Not Always A Good Day For A Buick

Guest shadetree77

LOOK!! Somebody dropped a house on that Buick!! Lol. Tried to get my Wife to let me buy this one. It's a STEAL at $4000. I told her I'd have it on the road in time to travel to Portland. Think of all the hotel money we'd save!:rolleyes::P

Eat Spam and Vegemite and drink Koolaid...that will save you enough money to buy me a beer :D.

If you showed up in that 'thing' you would attract more attention than a 400 point car.

That had to be a terrible experience Kris. I understand insurance covered it pretty well? Those trusses look pretty substantial. what was determined to be the weak point and cause of the cave in? Was that the most snow the roof had ever seen?

Guest wildcat62

Doug, it sure did. Those photos are about two weeks after the collapse. There's already two rows of cars removed and about 20 feet of roof removed. Pictured were rows three and behind those, four. With all the snow it was a wall of white for about 10 days. We didn't know how bad it might be or what cars were damaged or totaled.

Lamar, it was and yes, luckily the building was appropriately insured (pole building owners always a good idea to check your policy or ask your agent!) The gentlemen removing the roof and debris said it was held together with roofing nails. The barn was built in the late 60's and was definitely not up to code. There were multiple issues and ultimately the failure was poorly built structure. We did have a tough winter. It was cold and snowy so not much melt, although I was certain we had much more snow last year. All around a bad build and as Paul said to me the other day "Take the number for the house inspector you used, ball it up and throw it away". The construction company we are using now was surprised it stood long as it did.

So a few less cars, lots of minor damage to cars to fix, and a few more substantial projects. The rebuild is going forward quickly now.

post-37573-143142530154_thumb.jpgMonday

post-37573-143142530177_thumb.jpgFriday

My motto is now "Could have been worse!"

Kris,

Wow!! Seeing the pics of the damage is just plain heart breaking...

Out of curiosity, what cars got totaled? Did the '62 survive?

(Will be heading your way in August for the Regional)

Guest shadetree77
Got hit while parked

HOLY CRAP. How fast were they going when they hit it?

Here's another facebook find:

post-75106-143142534521_thumb.jpg

My son's Lesabre......

He had been on the Expressway three hours earlier, was on his way to a friend's birthday party later that day when the girl friend states she had forgotten something, turned a corner to go back and totally looses all steering.........

post-36036-143142534736_thumb.jpg

Car is now scrap (bad day for the Buick) but at least I'm not going to two funerals.......

post-36036-143142534728_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142534732_thumb.jpg

My son's Lesabre......

He had been on the Expressway three hours earlier, was on his way to a friend's birthday party later that day when the girl friend states she had forgotten something, turned a corner to go back and totally looses all steering.........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]249996[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]249997[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]249998[/ATTACH]

Car is now scrap (bad day for the Buick) but at least I'm not going to two funerals.......

How did that pass inspection??

How did that pass inspection??

Typical rust of the engine cradle. That's an owner's responsibility to check ( and not just when purchasing the car) it's not the state's or the fed's responsibility. It's your family whose lives are at stake, take the responsibility for them.

Typical rust of the engine cradle. That's an owner's responsibility to check ( and not just when purchasing the car) it's not the state's or the fed's responsibility. It's your family whose lives are at stake, take the responsibility for them.

PM Sent

I'm responding to my own quote here. I looked back and re-read my post and as I re-read it it comes off sounding like I'm criticizing dei and/or his son. That was not my intent. My intent was for everyone to take the responsibility to ensure their car is safe to drive at all time and if it's part of your responsibility, pass that information on to other family members. It wasn't that dei's son was irresponsible that urged me to write, it was more that we're becoming a society that's expecting the government to watch over everything we do and if something happens, it's the fault of the government rather than our own fault. I'm not familiar with the rules and regs for states/countries other than Kansas in the USA. I know that in KS if you purchase a car with a KS title, there's no inspection when you buy it or anytime there after. If you purchase a car with a non-KS title, you just need to have the highway patrol match the physical VIN on the vehicle with the VIN on the title. It's up to us as owners to make sure our vehicles are in shape to be driven; my state only renews registrations so it's up to me to protect my family, make sure that they do the same as adults, and hopefully pass that responsibility to my grandchildren.

Once again, my apologies to anyone who I may have singled out; not my intent.

Ed

Guest wildcat62
Kris,

Wow!! Seeing the pics of the damage is just plain heart breaking...

Out of curiosity, what cars got totaled? Did the '62 survive?

(Will be heading your way in August for the Regional)

It's hard to see but in the last photo you can see the Wildcat under the front lift on the right. A couple nasty scratches but no dents and thankfully the vinyl top intact. I felt a lot of relief when I saw it appear as the snow melted.

All the cars on top of the lifts (four) were officially totaled by the insurance companies, although at least 2 will be fixed and live on. Kevin's 99 Silver Arrow and 67 GS will be fixed. His 67 was sold to a younger member of our local chapter who is busily working on it. Both our 85 t-types were smushed. Mine has become an "organ donor" for some other cars for family and friends. Paul might be able to post a photo. The other one is still here.

For some reason it is difficult to get a body shop to take 13 cars at once. :rolleyes:

Look forward to seeing you in August, we'll have to give you the tour!

Jason,

The 72 fared well. A dent in the header panel and several dents in the trunk lid and a broken "Riviera" trunk emblem with misc. scuffs/scratches all over. I have a feeling that fate must love Oldsmobiles. My 67 Toronado was parked right in the middle of this mess and did not get one scratch ( the one car that REALLY needs a paint job ).

• 1 month later...
Guest shadetree77

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hkl4yqPG92w" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

ouch....

Man, I hope that Riv was hit while parked.

Dick Sweeny had a post about the the 65 Riv crash last year on the ROA forum. Here is the link http://forums.aaca.org/f177/need-65-project-paste-your-browser-357255.html The original link Dick posted in the thread is no longer any good but it was an aution for the same wrecked car shown above.

Reading on to his last update in same thread there were 3 people in the car and they amazingly all survived.

Reading on to his last update in same thread there were 3 people in the car and they amazingly all survived.

That's amazing.

There is something more scary seeing the "collector car" wreck than period "accidents".

The GN Willie mentioned fits in that category for me.

Drive safely gang!!!

• 1 month later...

The snow probably had something to do with the initial impact, but I bet that it helped the car slide rather than roll on impact. I slid my dad's '57 Special off the road in a rain storm and the investigating State Trooper said that even though I probably would not have had the accident if the pavement had been dry, I was lucky the shoulders were wet because instead of sliding across the wet grass in the ditch, I probably would have rolled the car.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...