Model 72 questions

Guest art s

We have 2 model 72 cars. One is a refreshed rumble seat coupe and the other (parts car) is a town sedan with factory side mounts, factory luggage rack, and cowl lamps. I intend to put the side mounts, and all nickle plated lamps on the coupe. The coupe has the cowl tag from Fisher Body Corp (Job #7880) and another one from Chrysler. The town sedan although it has the same construction does not have the Fisher tag. Does anyone else have both of these ID tags on their car? It also has the body by Fisher tag just in front of the passenger door like my 29 Chev. Fisher was totally owned by GM in 28 so its history really puzzles me. Interestingly enough my 29 Chev is Job #8880.

post-90410-143139319424_thumb.jpg

post-90410-143139319455_thumb.jpg

post-90410-143139319481_thumb.jpg

That looks like the right one. I have one but it has been knocked around and has some rather deep scratches in it. How much would you like for that one? Know anyone down that way that would have a "pumpkin" out of a roadster or phaeton? We have visited another old car enthusiast in your area Skip Gear, do you know him?

art s, nice series "72". Chrysler refered to that body style as the "Two Passengert Coupe". Yes, it was built by the Fisher Body Company; as were most of the body styles mounted on the series "72" chassis. You are right, Fisher was at this time 100% owned by GM. The painted headlamp shells indicate to me a very early production car. What is the Fedco number on your dash? Your car seems to be missing the cowl mounted Fisher tag; even though the two mounting holes are there. Another interesting point is your car has hydraulic knee action shocks; where as, the standard shock on the series "72" was a Hassler snubber. Can you post some pictures of the town sedan; and what is it's Fedco number. It might be a rare car.

That looks like the right one. I have one but it has been knocked around and has some rather deep scratches in it. How much would you like for that one? Know anyone down that way that would have a "pumpkin" out of a roadster or phaeton? We have visited another old car enthusiast in your area Skip Gear, do you know him?

Yes, I do know of Skip. I have met him a few times. Don't know of too many Chrysler folks around here, so I have no idea where you might find a pumpkin for the car. I will dig out the bumper clamp and get with you on the price. John

Got another one by chance?

I will dig around, but I believe that this one is the only one I have at this time. I sent "art s" a personal message and if he does not want it, you're next.

GM acquired total control of Fisher Body in 1926. Up to then Fisher Body built bodies for many auto manufacturers, but GM announced that 1927 was the last year they would be building bodies for non-GM products. Thus the 72 was the last Chrysler model to have bodies by Fisher.

In Canada, Chrysler purchased the Fisher Body plant at Edna and St. Luke in 1927 in Walkerville (now Windsor) and used the plant to build car bodies until the new plant was completed on Drouillard Road (now Chrysler Centre) and Tecumseh.

Bill

Toronto, ON

• 2 weeks later...

The Fedco # for the Town Sedan is CP616H That is from the Nevada title. I have not confirmed that number from the dash. The car is about 4 miles away at a friends house. I have an original sales brochure. It shows images of all the model 72s for 1928 The town sedan was the only closed model listed with standard sidemounts and sidelamps. It was also the only closed model with nickle plated headlamps as standard. Yes it probably was a gorgeous car, but the production numbers I have found were not that much different from those of the coupe at around 6500 each. It is in bad enough shape that I do not believe it is worth saving. The fellow we got it from drove it, bought it with the idea of restoration, took it home and parked it outside in NV for 20 years. We will save what parts we can. The rear tub is slated for a 28 Chevrolet depression era roadster pick-up project I am working on. The front fenders will go on the coupe. BTW the production date for the coupe is March 1928 so almost to the end of model 72s in July 1928

Edited by art s
Spelling mistake (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
Guest steve shulman

DO YOU HAVE ANY TOOLS OR JACK THAT YOU WANT TO SELL THAT WOULD HAVE COME WITH THE CAR FROM THE FACTORY