Woody Tailgate identification

Guest Howard49

Guest Howard49

I have an old woody top half of a hinged tailgate. I am trying to identify the car this probably went on. It is a single pane of glass and is made of heavy grained wood, (Oak ?), has a mixture of straight screws and phillips head screws. I read that Phillips head screws have been used since the 1930's. Included in the photo collage are the handle and the side lock mechanisms. The top frame is thicker in the middle than on the ends. Measures about 58 1/4" long by 17 1/4" high. Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking of making it into a wall display unit, but if its rare or valuable I dont want to ruin it. Thanks in advance. post-90590-143139331715_thumb.jpg

Guest Howard49
Looks very similar to my 48 olds .. most likely its general motors... hinge reliefs are tge giveaway...

Thanx, I will start looking for photos.

Guest 52Roadsmasher

The hardware that is screwed to the back of this upper gate that the locking rods slide through are identical to those on my 52 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon but the frame itself is somewhat different. I agree with the response that it's likely postware GM. Good luck.

Guest Howard49
The hardware that is screwed to the back of this upper gate that the locking rods slide through are identical to those on my 52 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon but the frame itself is somewhat different. I agree with the response that it's likely postware GM. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. This helps narrow the search. The only trouble I'm having is that all the photos I have found show a plain T handle, not a curved one. Maybe an upgrade package?

Guest 52Roadsmasher

Yes, My wagon would have had a T-handle (actually it's the only part that I'm still searching for after 12 years) so the curved handle did catch my attention as being different. What are your plans for this upper gate? Just curious.

Guest Howard49
Yes, My wagon would have had a T-handle (actually it's the only part that I'm still searching for after 12 years) so the curved handle did catch my attention as being different. What are your plans for this upper gate? Just curious.
I was thinking about a shadowbox for a wall display of photos, my friend wants it to make a shadow box table for his auto memorabilia. I don't want to alter it if it's rare or valuable as it is.

Guest Rob McDonald

HEY, MIKESWOODIEWORLD, wake up! Tell Howard what he's got and then tell him where he can buy the appropriate station wagon to complete it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for waking me up, Rob!!

My 1942 Olds has a center vertical strip, two panes of glass. I believe the same wood was used until 1947, then Fisher Body built the Woodies for the 1948 Olds & 1946-8 Chevy. It may be off of one of those.

I checked my 1948 Pontiac, and it looks similar, with a single pane of glass, but it is around 54-55" wide at the bottom, and 17" tall. I added some pictures of it, not very good ones!!

They all use that same hardware for latching, as do the 1946-48 & 1950-53 Buicks. The 47 Buick has two panes of glass, and the 50-53 use a single curved glass.

post-79354-143141737308_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143141737315_thumb.jpg

post-79354-143141737321_thumb.jpg