3/4 Cross Country Cruise

rockitdoc

Hi,

My Dad restored a 1941 Continental over the past 20 years and now it's time to pass the beauty to me. So, rather than doing the 'sensible' thing by putting the regal machine on a trailer and towing it from NC to CO, I intend to drive her. Understand, this is not a pristine example, but a decent driver, albeit, some of what was done to make her roadworthy is unknown. So, it's going to be a calculated cross country adventure this spring and summer. Probably going to to cover no more than 300 miles per day. See the sights. Stop and talk to folks. Few, if any interstates.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/rockitdoc/Lincoln/P1000741.jpg

If you are within 50 miles of any of the cities-towns on the list below, let me know and we'll try to stop by to chat. I don't have dates figured out, yet, as I still have to go through the car and R&R all the fluids, do safety checks, acquire some spares we may need, etc. But, it will be after school is out at the end of May. My kids are 8 and 10 and will coming along for at least part of the trip. I may need helpers for pushing and handing me wrenches.

1. Aberdeen, NC

2. Asheboro, NC

3. Lexington, NC

4. Boone, NC

5. Johnson City, TN

6. Kingsport, TN

7. Corbin, KY

8. Danville, KY

9. Bardstown, KY

10. Elizabethtown, KY

11. Tell City, IN

12. Evansville, IN

13. Mt. Vernon, IL

14. St. Louis, MO

15. Hannibal, MO

16. Macon, MO

17. St. joseph, MO

18. Phillipsburg, KS

19. Oberlin, KS

20. McCook, NE

21. Imperial, NE

22. Holyoke, CO

23. Sterling, CO

24. Briggsdale, CO

25. Ft. Collins, CO

Send me an email: scott.shuler@colostate.edu or call me, 720-289-2153 and let me know if we can come by to visit and show you our Connie.

Cheers,

Scott

Edited by rockitdoc
Add Photo (see edit history)

Wish I was along the route, would love to come out and cruise part of the way with you in my 48. But being in Calif I am a little to far. Keep us posted on your progress. I take mine on 200 mile trips a few times a year and have had no problems. I do like to use my electric pump with a holley regulator and bypass the original pump when its hot, due to the location of the pump it seems to vapor lock easy when its hot in stop and go traffic.

Jack

Wish I was along the route, would love to come out and cruise part of the way with you in my 48. But being in Calif I am a little to far. Keep us posted on your progress. I take mine on 200 mile trips a few times a year and have had no problems. I do like to use my electric pump with a holley regulator and bypass the original pump when its hot, due to the location of the pump it seems to vapor lock easy when its hot in stop and go traffic.

Jack

Sounds like a reasonable mod. I should probably rig the '41 the same way. Would you mind sending some photos of your setup with the parts you used?

when i was a lot younger,i moved a girl and her kid from Virginia to Arizona. I stayed there to go to A.S.U for a semester then took two months wondering around on my way to Michigan.I haven't been able to travel like that ever since.

I sort of have summers off. One advantage of being in the education business.