'30 steering wheel removal

wex65

OK, slightly embarrassing but how the heck do you remove the steering wheel?! :(

I can raise the chrome ring around the horn button (I think it is the spark retard lever etc) a little but it appears to be spring loaded and only moves maybe 1/4-1/2 inch. When I raise it I do see the hex nut holding the steering wheel to the column, very frustrating...

Thanks,

Paul

post-85740-143139341264_thumb.jpg

Edited by wex65 (see edit history)

You need to start at the other end of the steering column. Remove the light switch at the base of the steering gear, and you should find a retaining clip which prevents the horn rod from being removed. After removing the clip, you can pull the horn rod up, which will enable you to remove the steering wheel nut. You then can remove the steering wheel.

Thanks a million, I knew it had to be something simple...it was...me!

Paul

You need to start at the other end of the steering column. Remove the light switch at the base of the steering gear, and you should find a retaining clip which prevents the horn rod from being removed. After removing the clip, you can pull the horn rod up, which will enable you to remove the steering wheel nut. You then can remove the steering wheel.

• 3 months later...
Guest plymouthgoat

Googled this sight for the same reason, steering wheel removal. I don't have an assembly manual yet as I just got my 29 Tudor. Thanks for the info. First time on the sight but I'll be back alot for tips and pictures.

I would suggest that anyone having troubles simply read Les Andrew's Model A Mechanics Handbook. That clearly shows the two easiest ways to remove the complete steering assembly.