Replacing windshield rubber

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

1. Does the windshield frame need to be removed from the car? Can I simply loosen the screws on either side of the windshield frame and slide the T rubber in?

2. How is the windshield removed? It is difficult to get to the screws at the top of the winshield.

3. As always any help greatly appreciated.

Hi Doug, I did it before I reinstalled the windshield assy on the car but I don't see why you couldn't leave it on the car. If you tilt it out so bottom is toward radiator I think there is enough room to get it started (there is a small area where the channel is wider to facilitate getting the new piece in - at least there was on my '25 touring car). I put some liquid soap/water solution on it to help make it easy to slide. The only thing that may still prompt you to remove the assembly from the car is if pieces of the old seal are still stuck in the channel. I'm guessing it would be much more difficult to clean it out while it is on the car. I don't remember if you have a sedan or touring but on the touring it is pretty easy to remove the windshield. The stanchion bolts will need to be loosened, then the acorn bolts on the sides removed. There are (supposed to be) ball bearings in there for the tilt mechanism which will fall out. If you lose any Tom Meyers does have them available. Grease helps to keep them in place upon reassembly.

Guest MidTNDawg

Sometimes I think I have gone brain dead. The car is a 1930 Model DA DeLuxe. I do think the replacement will be much easier if I can get the windshield out.

Is the proper process to remove the screws located under the panel inside the car above the windshield?

Sometimes I think I have gone brain dead. The car is a 1930 Model DA DeLuxe. I do think the replacement will be much easier if I can get the windshield out.

Is the proper process to remove the screws located under the panel inside the car above the windshield?

Doug...I believe that your windshield mounts like my 1931 windshield. Remove the rear view mirror. Remove the sheet metal header panel cover. Take the thumbscrews all of the way out of the windshield brackets and get a towel and a 2x4 and prop the windshield up from the cowl. You will see a number of screws going straight up into the header panel. Have someone hold the windshield while you remove the screws and you should be in business.

post-37352-143141721084_thumb.jpg

Doug,

The method described by Keiser 31 is what I used to remove my DA windshield. It is much easier to get the T-rubber into the frame with the windshield off the car. This will give you a chance to make other repairs if needed. Pay attention to the rubber seal that was used between the windshield hinge and the body of the car. I was not able to find a direct replacement for it. It has an overhang that covers the hinge. It is probably as hard as a rock, but try to save a piece for future reference if you can. If you are able to find a suitable replacement please let us know. Thanks Terry

Guest MidTNDawg

Terry, thanks. The hinge rubber seems fine. Is it likely to break while replacing the other? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Guest MidTNDawg
Doug, The rubber seal on my DA was as brittle as a piece of thin ice. Yours might be fine, you never know. Terry
Terry, boy did I ever mis-speak, or I suppose I should say mis-write. There was no rubber on the hinge. No sign there ever was. I have the windshield out now thanks to CRC Screw Loose. I 've written about it before. Much better than PB Blaster or anything else I have found.Now my problem is separating the windshield to get the old rubber out. Any suggestions once again will be greatly appreciated.

Doug I have never put a new rubber in this particular vehicle so I cannot tell you step by step without maybe getting myself into trouble.

I will say that I have replaced many a rubber for windshields/back glass and if the rubber is old/cracked,hardened/useless than just cut it out with a utility knife or whatever you have.

I went out and snapped a picture of my own windshield assy as as you can see its a matter of removing both plates on the ends, once these are off inserting something between this split and prying up and off the trim to expose the rubber and glass.

Dont pry anywhere on the glass but pry on the metal casing if need be to loosen this outer band,your old rubber has prob. vulcanized itself to the steel surround you are trying to pry off but I dont see it as being overly difficult. I would use caution though so you do not twist or bend the band any worse than you have too.

Putting the new one in.....let it sit in the sun, warm it up, use a product called rubber care during installation, once you use it you will not use anything else when trying to manipulate rubbers.

Hope this helps!

post-48869-143141737401_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141737433_thumb.jpg

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks Jason. Do you think the Rubber Care would help loosen the old rubber from the metal frame? You are correct the old rubber must have vukcanized itself to the frame. I will buy some of the Rubber Care as soon as I can find it.

No I do not think so, the rubber care will make the new rubber easier to work with, slide easy ect. You may want to try inserting a piano wire/welding wire any sort of wire and cutting around the rubber. You would have to make an incision and insert the wire thru the incision and then pull the wire back and forth as if to make a sawing motion.

If you go to Napa they will sell you a special cutting wire for this, tell them you want to cut out a windshield, again welding wire will work though but will take more time and is more difficult.

Guest MidTNDawg

Well, it is all done. As usual, it was not really difficult, but you do need patience and just keep at the job. Thanks again to all,