Chris Lutz - 1952 Buick Special 41D

52_Special

Hello All,

I don't post very often but I did want to introduce myself. My wife and I had been talking about wanting a classic car. When we described it to each other we both agreed that the 50’s style was our favorite, but not the ‘55-57 Chevy (it seems like everyone has one).

</SPAN>

My wife ran across this car and we both knew it was the one. The further away you are, the better it looks but we decided to take the plunge anyway. I can’t say I don’t have reservations on whether I can get her back on the road, but I am having a lot of fun trying. The previous owner did a backyard paint job and is peeling in places. The interior is rough and will need a complete redo. Engine runs and it was driven to its current spot. </SPAN>

I do have a deadline to meet; I told my wife that we will be driving a fully restored ’52 for my daughter’s graduation. (She is almost 3)</SPAN>

I joined the BCA and the Carolina Chapter and hope to get involved very soon. </SPAN>

Any comments are appreciated, even if it is… “Your nuts”. </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

post-88608-143139331628_thumb.jpg

post-88608-143139331644_thumb.jpg

Welcome to you and your wife. You both chose a very nice car. While from the pictures it looks road-able, what is stopping you from driving it right now?

I also must ask; is someone reproducing 52 Buick Specials in the South? Where are all these early 50's cars coming from down there. You are all lucky guys to be around so many great Buick vehicles.

Guest shadetree77
.....but not the ‘55-57 Chevy (it seems like everyone has one).

Hi Chris, glad to see you decided to post here. Amen to that brother! That's always my number one answer when people ask me, "Why a Buick?". I wanted something as beautiful as a "55-'57 Chevy but different than what everyone else has. Anyway, always good to see a fellow '52 owner on here. You have a very nice car there. Great start for a project. Way cleaner than mine when I started! That chrome looks like it is in very good shape. You are lucky to have a mustache bar that appears to be completely intact. Those are the most expensive and hardest to find pieces on the entire car. I love those colors too. I've always been a fan of the minty greenish bluish 50's colors. Just out of curiosity, do you have the chrome pieces that are missing? I check EBAY every night for parts and I can let you know if I see anything you might need. Just let me know. Is yours a Model 41 or a Model 41D? Any major issues that would keep you from driving her? Keep us updated on your progress and let me know if you ever need anything. I'll try to help any way I can.

John, don't tell anyone but we've got a Buick breeding farm down here. Business is good but mum's the word. Don't want to get sued by GM! It's headquartered in a large barn situated in a certain Buick Garden. The ringleader is a mustachioed gent that goes by the alias "Mr. Earl". I just work here! :P

Very nice Buick. I bought mine for the same reasons... Wanted something different and boy did I get it. Mine tho is a 1952 Series 72 (I think) Roadmaster sedan That I am also trying to get back on the road. Hopefully it should be ready for this summer. Around here, most of the buicks I come across have been Specials or Supers. Rarely see Roadmasters.

Hey Guys, thanks for comments. To answer your question John, the wiring is in rough shape, there is alot of exposed wires, that made me nervous, then a few weeks after I bought the car, 2 of the 4 tires went flat. If that wasn't enough, I had tried to start it at least once a month, the last time I tried it wouldn't turn over, I think it is old gas. I just haven't had the funds to put into it to get it roadworthy again.

About the Buick Specials down here, I do know that this one was built in Atlanta. They must have had some good salesmen down here in the south.

Al: Unfortunately the rear fins and hood ornament were all missing when I bought it. The previous owner said that they we so pitted that were not reusable.

Robert: I hope the mustache bar is in good shape, the previous owner painted it the same color as the car, not sure what a pain it will be to remove the paint or why he tried to cover it up. It is a 41D, interestingly enough, does anyone know, I have what appears to be backup lights near the brake lights, but looking at Roberts '52 I do not see them.

Thoughts? post-88608-143139332243_thumb.jpg

. . . . . It is a 41D, interestingly enough, does anyone know, I have what appears to be backup lights near the brake lights, but looking at Roberts '52 I do not see them. . . . .

Thoughts? [ATTACH=CONFIG]172204[/ATTACH]

Have you ever heard of the term stripped-down model? Buick had another name for that: the SPECIAL SERIES 40 line. When you purchased the basic bottom-line Buick in those days, you basically got headlights, tail/stop lights, a steering wheel, four blackwall tires, dog-dish hub caps (NOT full wheel covers), and an engine with a manual transmission. EVERYTHING else, and I really mean everything, was an extra charge or was not available on a SPECIAL Series 40. Take a look at my Pic #1 below.

The separate housing back-up lights were available only on the SPECIAL Series 40 for 1952 and they were part of the 'Safety Group' accessory package, available as, you guessed it, an extra charge.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

post-41556-143139333361_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143139333339_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack
added second pic (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Chris, mine came from the Atlanta plant too. It was sold in Chattanooga, Tn. On that exposed wiring, get yourself some quality electrical tape, put your legs over the top of the seat, cram yourself under the dash, and go to work on it! That's what I did. You can use liquid electrical tape for the tough spots that you can't get to. I HIGHLY recommend a fire extinguisher too. You can get one for around $15-$20 at wal-mart or home depot. Never let anyone tell you that you can't enjoy the old car hobby on a budget. I'm living proof that you can! You'd be surprised what you can get done with $15-$20 here and there and a little "innovation". :)

I'll keep an eye out for fins and hood ornaments. They pop up on EBAY quite frequently. I have some spares but they are my originals that I replaced and they are in ROUGH shape. On the mustache bar, I think you would be fine using a small amount of regular paint thinner on a soft rag to remove the paint. After doing that make sure you wash it good with soap and water. If it's shiny under there you would need to put a couple coats of wax on it because the paint thinner is going to strip off everything that's on the surface. Those things pit fast in the weather so they need protection. Al is right about the back-up lights. They were an option which my car did not come with. Matter of fact, I believe mine is the least optioned "Special Deluxe" I've ever seen! By the way Al, thanks for posting that page. I'm saving that for future reference.

P.S. You may already have one, but if not, I recommend an original 1952 Service Manual as well. One can be downloaded for ABSOLUTELY FREE at the link below. Right click on each of the numbered sections on the right side of the index and click "Save Link As".

1952 Buick Manual, All Series

Chris,

I wanted to jump in and say a quick "hello neighbor!" I'm just down the road in Charlotte and a fellow member of the Carolina Chapter. I have a forum thread under Me and My Buick on the restoration of my '41-76C, check it out when you can. I can't wait to see progress on your beast (man that car looks HUGE!) I look forward to seeing you in person at one of our meetings. WELCOME!

Hello, I have a SPECIAL place in my heart for 52's. In 1951 we moved into a new home I helped my father build. He was general manager for a Buick dealership, and we took delivery of a new SUPER 52 4-door that year toooooooo. It was CORNET COPPER, with BEACH WHITE top. Lots, and lots of folks would stop to say how they loved the look.

Just have fun, FUN IS GOOD!

I wish you well, ONE STEP AT A TIME IS BEST. Don't make a basket case out of it, IMO.

Dale in Indy

Thanks Al And Robert, that helps, there is alot to learn.

Hello Anderson, I will check out your progress. Haha, We were batting around names for the Buick. The first name we came up with was "The Green Beast". hopefully we can meet in person at the next carolina event.

Dale, the '52 is my favorite year as well. I think the grill, mustache bar, and other unique features, with the two-tone just sets it off.