Horn Relay '48 Chrysler Windsor

Guest markrush

Guest markrush

Harnesses Unlimited, which makes wiring harnesses, asks that orders include the location of the horn relay on my C38 1948 Chrysler Widsor Sedan. I can't find a picture in my parts manual. Is it the small box (c. 1"x 2 1/2") on the left fender just behind and below the voltage regulator? There is also a small upright cylindrical fixture behind and at the bottom left of the radiator.

• 2 years later...

Bob, I'm curious....you said that "later cars" had the horn relay near the regulator.  Where in the 1946-1948 time span did they start putting them near the regulator?  I am I wrong if I assume that once they switched to that location they would have kept it there for the rest of the cars they made?  What I'm getting at is if they switched in '47, would all of the '48s have it near the regulator......if they switched in '48, wouldn't all the '46s and '47's have it in front of the radiator?

I'm extra confused about this because I'm taking some parts off of a '46 Windsor right now and the horn relay is by the regulator on a bracket like one of the pictures you posted.  I have a '48 and my horn relay appears to be by the regulator BUT its not on a bracket.  I don't have a bracket, everything in that area is screwed directly into the inner fender.  I replaced that inner fender with a junkyard piece from a different '48 and it is exactly the same as what I had:  no bracket, everything mounted on the inner fender.

Let me know if you need a picture.

Christian

I  spent 30 minutes looking at more than 50 Chrysler Windsor and Royals....1946-48

Generally most all had the  horn relay next to the voltage regulator and on the bracket... both six and eight cars.

Only 1946 cars seemed to have the relay way up front... no horn relay next to the Transmission  relay and VR.

I do not know why or when changes were made. As for some with a  mount bracket and some with out  looks random for all three years!

I've dealt with this issue ordering OE wiring harnesses for restoration jobs. I tell them the locations and they adjust the harness usually accordingly. 1946-48 Chrysler wiring changes were many thru these years and I usually end up modifying the Y&Z and Rhode Island harnesses some what because of all the odd wiring changes on these cars. They do a good job BTW for me.

When the car has a non chopped up original  harness sent out for them to copy .. no issues.

Bob

Edited by c49er (see edit history)