1938 Chrysler royal

Is there anyone out there that can tell me for sure if a 1938 Chrysler Royal is positive ground or a negative ground? This car is impossible! Thanks guys.

1938 would have been positive ground, however its not a big deal to change polarity to negative earth making it more adaptable to modern aftermarket accessories, radio etc. If you are worried about starter motor ,wiper motor etc. going to negative ground wont affect them, you will have to reverse the leads on the back of the amp meter to make it read correctly.

Do a search on the changeover procedure, its been done many times before and is only a matter of changing a couple of wires.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me for sure if a 1938 Chrysler Royal is positive ground or a negative ground? This car is impossible! Thanks guys.

Originally positive ground, but as hchris writes, it is pretty easy to change polarity and it may have been done in the past.

In what way do you mean "this car is impossible"? In general, Chrysler built cars of that era are pretty simple and easy to understand. They are, however, different than modern cars in many respects. Lockheed brakes come to mind...

Thanks for the info guys, im used to newer cars or 12 volt negative ground. The points were bad so i put a pertronix in it.......Just smoked it....Got to luv it...

I've found that points work quite well and are cheap and easy to obtain every 10,000 to 15,000 miles which, with the limited driving I do in the old car, works out to every 5 or so years. It would probably take until the end of my life to make up the cost differential. Also I'm comfortable with the reliability of a points based ignition as I've driven many hundreds of thousands of miles in cars so equipped with never an on the road failure of that part of the car.

But if you must go with an electronic ignition, I understand that Pertronix does make a unit that works on 6v positive ground systems.

I'd suggest getting the factory service manual for the car. You'll find that while many things are different than you might be used to they aren't all that hard to do and it can save you from making expensive mistakes that can happen if you don't fully understand what you are maintaining or modifying.

Thanks for the info guys, im used to newer cars or 12 volt negative ground. The points were bad so i put a pertronix in it.......Just smoked it....Got to luv it...

Is there more too this ? an earthing issue shouldnt destroy the points

Is there more too this ? an earthing issue shouldnt destroy the points

But he put a Pertronix unit on it and that is solid state electronics which, unless specifically designed for the possibility, will have issues with reversed polarity.