How many 1930 Packard Model 745 roadsters were produced?

Guest Water Jacket

Guest Water Jacket

An old friend has an opportunity to buy back the 1930 Packard Model 745 roadster he owned long ago. We know total Model 745 production was 1,789. But, does anyone know how many 745 roadsters Packard built?

Many thanks.

Guest Water Jacket

Good point, Cardinal Mitchell. As my auld friend well knows the provenance, having decades ago owned this very example, unmolested since leaving East Grand Avenue, the above's of no concern in this case. But thanks, and let your word of caution forearm others on the brink of impulse purchase.

Whatever became of your nice '47 Custom Clipper club sedan? Per your and others' suggestion some years ago, i'm running 7.00 x 15 correct bias sized blackwalled radials on my '47 Super. Best thing for any old car since overdrive and a pre-oiler for full oil pressure before starting. In fact, it's pictured so shod on the adjacent discussion of the various speed saloons. Happy New Year!

Edited by Water Jacket (see edit history)

Not sure anyone could answer this with complete certainty. One thing that we can be sure of is that there are a lot more of them now than were produced originally.

Certainly that's tongue in cheek, as there were probably around 150 built originally, based on the number of 840 roadsters built in 1931.

Edit: I'm rethinking that number, since Packard offered two different Deluxe Eight roadsters in 1930, and only one in 1931. So, the total number of 740 AND 745 roadsters may have been around 150. It's anyone's guess as to how many of each were built. I still doubt that there are more today than the number built originally. I count fewer than a dozen in the CCCA directory, how many more than that currently exist I couldn't tell you. Certainly not more than a few.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest Water Jacket

Sad. No sooner do i take some time trying to address Dave's thoughtful question, as to what we can do to entice more Classic owners into the fold, than some busybody deletes my post. You might add that to the reasons outsiders increasingly see the CCCA as a childish cabal of hidebound clubbies more than the easy-going camaraderie of adults it once was.

Shame on whoever deleted my post. Spineless, pathetic.

Update: Just noticed a private message from an "R. W. Burgess" that He, in his e-omnipotence, apparently seeing a threat to his online fiefdom, deleted my post as it "....belittled the CCCA."

There you have it. I try to answer Dave's excellent question, as to what might be done to lure fresh blood to the CCCA, sharing the objections i've heard time and again over the past 39 years dabbling in these cars, and a hidebound clubbie quickly deletes my comments-------ANONOMOUSLY.

I invite Mr. Burgess to repost my comments and let fellow CCCAers decide, think for themselves, perhaps tender their own answers to Dave's above question. Meanwhile, have you noticed it's always, always, the same names haunting this forum?

Shame on whoever deleted my post. Spineless, pathetic.

Update: Just noticed a private message from an "R. W. Burgess" that He, in his e-omnipotence, apparently seeing a threat to his online fiefdom, deleted my post as it "....belittled the CCCA."

There you have it. I try to answer Dave's excellent question, as to what might be done to lure fresh blood to the CCCA, sharing the objections i've heard time and again over the past 39 years dabbling in these cars, and a hidebound clubbie quickly deletes my comments]-------ANONOMOUSLY.

I invite Mr. Burgess to repost my comments and let fellow CCCAers decide, think for themselves, perhaps tender their own answers to Dave's above question. Meanwhile, have you noticed it's always, always, the same names haunting this forum?

Waterjacket? Anonymous? Who's anonymous now? Actually, I did not delete the post in question. I sent that pm over a month ago, and you just now noticed it. Back to the subject at hand. I'm pretty sure that most of the members on this forum do not need any education in their area of the hobby. Having read the post you thought I deleted, I can see how it could be considered offensive.

Yes, I would have deleted it too.

R.W.

Edited by R W Burgess
edited, it was actually on January 14th. (see edit history)

Guest Water Jacket

Your PM arrived only this afternoon, or at least i only noticed same this afternoon, some of us having lives outside the garage and computer.

Meanwhile, i invite whoever deleted my post to man up, repost it and let others decide for themselves.

I haven't had time to look at this thread, but my point is that a real, documented 745 roadster is a rare bird and always was. Surely fewer 745 roadsters were built than 740 roadsters, but any number on my part would be a guess. I just know that I have only seen a very precious few that when push came to shove the owner could say had always been 745s, I have seen a lot more that used to be 733s or 740s. Personally I would rather have one that has a documented history.

My old 1946 Clipper club sedan was in Gene Perkin's collection the last that I knew, but he didn't like the blackwalls, so it got wide whites before it went there as well as skirts. I liked it better with blackwalls and no skirts, but that is just me. Those 700 - 15 Michelins were magic on that car - it was the easiest driving vintage car I have ever been in. It was fast and with those tires it was rock solid and responsive, as well as good in the rain or on grooved or rutted pavement.

I spent 9 years on the CCCA national board and was for a couple years membership chair. I never thought that raising the dues was a good way to increase membership, especially when a lot of members are mailbox members. I have noticed the addition of more ads to the magazine, and thought perhaps that was an attempt to not raise dues, but I guess not. It seems a shame to add more color to the magazine and use it for ads. I remember how happy Bev Kimes was when we added more color and how unhappy she was when it was taken away because the board had squandered money on things that didn't really help the general membership. There are things that the CCCA could do to attract members, but they seem to concentrate on other things... This is not to belittle the club at all, I have spent a lot of time working to help the club, but I feel they need to think about what people want and how to give it to them in a warm and friendly way.

Good point, Cardinal Mitchell. As my auld friend well knows the provenance, having decades ago owned this very example, unmolested since leaving East Grand Avenue, the above's of no concern in this case. But thanks, and let your word of caution forearm others on the brink of impulse purchase.

Whatever became of your nice '47 Custom Clipper club sedan? Per your and others' suggestion some years ago, i'm running 7.00 x 15 correct bias sized blackwalled radials on my '47 Super. Best thing for any old car since overdrive and a pre-oiler for full oil pressure before starting. In fact, it's pictured so shod on the adjacent discussion of the various speed saloons. Happy New Year!

Guest Water Jacket

Thank you, Monsignor Fields. Yeah, i doubt my auld friend'll ever wind up parked alongside another 745 roadster. Gene's a bigtime Packard man, so your '46 club sedan's in good hands. One of the first things i noticed on installing the bias-sized 7.00 x 15 radials on my '47 Super was how much faster it stopped, something i wasn't expecting.

Regarding the previous poster's comments about my post which he deleted: He alone is NOT the CCCA. He has a right to his opines the same but no more than the rest of us. He is NOT the final arbiter.

This is a forum to freely discuss various subjects relating to CCCA Classics and the club itself. Like you, i was hoping to shed some light on what the club can do to get out of the present rut by sharing recurring comments i've heard over the past nearly four decades from myriad Classic-owning non-members.

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...