Horned Toad '62 Valiant will be following me home

Guest Rob McDonald

Guest Rob McDonald

Who could resist this Kijiji ad?

Free upon removal 1962 Valiant Signet 200 (Two door hardtop) Many good parts, ie radio, wheel disks, new radiator, heater. Many Chrome Parts. Free upon removal of entire car. Also for sale, a rebuilt $535 transmission for $100 OBO.

Phone TOAD-OF-TOAD-HALL

Do not email for info. Phone only

Not me. Will be picking up this engineless, tireless beauty next weekend. Wish me luck - and a warm blanket for the dog house.

What awaits me... what I've told wifey to expect

post-59990-143139336886_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139336887_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

BLEACH, there's no such thing as a free old car.

The front sheet metal, grille, bumper, etc. were removed by the owner but he says it's all there. Well, as much as has hasn't returned to the Earth, that is. Also included are a spare rear end complete with leaf springs. All I need for the ride home is a rocking chair and Granny Clampett.

There are three dead Valiants in the back alleys of my immediate neighbourhood. Crappy little cars are always very popular in Canada; it's our thrrrifty Scots heritage. Evenings this week, I'll be doorknocking, "Pardon me, would you have a set of 13" wheels and tires and maybe a slant six engine that you'd like me to haul away for you?"

Guest Rob McDonald

I was hoping this weekend to go to Regina, Saskatchewan, to get the Valiant ready for hauling home. However, the prairies have fallen into a cold snap - minus 35 wind chills overnight. No point in freezing off my fingers and other body parts, gathering up parts, mounting tires, and securing any flappy bits. May as well wait ten days or so, when it's forecast to get back up closer to the freezing mark.

I've decided to pick up all the loose parts - transmission, trim, fenders - with my station wagon and then send a commercial car hauler to bring the Valiant home. It'll make a fun weekend, especially if it's not brutally cold.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

This weekend is it - I'm going to claim my prize. I've got a semi-lead on a complete 225 engine, not too far from home. Friends have told me about at least half a dozen first-generation Valiants in various old-time wrecking yards in my vicinity. Won't know for sure what I'm going to need until I get to Regina on Saturday. The 5-day weather forecast is not bad, well below freezing but not much chance of snow.

A couple odd things regarding the Canadian-built Valiants -

Alternators were optional in 1960-1962 for all Canadian-built Chryco cars.

Also, Chrysler in the U.S. adopted a reduction gear starter for 1962, with the exception of the Dodge 880 and Chryslers with a manual transmission. In Canada, the reduction gear starter was used only on V8 models, with the 1962-1965 Canadian-built slant six model continuing to use the Prestolite (ex-Autolite) starter. The trouble here is that the ring gears have different tooth counts, and thus you cannot use a Prestolite starter on a ring gear meant for a reduction gear starter, and vice versa. Something to watch out for when mating your transmission to your soon to be acquired slant six.

Also, the Canadian Valiant does not have a "Plymouth" nameplate on the trunklid. Something I see on "restored" Canadian 1962 Valiants and 1966 Barracudas, and a very big no-no.

Bill

Toronto, ON

..There are three dead Valiants in the back alleys of my immediate neighbourhood. Crappy little cars are always very popular in Canada; it's our thrrrifty Scots heritage. Evenings this week, I'll be doorknocking, "Pardon me, would you have a set of 13" wheels and tires and maybe a slant six engine that you'd like me to haul away for you?"
Done this / going to do this ??

In my part of the world Valiant's had 14" wheels.

Guest Rob McDonald
Rob - my father has just sold his 61, 62, and 74 Valiants but still has a pretty good supply of parts. He's in Vancouver BC. Once you get a look at your car, send me an email if you need something.

PETER, when I scope it out this weekend and get an even better look when the car is delivered next week, I will definitely send you a shopping list.

Guest Rob McDonald
A couple odd things regarding the Canadian-built Valiants -

Alternators were optional in 1960-1962 for all Canadian-built Chryco cars.

In Canada, the reduction gear starter was used only on V8 models, with the 1962-1965 Canadian-built slant six model continuing to use the Prestolite (ex-Autolite) starter. The trouble here is that the ring gears have different tooth counts, and thus you cannot use a Prestolite starter on a ring gear meant for a reduction gear starter, and vice versa.

Also, the Canadian Valiant does not have a "Plymouth" nameplate on the trunklid. Something I see on "restored" Canadian 1962 Valiants and 1966 Barracudas, and a very big no-no.

BILL, thanks for that advice on starter compatibility. It's very likely that I'm going to be using an engine from a later car, so this is very good to know. I'm sure there are heaps of surprises like that waiting for me. TRIVIA: pre-1912ish Prest-o-lite starters were an accessory of a car's acetylene lighting system. Somehow, it would draw a charge of gas into a piston cylinder of the engine. When ignited, the explosion gave the engine a good crank.

I vaguely remember that Valiants and Barracudas were stand-alone models in Canada. They weren't folded into the Plymouth camp until 1967, I think. I won't put any Plymouth badges on mine but I might have fun with mounting some Australian script.

Guest Rob McDonald
I think I have a three speed floor shifter from one of those 1960 or '61 Valiants.

Happily, my car comes with a rebuilt Torqueflite. I think pushbuttons are even cooler than a floor shift - it was actually a column shifter in '62 - so I won't be needing your gearbox, thanks.

Guest Rob McDonald
Done this / going to do this ??

In my part of the world Valiant's had 14" wheels.

ALLAN, I've got a couple of leads on 225 engines but I want to be sure how much I need - just a block and head or all the accessories, too. If I need everything, I'll be better off using a complete unit still sitting in a car, rather than an incomplete rebuilt engine. I'd need to tear down someone's "rebuilt", anyway, to check it out before installing it. I am prepared just to do my own internal refreshing of a tired used engine.

I'm pretty sure they all had 13" wheels here, at least until 1963. They have an unusually small diameter 5-bolt wheel lug pattern, which makes it challenging to fit later style wheels.

Will find out lots more tomorrow!

A 318 would also fit very nicely under the hood of a toad. You might even be able to find one for less than what a 225 would cost. It's also only about 50 lbs heavier than the 225 though I used to think the slant six was heavier than the small block V8's.

You could always use 14" wheels as I think they used the same bolt patterns. They look really anemic with 13's anyway.

ALLAN, I've got a couple of leads on 225 engines but I want to be sure how much I need - just a block and head or all the accessories, too. If I need everything, I'll be better off using a complete unit still sitting in a car, rather than an incomplete rebuilt engine. I'd need to tear down someone's "rebuilt", anyway, to check it out before installing it. I am prepared just to do my own internal refreshing of a tired used engine.

I'm pretty sure they all had 13" wheels here, at least until 1963. They have an unusually small diameter 5-bolt wheel lug pattern, which makes it challenging to fit later style wheels.

Will find out lots more tomorrow!

I may have a set of 13" wheels from a 1969 Dodge Dart if you don't need original 1962 items. They should fit. They made some 14" with the small bolt pattern up to 1969 or 1970. Then they went to all 14" having the larger B-body bolt pattern size.

PETER, when I scope it out this weekend and get an even better look when the car is delivered next week, I will definitely send you a shopping list.

OK. He has a couple of slant 6 engines. Probably some 13" wheels, too. Are you involved with the Edmonton Antique Car Club? I have a friend in that group who will be coming out west for our HCCA tour in June, with truck and trailer. We may be able to arrange some transport back to Edmonton.

Guest Rob McDonald

My morning got a slow start yesterday and I haven't quite made it to the car yet. I am about an hour away, although I have to take a detour to get a tire mounted. Should finally lay me eyes on this beauty (?) later this morning.

Thanks for all your replies. When I first started fishing for one of these early Valiants, I thought the entire hobby had forgotten about them. Apparently, there's nothing like a real car in hand - almost - to attract the interest that must be out there.

Guest Rob McDonald

MINE EYES HAVE SEEN THE VALIANT and it is good. It's in way more pieces than I expected but this a worthwhile, semi-solid start to my next project. Rust is not bad and the sheet metal is straight. The original white paint died a long time ago but it's still protecting most of the body. The interior is completely disassembled and stuffed back inside. From what I could see, it'll be usable for a while as-is, once I put it all back in.

The car carrier is on site this morning, working out how to get this little beauty up onto his trailer. Minor hitch - the Valiant's front suspension is in the trunk. The dispatcher neglected to tell that to the driver, who was expecting to pick up a drivable car. But they've found a tow truck locally to help with the job and my car should be home late tonight.

My cell phone died on Sunday, so I didn't get any photos of the car in its long-time resting place. Too bad I didn't get any pix on the drive home, either. My station wagon was loaded to the ceiling with loose parts and the front fenders were strapped to the roof rack.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Pictures, I finally took pictures. Everything is still filthy from many years of storage but it all appears to be there, except an engine. Some assembly required.

post-59990-143141804143_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804146_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804148_thumb.jpg

post-59990-14314180415_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804153_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804156_thumb.jpg

post-59990-14314180416_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804162_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804164_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141804166_thumb.jpg

Rob, You are one Crazy Canuk! I love the Valiant! it looks like a nice project car for you to start when you are done with your Roadie!! The slant six is a tank engine...We had it in our 72 Dodge Dart Swinger, and at 145K miles, it developed a water jacket crack. We used bondo to repair the leak, and it ran for another 75K miles until the body rusted off the wheels.

The car looks like it is in great condition for a starter on the road to restoration. Very cool. You are the man, that is for sure!!

I know where there is a slant six with a three speed stick tranny from a 66 Belvedere II for sale. $200 near Portland Oregon.

I tried to get it started and it almost went. I ran out of time and suggested to the owner that he cut the header pipe as we were getting nut shells and rodent parts shooting out of the exhaust. I surmized (sp) that the exhaust is probably plugged up.

Guest Rob McDonald

JACK EMM, I'm going to be in Portland in a couple of weeks, for the swap meet. However, I hope to find a 225 slant six a lot closer to home - surely the woods are still full of 'em.

That's a fine old Suburban wagon in your avatar. An uncle of mine had one of those new. With eight kids, it was still too small for his family. They went everywhere in two cars.

Guest Rob McDonald

PETER, thanks, I'm keeping your dad's stock pile in mind. There's a good old-fashioned junk yard near here, which has at least three slant six Valiants, probably some "big" Plymouths and Dodges, too. It'll be about six weeks, however, before the snow's gone and the place will be dried up enough to get in there and check them out.

Until then, my task is to catalogue what I've got and determine what's worn out. For the easy stuff, like suspension and steering joints, brake hydraulics (new shoes came with the car), carb kit, and ignition stuff, I'll probably start at a NAPA store.

There don't seem to be any ready-made sheet metal patches available, except floors, so I'll be looking for solid front fenders, rear quarter bottoms, and the lower apron behind the back bumper. Don't know yet about exterior trim, although everything I've unpacked looks pretty good, including front and rear lights. The bumpers are okay for replating. The interior seems complete, even the usually fragile speaker grille. I'll need a carpet set eventually, which is an easy phone order. The headliner is a bit shabby but I can live with it until I completely redo the interior some day.

I'm looking forward to the Portland Swap Meet, which I haven't attended in more than 20 years. I picked the place clean of '57 Buick parts back then, so now it'll be fun to be looking for Valiant bits.

JACK EMM, I'm going to be in Portland in a couple of weeks, for the swap meet. However, I hope to find a 225 slant six a lot closer to home - surely the woods are still full of 'em.

That's a fine old Suburban wagon in your avatar. An uncle of mine had one of those new. With eight kids, it was still too small for his family. They went everywhere in two cars.

You are correct, the Suburban wagon is not very big compared to todays standards. I could probably arrange to get that engine and tranny to the swap meet if you would be wanting it. It would most likely end up over on the race track.

Guest Rob McDonald

JACK, no thanks, I'll be flying in and out of Portland and would have a hard time fitting a slant six into the overhead bin. I'm sure there are other engines available a lot closer to home.

Guest Rob McDonald

YIKES! It's happened before, that a guy from Edmonton bought so much stuff at the Portland meet that he had to forego his return ticket and bought a neat old car to drive home with all his new-found treasures. Honest, it wasn't me!

I remember 30 or 40 years ago when my booth was a sheep stall in the back of the original building. Now its is all but impossible to see all of both meets. The Expo is several huge buildings as well as acres of parking lot. The race track is miles of booths as well as many infield booths. I have pretty much given up shopping there. Not to mention that the freeway is impassable for hours at a time during peak traffic. I do like the camping at the track spaces. If I get in there with my motor home early and stay for a few days it is most enjoyable. Have fun and I hope you all find what you are looking for.

I remember 30 or 40 years ago when my booth was a sheep stall in the back of the original building. Now its is all but impossible to see all of both meets. The Expo is several huge buildings as well as acres of parking lot. The race track is miles of booths as well as many infield booths. I have pretty much given up shopping there. Not to mention that the freeway is impassable for hours at a time during peak traffic. I do like the camping at the track spaces. If I get in there with my motor home early and stay for a few days it is most enjoyable. Have fun and I hope you all find what you are looking for.

The Expo is a nice place now but they rape you bad on parking because they know there's nothing else around.

I actually had a role in getting the two "new" buildings put it about 10 years ago. I still have a set of prints from the construction.

The Expo is a nice place now but they rape you bad on parking because they know there's nothing else around.

I actually had a role in getting the two "new" buildings put it about 10 years ago. I still have a set of prints from the construction.

I agree on the parking. And yes the Expo is nothing like the old place was. One nice thing is the bus system. If you are not in a huge hurry you can get your stuff delivered to the parking lots. I bought a large stash a couple of years ago and they summoned a bus with a wheel chair lift so that I could roll my score right onto the lift, up into the bus and get it dropped off near my pick up. The two meets are less than a mile apart but the shuttles are running constantly between the two as well as the parking areas and are free, so at least you don't use up your feet between meets. My feet wont let me walk even one full meet in a day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Although I didn't find anything for my Valiant - except a Canadian sales brochure - I had a good time at the Portland Swap Meet. The race track portion, starting a day early on Thursday, was pretty disappointing. Very little of value to anyone but, as a car nut, you never know where that special treasure will pop up. The main meet in the EXPO buildings and surrounding parking lot was as good as ever, despite my own bad luck. If I was building a Ford, a Chev, or a hot rod, I'd have been in heaven. Those of us with uncommon tastes (not to say weird), we're used to being shut out at these things. How anyone restored an "off" make car before the internet existed is a mystery to me.

Downtown Portland just gets better and better. I'm seriously planning on living there part-time, someday.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob McDonald

Surprise, surprise! A 225 slant six dropped into my lap this week. It's a stationary industrial engine that was hitched to a fire pump for about 30 years. It was run at least once per year, in accordance with the fire code, but probably has less than 50 hours on it. There's lots different on the outside but the basics are the same as you'd find in you great-aunt's Valiant. The prospects for my actually building this car have now been ratcheted up several notches.

Would the cam be as a car ? If I recall here in Australia 225's in light trucks-pick ups were a little different. Have also seen 225's on header harvesters here.

Guest Rob McDonald

ALLAN, that's a chance that I just had to take, taking advantage of the incredible convenience of this find. Maybe this will prove to be a torquey brute, which runs out of breath at highway speed. No way of knowing before I get it running and, heck, I might find I like those characteristics.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob McDonald

I'm headed to Seattle on Friday, to pick up my next Daily Driver. In Blood Clot Red, this is the bottom-of-the-line Chrysler product for the year, although it does have a radio and full wheel covers - woohoo. Slant six (225 I think, although I guess it could be a 170), backed up be a 3-speed manual transmission with column shifter. Come to think of it, I've never before owned a 3-on-the-tree. Needs a few hours' tinkering before I hit the highway; hope to have it home by Sunday night. Will send scenic mountain pictures from along the way.

These cell phone shots from the seller will have to do for now. Sorry for having to turn your head to look at them.

post-59990-143141980601_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141980603_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141980871_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143141980882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
reload photos (see edit history)

Looks like a '67. These make some really great DD's. If it has a 170, it's still no slouch. The '67 170 should have the better cam and carb from the 225, but the 225 would still be better. A three on the tree can be fun and the slant six is a great combination.

Check the VIN. A is for 170 and B is 225.