Had the Liberty Brush out today

Chris Paulsen

• 2 months later...
Guest Nancy DeWitt

Sweet! Your weather is much nicer than ours right now.

I assume those kids have read the story of the Abernathy boys?

• 4 months later...

G'day from Australia.

About 1954 my grandmother and I were going in to the city (Brisbane Qld.) when she saw an old car on a car sales lot in Logan Road.. It was being used as an attention getter by Handasydes Holden dealership.

We got off the tram and went over to the car. My grandmother said it was the same as my great grandfather had in the early 1900's.

She asked if the salesman would take me for a short drive in it. He said he couldn't drive it but said that if grandma wanted to she could take me for a drive, which she did.

From that moment I was smitten by old cars. I can't recall what model it was but it made a lasting impression on me. I remember especially the wooden front axle, it's height and sound.

I have had several old cars in my time and have just about finished a very long and complete restoration of a 1930 Dodge Brothers 8 cylinder roadster from an absolute basket case.

I often wonder what happened to that little Brush that made such an impression on me as a 9 or 10 year old boy.

I'm pleased to see people out in their old cars, and suggest that we should encourage the young people of today by taking time to show our cars to them and talk to them about our cars. They are the future custodians of our cars and the future of our passion.

Cheers.

Jim