1982 Pierce Arrow questions

Guest uogecko

Guest uogecko

Hi everyone - I just fulfilled my childhood dream and purchased a 1982 Pierce Arrow. I'm slowly learning about the engine and have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone will know the answer to.

I believe this truck has 2 batteries. The fire department I purchased it from kept it plugged in with what appeared to be a 220 volt electrical cable that connects directly to the side of the truck.

What is that for? At first I thought it was trickle-charging the batteries, but now I think it must be for something much more substantial.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

May also be to keep the fluids warm/hot. Best to look for an instruction book - operating manual

Is it like this ?1982 Pierce Arrow 100' LTI ladder tower 2000 (Q0693). An interesting toy

This sub-forum is more for Pierce Arrow cars

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest uogecko

Thanks for the reply and sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I see now that a Pierce Arrow is not necessarily a fire truck! Mine is similar to the picture you found though not quite as long.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Phil Cordery

The item is quite common here in the UK, Its an Immersion element made by the BRAY company & fits inside the bottom hose, its especially used in Fire appliances, where instant performance is required from start up. keeps the water at a pre set temp, the plug is designed to fall away when the truck moves off, if someone forgets to unplug. Phil