conversions like the Stageways above for airport limo and light bus work.

Thanks all, the car was definitely of the Stageways variety, not a Ghia. Oddly, I knew of the Ghia limos even way back then thanks to the movie The Godfather.

I'll have to look for the Happy Days car online as I do not remember it from the show, but until somewhat recently I did live a block away from the actual house they used for the exterior shots in Hancock Park, Los Angeles. We often noticed tour buses gliding through the neighborhood but sadly no old limos!

Edit: Found the Happy Days car here: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_147556-De-Soto-Suburban-1948.html

Apparently it is also now on display at the LeMay museum in Washington State. I don't know if it is on rotating exhibition or permanent display but it is always prudent to call a car museum before heading out if you want to see a specific car. (PS- Many museums will allow you to visit a specific item in their archives that is not on display with enough advanced notice.)

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

Chrysler made a mass produced limousine type body in the forties and up to 1954. They were available in Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler and Imperial 8 pass sedans and limos. But they all had 4 doors. Did you ever notice the Cunningham family car in Happy Days? That is what one looks like, a DeSoto Suburban with roof rack.

After 54 any limos were custom built. Ghia in Italy built a few for Chrysler every year. These were real expensive "carriage trade" limos. There were also American made conversions like the Stageways above for airport limo and light bus work.

Chrysler began building LWB sedans in 1935. For 1936 DeSoto began offering a LWB sedan for taxi use. The cars were built with the bodies in white with no interiors and were completed for use as a taxi by Waters. The last LWB Plymouth was 1941, Dodge 1951, DeSoto and Chrysler 1954 and Imperial 1956.

The 1955-56 Imperials were not Ghia built but were Chrysler units. DeSoto was initially to use the LWB body for its 1955 taxi, but New York changed its taxi regulations and a LWB model was no longer needed. Checker also stopped production of its LWB taxi in late 1954 and then proceeded to tool and build a new standard wheelbase taxi.

With the elimination of the taxi trade, LWB sedans were no longer economically viable. It was too late for the 1955 bodies, but when the 1957 models were being designed Chrysler decided to have LWB Imperial limousines custom built.