one cylinder engine

West Peterson

excellent steve, that what i was thinking, this is a four stroke engine with cam,pushrods, rocker arms, and valves. terry, why would you think that it's a two stroker ?, two strokers only have a sparkplug in the cylinderhead. sure would like to see more pictures of the valve train, those pushrod tubes are strange looking, being bent in the middle. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I have no idea what this engine is but the protected valve gear suggests it might be aircraft related - but then I could be completely wrong. Have you any idea how big it is? A picture with a ruler beside might help. A measure of the outside of the cylinder will give a guess to the approximate bore size. If it turns, a wire down the plug hole will will give a measure of the stroke. If it is something industrial/agricultural there are two sites which might be of help - Antique Engines Antique Tractors Steam Engines and Old Iron - and - http://www.rucenterprises.com/asecc-main/index.html - although in both cases there were so many different engines it is often impossible to be exactly certain. This engine though, is more distinctive. I presume that is a clutch on the side? A picture taken from the other side might give more clues. What is that thing sticking up from what would be the end of the camshaft? From the style of the crankcases it looks as though it is intended to be mounted in a frame - motorcycle style. Industrial engines usually have a more substantial base.

The ignition is in the flywheel. It is a mag. The rim portion of the pot metal casting is broken or rotted off. It has a WICOish look to it, to me. The fin spacing seems pretty tight for a motorcycle engine, of the era that the construction suggests. It does have an oil pump that probably drew from a remote tank. The lever seems to be a starter that, maybe, engages a ratcheting gear on the crankshaft like the Briggs and Maytag engines had. The missing crankcase bolts suggest that they also served to hold the engine in whatever device it was mounted in. The OHV setup is very odd. It seems to be a hemi head. Pretty fancy for an industrial engine. It does not resemble any bike engine that I've ever seen, though I certainly have not seen them all. Was there ever a one cylinder airplane? Wouldn't a marine engine be more likely to be water cooled? I dunno. It may not be as old as it appears. I had a Powell motor scooter that had a little flathead single in it that could have passed for an engine 30-40 years older than it really was. More pix would be nice

West, There is a local ( Dayton ) Motorcycle guy that might have interest in this if your selling. Send me a PM and I'll get the info to you. He recently acquired a nice original Dayton MC.
As was pointed out, this is, almost certainly, not a M/C engine due to the ports not being fore and aft

Guest art halfnights
Any ideas as to what this is?

This engine has mounting ?? both faces of the block, at bottom. the ign, is in the large round part that is missing some of the casting. The only markings on any part of this engine is there, with eisman printed on the points. The finned head has 2- 3/8? holes for 2 spark plugs. The push rod cover is brass with some knurling. The motor is seize at the moment. The shift lever, just goes forward one place and back. Regards Art.

Guest art halfnights
Any ideas as to what this is?

:confused: I am the owner and aqsked West for info. I will try and get more pictures. Someone asked size. total height, 20in. cyl 10in high about 41/2 in dia. push rod 10in long. flywheel drum 8in in dia. The rocker arm cover is totaly inclosed, top cover held on with screws, and greased from the outside, fittings. Shifter lever just goes forward and back to center. The pictures of the spark plugs are interesting and look very old. there are two holes in the head about 3/8 in fine thread. The engine is seized, and I havent fished around inside the plug holes but note 2 wires coming from flywheel aswell as the two spark plug holes.= two cyl?? regards Art

Having initially called this a 2 stroker, I'll attempt to redeem myself. :) There are two ports in the crankcase and I was originally thinking crankcase mounted carburetor, but that doesn't account for the fact that there are two ports or other obvious differences relevant to a four stroker. What are they for? In the left picture there is what may be a piston type oil pump which is driven off the end of the camshaft. The intake and exhaust ports line up with the crankshaft which eliminate it as a motorcycle engine and might even make it questionable as a marine engine. Having said that, the lever appears to be engaging/disengaging a brake band on a planetary gear set to drive something, but the tapered and keyed shaft on the other side of the engine has to be the end of the crankshaft and would be unaffected by that lever. The two spark plugs may be dual primary and backup ignition for a marine engine for reliability.

Terry

Guest art halfnights
I just saw this on HAMB's Vintage shots from days gone by, posted by swi66 and I thought it looked familiar.

buckingham.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Hope others will try. I will get this motor out soon and take more pictures. Regards Art Halfnights.

Right she is still there. Can we get together when the weather gets better? Art

Small world, isn't it? Sound like a plan to me. One of our Studebaker chapter members lives out your way. He has a 1927 Commander Victoria Coupe. I'm planning to have look at it when the weather is a little less damp. I'll get in touch with you when I have a date in mind.

Terry

The Buckingham engine is similar, but there are some obvious differences. The valve gear is on the other side of the engine in relation to the magneto and is not enclosed. The cylinder head is not hemispherical. The intake and exhaust ports are arranged the same way and with the engine mounted east/west in the frame that makes sense. Maybe it was a cycle car engine.

Terry