THE WOODIE THAT WASN'T - 1953 BUICK SUPER

Guest Rob McDonald

Guest Rob McDonald

Several months ago, a thread appeared in the AACA forum, "Buick - Buy/Sell". It linked to a Facebook page, where a '53 Super Estate Wagon was offered for sale in Oregon. No pictures, not much information at all, just an email address. I was planning to be Portland in October anyway, so I emailed the seller, asking for some photos. What I received (attached) got me very excited.

I also stumbled across another post in Lincoln - Buy/Sell, linking to a note from the same guy in Oregon. Turns out, his elderly neighbour was disposing of a bunch of old cars, including a 1940 Lincoln-Zephyr Coupe and this Buick woodie.

Well, I must have emailed and phoned this guy a dozen times before and after arriving in Portland, where I stayed for about a week. He picked up the phone just once, the day before I was leaving Oregon. He promised to check if his neighbour was home and would get back to me right away. Nothing.

At various points in this chase, I thought something didn't feel right about these "barn finds". Maybe the photos were just plucked from the internet and some scammer was fishing for cash deposits. I guess I'll never know but it makes for a good one-that-got-away tale.

post-59990-143139319623_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139319624_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139319626_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139319627_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143139319628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
libel review (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

That car looks way too dry and dusty to be anything from the Portland area. If it was it would green and black from moss and mold from all the rain we get here. Wrong kind of plants growing around it too. It would probably have blackberry vines growing all over it as well.

Guest Rob McDonald

MIKE, thanks for the temptation but my car buying urges are in check right now. Life did one of its periodic rollovers for me and I'm not even driving a car these days.

BLEACH, I had the same discomfort about these pictures and the "seller's" spotty responses. Mind you, the car's supposed to be in Corvallis, so I thought it might be drier up there. When I was back in Portland earlier this month, I didn't bother to try to track him down again. Had I known you're from the area, I would have looked you up. I do like your Ford. And I really, really like Portland.

Guest Rob McDonald

I'm planning my next visit to Portland to be the Buick Club of America National Meet in 2014. If what passes for my life stabilizes, I'll be driving my Roadmaster there. Sort of a shake-down cruise, after a multi-decade restoration.