Essex engine four cylinders 1922

Guest ural

Hello my friends, I´m writing from Uruguay, south América, I´m mechanic, and usually work in Ford "A" models or "T".

Recently a client bring me an complete dismount essex engine in MANY boxes to... mount it! :D covered in grease, mud, oil, etc. etc. since the day it see the street for the firts time in 1922, and a really nightmare of nuts, pieces and screws! :mad:

But, since I really don´t know much about this engine, I got some doubts, one specially concerning to one thing I believe is the oil pump, that has a lever and a cam, wich I really don´t know for what is this, I believe is a kind of primer for the oil pump or something.

Later I put some pictures, to see if you can give me a hand to solve this and mount the engine properly!

best regards to all.

Henry

The oil pump mounts under , and off the the side of the distibutor tower and runs off of the timming gear below.

a very simple set up. It only runs at 3or 4lbs. The check ball can stick, and the spring can get weak over time. You can check its opperation

by simply pumping the plunger with your finger in the upright position. Dont look down the top, you will get squirted with oil in the face!!

Any questions you have, and any help you need, just ask, I know these wonderful engines very well.

Lets see some photos!

Dear friends, thanks for all your answers.

As I said before, I´m putting some pictures about the oil pump, just to corroborate that I´m doing things right, and to see if someone can explain me wich is the purpose of the lever that is fitted to the shaft that is coupled tho the drive axe of the oil pump.

Now the pictures to see if you note something wrong!

post-90678-143139339228_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139339234_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139339238_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139339243_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139339246_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139339248_thumb.jpg

Best regards to all.

Henry

http://www.hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1919/1919EssexModelAInstructionBook.pdf

Go to the site above. It will take you directally to a 1919 Essex Instruction book.

The info your after starts on page 15.

You oil line you show in your picture MUST be bent as it shows in the book, or the oil pump will losse its prim.

Let me know if the link above works for you.

Dear PAul,

Thank you very much for your help! I can see what you said clearly!

I like to know if you can send me the PDF to my E-mail!?

And I like to know if you can tell me the purpose of the lever that I mark on the following pictures.

Best regards

post-90678-143139341325_thumb.jpg

Henry

post-90678-143139341316_thumb.jpg

post-90678-14313934132_thumb.jpg

Henry,

that lever is connected to the throttle, vial linkages that have a pivot point attachment on the crankcase same side of motor as the distributor. What it does is, it regulates the stroke of the oil pump piston ( picture two) by moving the position of the cam that is on an eccentric.

so at low speeds you get 1 to 2lbs presure, press the throttle, arm now moves forward , changing the stroke of the oil pump. I recomend that you set the oil pump arm to its maximum setting and leave it there. ( this is done by not connecting the linkage. Why would you want to restrict the flow of oil to the internals of the engine.

As far as the answer two Photo 2, all's that is, is a piston that the cam pushes against, I have not seen one that looks like the one you have in your photo. It should look like a flat tappet( just like the book shows). If you are having douts about this, let me know and I will take one appart and have a look for you.

I will Post a picture of the linkage I was talking about to follow.

PS is your essex Right hand drive of left?

Here is the photo of the linkages. The photo is of a motor under the work bench, the linkage is incomplete from the pivot point on the crank case to the rear.

One arm, the upper, goes to the oil pump cam. The lower is connected to the manual advance on the distributor.

The book I sent you is all I have for now. I will see what I can do about a PDF verson. If I get time I can scan what you need.

If you like Ford 4 bangers, your gonna love this little gem! If EVERYTHING is done right, these little baby's will do 100km all day long, every day!!

post-72691-143139341504_thumb.jpg

Edited by paulrhd29nz (see edit history)

Dear Paul!

Thank you very much for all the attention you are giving me!

I believe that the lever was a kind of regulation for the oil pump, but, talking with my father (he`s 75 years old an LOVE "A" Ford´s) he said that "this has no sense, what for you need disconnect the oil pump!?" (I believe that this connect or disconect the oil pump for some reason!).

Now, the light comes to me at the end of the tunnel!

Unfortunatelly, this gem was laying in a yard, with many derrelicts, so, it has no body, and no chasis, but I got gear box, and transmission parts, probably, we try to make a "race" car! or something like that, the idea is not let die this beauty.

All the info I can obtain, is better to try to do my best, since I really don´t know much about this engines!

I put a picture of my garage, just to know each other better!

post-90678-143139342561_thumb.jpg

As you can see, we use to work with many type of antique cars, most of them Ford´s, but we like all the kind of cars.

post-90678-143139342591_thumb.jpg

And this is my father Ford "A" 1930 six windows!

Hope you can send me the PDF versión of the manual, it it very interesting!

Thanks again for your help

Henry

post-90678-143139342548_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139342554_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139342556_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139342558_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143139342589_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon!

Yes I can print it, but I got some many printed things, that I prefer to save it as PDF, thing that this link don´t let me do!

Even if I save page by page, it saves the same page again and again.

Regards

Henry

Henry, you should be able to make a PDF (if your computer has the ability to do this) by going to the webpage shown above, and then clicking PRINT. Select "Adobe PDF" as your printer, select all the pages of the book (not just the one you can see), and send the PDF to a place in your computer where you can find it.

If you cannot do this, I will print a PDF myself, and e-mail it to you. You may send your e-mail to me in a private message. To do that, click on my name or the photo of my car, and click SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE.

My friend!

That work fantastic! for some reason I never note that optión at the underside of the page!

Thanks!

I could save it all now!

As soon as Imade progress on the engine I put pictures of the process.

Do you know the colors that the factory paint the engines?

regards

Henry

• 3 weeks later...

My dear friends,

The Essex engine starts very well, but as soon as start, broke down the coil of the start engine, so we need to rebuild it, and we do not have it by now, as soon as I can strt the engine again, I put some video.

About the clutch, I beliebe that I missed some piece here between this two parts, a kind of retention ring or something like!

post-90678-143141742916_thumb.jpg

And this is how look the engine by now.

post-90678-143141742921_thumb.jpg

Regards

Henry

Dear Paul,

thanks for you reply, I got a big bearing that I believe goes inside this ring, I´m asking if that ring comes alone or is there any other piece missing?

How do you keep the oil inside the cluch? the oil doesn't leak through around this hole?

Respect to the carb, is an SOLEX nade in Brazil... that was around, the original one is missed long ago.

I must say that the engine start at first try, without any problem, as soon as I could I put the video.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul!

thank you very much for the scan of the clutch, it appears that we have another kind of clutch here, or we lost some part of it!?

As we suppose that it works with oil, we believe that it must have some kind of seal in the part marked with ann arrow.

Can some one identify if we lost a seal?

Best regards, and thanks for your help.

Henrypost-90678-14314179526_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143141795242_thumb.png

post-90678-143141795249_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143141795253_thumb.jpg

post-90678-143141795256_thumb.jpg

Henry, You seem to have everything correct. To answer your question... There is no seal! You will only have a pint of ATF fluid in the housing.

Make sure to wash and clean the old oil from the corks. You may have to change the fluid a few times after operation.

It all looks good.

• 1 year later...
Guest sixball

Henry, Thank you for posting this. It is helping and encouraging me. I recently got one of these motors and hope to make it run. Lucky for me mine is all together and very complete. It was stored inside and turn over. I was told mine is a 1919 or 1920. I has a different carburetor which is brass and missing the top plate. I also need the distributer cap and rotor and the glass tube that goes in the oil level indicator. If anyone knows where I can find these I would appreciate it. Thanks!

post-59706-143142779862_thumb.jpg

post-59706-143142779857_thumb.jpg

Edited by sixball (see edit history)

• 7 years later...