FOR SALE: 1934 Chrysler Airflow CU Town Sedan

OK, Chrysler guys, why have you been holding out on me and not telling me how AWESOME the Airflow is? I've always admired the design, but today I had the opportunity to drive this freshly restored 1934 Town Sedan, and I'm flat-out amazed by how modern it feels and how entertaining it is to drive. I think I put about 15 of the 69 miles it's had since the full professional frame-off restoration was completed, and I am thoroughly impressed.

Yes, I used the term frame-off, because while the Airflow is rumored to be a unit-body car, it's not. That rumor comes from the fact that the body is made from a steel cage with the body panels welded to it, however the floorboards are wood and it's still sitting on a conventional Chrysler frame. But that safety cage construction pays big dividends on the road, because there's not a squeak or rattle anywhere in the car and it just whispers down the road. And as you'd expect, there's not much wind noise thanks to the shape. The color is called either Moonglo or Sultana Sand depending on whose color chart you're using, and the light cream looks wonderful on the Airflow shape, giving it a light-hearted feel rather than the formal seriousness usually associated with them. The Town Sedan style is relatively rare in the world of Airflows, and indicates the blanked-out rear quarter windows, and I really like the look a great deal. It seems to enhance the swoopy design, especially with the rear-mounted spare. All the chrome is fresh, the paint and bodywork were professionally restored to a very high standard, and even the grille and hood ornament show exquisite detail.

As stunning as the bodywork is, the interior is equally amazing. Trimmed in brown broadcloth, it clearly draws inspiration from aircraft design, particularly with the exposed tube frames for the front seat. Everything inside is new and everything works, including the massive speedometer and all the auxiliary gauges. The only thing not functioning is the manual switch for the pretty Art-Deco dome light, and that's only because the striker button on one of the doors was defective and they're waiting for a replacement. There's one especially neat feature on the front windows, too: the vent windows open traditionally with a crank, and the main window goes up and down in the usual fashion too. But flip the handle near the divider and the two become one, dropping down into the door to leave a frameless and vent-window-less opening. Too cool!

The Chrysler Airflows received various versions of the corporate straight-8, with this one displacing 299 cubic inches and making 119 horsepower. In truth, it feels like more because of the torque, and having driven this one personally, I will attest that performance is more than adequate and handling is quite lively on the road. Chryslers have always used hydraulic brakes, and the Bendix binders on this one are remarkably powerful thanks to a vacuum assist. The engine bay is highly detailed for show with all the correct bits and pieces. It starts quickly and idles smoothly, and while our test drive in 40 degree weather didn't tax the cooling system, it stayed well on the low side thanks to a massive radiator. This is a California car originally, so there is no heater, but that also means the chassis and underbody are spotless.

The restoration cost in excess of $120,000 and it shows in every way, and unlike most show cars, it has been mechanically sorted so everything works and it drives right. The car has not been publicly shown yet, so it is poised to start collecting the big trophies at all the major events.

Quite possibly the finest CU Town Sedan in existence, it's a fantastic car that will definitely make a stir everywhere it goes. Beautiful to look at and just as beautiful to drive, I can't say enough wonderful things about this car. You can count me as an Airflow fan. Available for $69,900, which is about half the cost of restoration, and worth every penny. Thanks for reading!

post-31138-143139300945_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300948_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300951_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300953_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300955_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300958_thumb.jpg

post-31138-14313930096_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300962_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300965_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139300968_thumb.jpg