1933 Hudson Terraplane grille shell

lump

Hello. Folks on another forum kindly helped me ID a nice old grille shell that I have, as a 1933 Hudson Terraplane. Following are some photos:

GrilleIDImageLoRez4.jpg

GrilleIDimageLoRez1.jpg

GrilleIDImageLoRez6.jpg

Can anyone tell me if there is any demand for original 1933 Terraplane grilles in good shape? Or, is it maybe "too rare," with little demand? Can anyone help me to figure out what it might be worth? A local hot rodder has been after it for a while, but he wants to put it on a "rat rod," and may have plans to cut or modify it. I posted it on the Jalopy Journal forum, and immediately two folks sent me PM's wanting to buy it, but again, both of them are rodders. I like hot rods just fine, but I would hate to see an original grille shell in good shape cut up, IF there were restorers desperately searching for original grille shells (after all, hot rodders could use many different grille shells for their purposes, but an owner of a '33 Terraplane resto project would require this specific unit).

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give. :)

It's very thoughful of you to give "first right of refusal" to someone trying to restore a '33 Terraplane. The shell looks to be in excellent shape and if someone is currently restoring a '33, he might indeed be in the market for this. Why don't you go over to the Hudson Forum at Hudson Discussions on Classic Car Forum and post this? Or, if you find it's too much hassle to register there, I would be glad to post it for you. (I would need some sort of contact information for you, though.) You can reach me at HETdetailed@verizon.net , drop the HET before e-mailing.

Have you sold this grille shell yet? I am interested.

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan, No, it is not yet sold. But one other restorer has asked for more detailed photos, which I hope to send to him today. Then if he is still interested, I will work with my buddy to establish a price. If he does not take it, I will offer it to you next. For the record, there are 3 hot rodders who want the grille shell, but the way I see it, they can use about any old neat-looking grille...whereas a restorer must use the exactly-correct grille. So I do plan to give fellow restorers the first shot.

A couple of folks asked to see some additional photos. Here is one showing the underside of the bottom "V" area:

GrilleIDimageLoRez21_zpsd396decf.jpg

The metal is very solid, with surface rust. I have not even wiped off the dirt, so there is flaky rust and peeling chrome here and there.

• 2 months later...

hi this may be a long shot . i am very interested in this grill,

Sorry, once this grille shell was identified, 3 or 4 people wanted it. I have shipped it to a new home. On the positive side, I learned that there are several owners of '33 Terraplanes doing restorations right now, so you may be able to correspond with them on this forum, if that is helpful. Good luck!

• 4 months later...
Guest ivanz62

Pat,

The one in your photo is a 6 cylinder--it has louvers in the hood sides instead of doors. Not sure if 32 or 33. Nice car to find though!

Ivan