picture of resoration of 1953/1954 chevrolet tin woody

Guest dutchbuick

Guest dutchbuick

Has anyone pictures of the resauration of there tinwoody's.

What size of piano hinge was used for the tailgate and how was it attaced to the car.

what, were and how with the rubber on the tailgate.

Who sells the handles and arms for the lower parts off the tailgate.

Thanks John

Edited by dutchbuick
incomplete question (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tavishdad

I have three tin woodies. One '50 and two '52 models.I'm doing a resto-mod of one of the 52 Chevy tin woodies now. You can see photos at Photobucket:

52 Tin Woody Project Photos by tavishdad | Photobucket

We're doing the sheet metal repair at this time. The piano hinge is .062 material, 2" wide (open), 1" knuckle length, .187 dia wire. I believe it is 53" long but you will probably need to buy one 60" or 72" long and cut it to length. It is screwed into the top of the tailpan and to the bottom of the tailgate. Every 8" or so. If you don't have existing holes to match, you can buy it predrilled. You can then elongate the holes a bit on one side so you can have a bit of right/left adjustment of the tailgate when mounting it. Can't help with the rubber seals since none of mine had them when i got them. Good luck on finding the handles and arms; only one of mine had the inside and outside latch handles for the tailgate.

Bill

Guest dutchbuick

Thanks Bill, I will take a look at you photobucket and thanks for the info you are a great help.

John

I have three tin woodies. One '50 and two '52 models.I'm doing a resto-mod of one of the 52 Chevy tin woodies now. You can see photos at Photobucket:

We're doing the sheet metal repair at this time. The piano hinge is .062 material, 2" wide (open), 1" knuckle length, .187 dia wire. I believe it is 53" long but you will probably need to buy one 60" or 72" long and cut it to length. It is screwed into the top of the tailpan and to the bottom of the tailgate. Every 8" or so. If you don't have existing holes to match, you can buy it predrilled. You can then elongate the holes a bit on one side so you can have a bit of right/left adjustment of the tailgate when mounting it. Can't help with the rubber seals since none of mine had them when i got them. Good luck on finding the handles and arms; only one of mine had the inside and outside latch handles for the tailgate.

Bill

Guest dutchbuick

Thanks Bill, I will take a look at you photobucket and thanks for the info you are a great help.

The back end has had a ruff life but i'm happy to see that it on the right track.

I have a idea with the handles off the tailgate (not liftgate) If they are the same and the costs are allright can you have them casted by someone near you?

O'brien truckers does a lot off that stuff.

Let me know what you thoughts are on this please.

John

Bill

Guest tavishdad

They are made from steel, not castings. Mine are off for chrome plating right now. I will take a look at one from one of the other cars when I get home Tuesday and see if i can give you the dimensions so you can have them made up. I don't think it would be that hard to do. There is a salvage company parting out a '50 woody right now on ebay and they have a set up for sale but they want quite a bit for them. Just search for " 50 chevy tin woody" and you will find them. I bought the inside window garnish mouldings from them for mine since they were missing when i got it.

Bill

Guest dutchbuick

Yep i know but they do not sell outside the usa.

To bad for me I tryed some salvageyards but they didn't have them.

Thanks John

They are made from steel, not castings. Mine are off for chrome plating right now. I will take a look at one from one of the other cars when I get home Tuesday and see if i can give you the dimensions so you can have them made up. I don't think it would be that hard to do. There is a salvage company parting out a '50 woody right now on ebay and they have a set up for sale but they want quite a bit for them. Just search for " 50 chevy tin woody" and you will find them. I bought the inside window garnish mouldings from them for mine since they were missing when i got it.

Bill