New one-inch pulley for 6-volt, +=ground Delco alternator for Packard 356

Guest Water Jacket

Guest Water Jacket

Last month, i posted the below asking for information on a positive-ground, six-volt alternator for my '47 Packard Super Clipper, figuring in all these years, someone with a 1940-42 160/180, 1942-47 Super/Custom Super Clipper or non-Classic 1948-50 Custom Eight might be running such, especially as some of the prewar cars left the factory with air conditioning, power windows, underseat heaters, and some Caravaners even added CB radios back in the '70s.

It turned out there are several companies around the country offering reworked Delco alternators with universal mounting brackets for various old cars, Classic and non-Classic, whether originally the three brush generator, or the newer two-brush as in the '40s.

The firm i ordered mine from assured me they would install their widest pulley, which was good for fanbelts "....up to an inch wide,"

which, as any of you with 1940-on Classic Packards knows, is the width of the fanbelts our 356 engined-cars use (Gates part #s 665, 676; Goodyear 5373, Dayco 831X).

Having long since made my authenticity bones, i'm doing this merely as weight's the enemy in any road car, and already getting rid of over 100lbs. like the idea of losing a few more in these nose-heavy locomotives, the commonly reworked, modern Delco alternator weighing but nine (9) lbs. That, and they put out 55 amps at dead idle,

nice at night since our headlights and taillights are feeble by modern standards, generators not producing any power until 800 or so engine rpm, and their maximum 35 amps at 2,000 rpm, which corresponds to 60 mph in overdrive for my car. So it's hardly like the car's being hot rodded or butchered, this being, again, a bolt-in mod.

After much assurance that they now offered such a reworked alternator with a pulley wide enough for a Packard 356's inch-wide fanbelt, i ordered a 6-volt, positive ground alternator. Which arrived with a 3/4-inch pulley. No amount of search, Googling, calling has thus far unearthed a suitable pulley.

So....if anyone knows of any, i and several other '40s senior Packard owners are all ears. Many thanks!

Edited by Water Jacket (see edit history)