Power antenna

Barney Eaton

Thanks to the article I wrote about rebuilding power antennas in the ROA magazine last year, I am seeing (rebuilding) more early antenna. I want to thank those that have sent me antenna.

The reason for this post is to clarify the differences that I have found. I don't own a Riviera so my reference library is small on the car. The article was done to cover the 1980 to present GM power antennas. Prior to 1980 GM used power antenna from Tenna Corp in Cleveland OH. Tenna stopped making antennas sometime in the early '80's.

I have lots of experience with the 1980 and newer Delco antenna, and can repair and replace almost anything broken on them. However the Tenna antenna can be a problem because of replacement parts availabity. If you have one that is not working, I will try and help but it all depends on what is wrong with it. Over the holidays I did a 1965 Riv antenna and discovered while cleaning the parts that 2 of the 4 reduction gears were stripped. The customer happened to have a couple of extra antenna, so I was able to use parts from the other antenna to make one good one.

The '63-65 Riv antenna can be a problem because the mast does not fully retract into the fender, there is some 4-6 inches out of the fender when it is lowered. If the part sticking out is bent, the only replacement part I have found is another '63-'65 mast.

The motor end of all the Tenna antenna is pretty much the same from '63 to '79. The differences in power antenna is the mast part inside the fender. Various cars had different clearance requirements so the section of the antenna you cannot see will vary in length and the upper mounting brackets.

I am attaching a photo of some early power antenna that shows the different under fender mounting arrangements.

Thanks again for sending me antennas and I am happy to work with anyone that has a power antenna problem.post-30596-143139342229_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143139342222_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
Guest Jimmys 63

Hey Barney, I have a '63 Riviera, the power antenna worked sometimes and not others. I have power to the switch and power out of the switch but now doesnt work up or down. There are only two wires to the antenna, am I right in assuming that the hot and ground alternate wires to produce up and down motion? I jumped a hot and ground wire to the antenna and nothing happens. Bad antenna motor? Thanks Jimmy

Over the years, most of the problems with the early 'Tenna style' power antennas (...other than obvious broken cable, bent mast sections, or electrical gremlins), is a build up of 'crud and corrosion' with age and time, in the lower cable storage area. These units have crimped flanges, and were not really designed to be taken apart easily - with some tender persuasion, and a little determination, these units can be brought back to life with a complete disassembly and a good cleaning of the lower cable housing, including the nylon cable attatched to the upper sedtion of the antenna mast.

Proper adjustment and lubrication of the electric motor 'ball-clutch-unit' can be accomplished at the same time. The info in the Shop Manual will also help in repair or overhaul of a power antenna. Always 'bench test' a unit prior to installation in the car to ensure it functions OK, as it's no fun doing the same job twice !!

• 11 months later...

I am still repairing GM power antenna. Thanks to the Riviera Club, I have repaired several '63-'65 antennas. The problem is spare parts, if your antenna mast are in good shape, I have motor parts. As noted above, most of the problem is age and lack of use. The grease in the gear reduction on the pre '80 antennas gets hard. I have seen a few stripped gears, but disassembly, cleaning, lube and servicing the motor put most of them back into service. I also have a fixture to straighten bowed antenna mast. Most can be saved unless they are kinked or broken off and I have no supply of replacement mast. Some mast listed on Ebay are twice the price I charge to repair antennas. Clarks Corvair parts sells the black plastic part that is at the top of the fender on the early Riviera, they get around $26 plus shipping for them.

Let me know if I can help you with an antenna problem.

• Like 1

I am still repairing GM power antenna. Thanks to the Riviera Club, I have repaired several '63-'65 antennas. The problem is spare parts, if your antenna mast are in good shape, I have motor parts. As noted above, most of the problem is age and lack of use. The grease in the gear reduction on the pre '80 antennas gets hard. I have seen a few stripped gears, but disassembly, cleaning, lube and servicing the motor put most of them back into service. I also have a fixture to straighten bowed antenna mast. Most can be saved unless they are kinked or broken off and I have no supply of replacement mast. Some mast listed on Ebay are twice the price I charge to repair antennas. Clarks Corvair parts sells the black plastic part that is at the top of the fender on the early Riviera, they get around $26 plus shipping for them.

Let me know if I can help you with an antenna problem.

Barney, let me tell you what my power antenna is doing and tell me if you think it is fixable.....the motor runs just

fine, and the mast looks new and isn't bent, but when the motor runs the antenna stays where it is. In addition, I can manually

adjust the mast up and down it's entire normal movement and it will stay where it is, just like it's a manual antenna. This antenna

is on my 65 Riviera. Of course it really isn't a problem since I can manually adjust it, but someday I would like to fix it if it is possible.

The cable that winds up in the housing is probably broken. Replace it and you're probably good to go. Or let Barry fix it and you'll be sure it's good to go.

Ed

I've fixed a lot of antennas on later model 70's and up cars, usually when the plastic line breaks on the later model ones,

you don't have full movement up and down on the mast or it is frozen and won't move at all. That's why I was thinking maybe a gear problem, but I've never seen the insides of a 65 model antenna so they may act differently.....by the way......who's Barry? LOL!

Barry Eaton. Reatta guru. He's one of the valuable sources of information and parts for the 86 - 93 Rivieras. When Buick built the Reatta, they used a lot of Riviera technology on the Reatta so Barry has a lot of knowledge that transfers across models for those years. See post #5.

Ed

• Like 1

Barry Eaton. Reatta guru. He's one of the valuable sources of information and parts for the 86 - 93 Rivieras. When Buick built the Reatta, they used a lot of Riviera technology on the Reatta so Barry has a lot of knowledge that transfers across models for those years. See post #5.

Ed

Ed, I was pulling your leg......his name is actually Barney Eaton!

• 2 months later...
Guest carkifelek

Barney, I actually have a ’62 antenna. I have a small analog switch that I can use to control it. However, it operates on positive and negative voltage. That means that I can use positive voltage for making the antenna and negative voltage for lowering the antenna. However, the controller has only three terminals, I was wondering if I can use this analog switch to lower the antenna or to make it rise.

pcb fabrication and assembly

Edited by carkifelek (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clamshells

I sent Barney a box of parts including one very good but non-working 1st Gen antenna and a repro "plastic" and he sent me back one excellent and one very good antenna. Mind you I only expected one working antenna from the mess I sent him. Barney called and asked if I wanted two working antennas and for another 90.00 I have a back up on my shelf ;-). I highly recommend his service.

I sent Barney a box of parts including one very good but non-working 1st Gen antenna and a repro "plastic" and he sent me back one excellent and one very good antenna. Mind you I only expected one working antenna from the mess I sent him. Barney called and asked if I wanted two working antennas and for another 90.00 I have a back up on my shelf ;-). I highly recommend his service.

I'm another satisfied customer - he did an absolutely gorgeous job for my 1985 Corvette.

• 2 years later...
Guest viya0414

Ground the motor body and apply voltage to either wire. Voltage to wire #1 makes the motor raise the antenna mast and voltage to wire #2 lowers the antenna mast.

Tom Mooney

PCBA Assembly

• 1 year later...

Hey Barney Eaton, 

I had my mechanic take out my 64 Buick Riviera power antenna unit and he said, "its sort of working, I hear the motor running and could get the top 2 masts down but the last part seems to be stuck. Do you have a suggestion on how to provide maintenance to this assembly and or are you currently repairing these masts? 

Thanks JW

I am still around..........I can usually fix them.   The only problem is replacement chrome mast,  if yours is broken off or missing, kinked or dented, I cannot help as I have no extra masts.   For that reason I have several owners send me 2 or 3 antenna,  I take the best parts and make them one good one.     My emai = Barney@texas.net    should you want more info.

Ed mentioned the '63-65 antenna extends 8 or so inches out of the fender when completely down.   That makes them easy targets for damage.   When the BCA meet was in Milwaukee a couple years back, I shot several pictures of antenna on "show" cars and

there were some differences.....note the black insulator on a good one is maybe 2 inches long (showing) many have been shortened because they were damaged or cracked and there are no replacements available.   I have thought about having some made but suspect the price to machine a few would be excessive.  

Sorry,  don't know why the pictures are on their side.      The last sketch is what I believe a good original would be dimension wise.

DSCN0676.JPG

DSCN0680.JPG

DSCN0679.JPG

63.jpg

DSCN0677.JPG

DSCN0676.JPG

63-65 mast.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The plastic coated wire can be purchased at most home improvement stores... it is listed as 1/8 dia (that is the size over the plastic coating)

If you buy some, measure it first with calipers.... shoot for as close to .120 as you can get.  i have purchased it off Ebay and the tolerance varies often up to .130 which might bind in some places.   You need about 36 inches for the Delco Slimline (1980- to end of production) 

If you are doing a '60's or '70's Tenna antenna you need closer to 60 inches.

I have found a local machinist that will make the black plastic insulator that goes at the top of the fender.    He has made some for the '63-'65 Riviera and can do them for other years but we would need to know the length.  He charges $20 which seemed high at first but if he charges $100 per hour for his work, that would be 12 minutes of his time and there is no way he can machine one in that short period, so I think he is giving me a bargain. 

Good used chrome mast are still very hard to find and that may be the single item that prevent some from being repaired/rebuilt. 

If you have any power antenna question I can be reached at Barney@texas.net

Andrew,

Barney, not trying to take the bread & butter out of your mouth, BUT Andrew does have other options.

IF you are repairing the original power antenna as you know they don't go down all the way so you would need to put a hole in your car cover IF you use one. You do have options as far as a power antenna goes that will retract all the way so a hole doesn't need to be put into your cover & it still looks as stock.  Just do a search & you should be able to find it on this forum.

Tom T.

There are aftermarket antenna offered on Ebay and auto parts stores that retract to the fender line. 

All of these antenna are made in China and come with a set of plastic adaptors for the fender hole. 

Also you would need to do some wiring changes when using on any radio that did not have a output wire

sending 12v to the antenna that raises it when the radio is turned on.   None of the above are big problems but

none are plug n play.... you would need to adapt them to fit your fender trim and wiring. 

I have made a rough prototype for the 63 -65 Riviera using a late Delco Slimline antenna.   Made an adaptor at the top

and black insulator.... and the wiring is not an issue but time and lack of interest shelved the idea.