Pull Down Pins not being pulled down

Guest Manx Woman

Guest Manx Woman

This new to us 1991 sat for a few years with a dead battery. We have been all through it, might need to replace the brake pads which we have found parts for, but can't seem to solve the problem of the pull down pins being pulled down. Switch gets power, we have removed the mechanical "backed arms" which we can operate mechanically with a wrench, but can't seem to find the problem between the very corroded relays and/or the motor. Have scrubbed up the relays and would love to replace them, however can't find parts number 4221653 or 5353193.

Hate to drive around the hard top attached only at the front -- yikes!

I'm not sure what wrench you are using but the tire iron for the car can be used through a hole in the trunk to release or lock down the top by either turning clockwise or counter-clockwise, I forget which way is which.

I would check the switch to see if it is sending a signal forward to the motors to lock or unlock. You can hear them click when it is successful. If the switch is bad you may be able to replace it with a new Dorman Switch 901-401 on eBay. If it is not the switch the items below are for sale on eBay that you might want to look into for the fix.

item number: 320840561423 - convertible top switch tonneau & top camel

item number: 320844905167 - passenger side hard top lock electric

item number: 220949831760 - driver side hard top lock electric

Hope this helps. Bob

Guest Manx Woman

Thank you Bob. I looked at these parts but don't really understand where they go in our 1991.

Our 1991 has switches only behind the driver. When we push the "top" switch nothing happens, however there is power at the switch. Originally when we removed the hard top the pull down pins let go of the pin, but then clicked back. When we put the hard top back on the pins sat up on the pull down, which was supposed to latch and pull down in the indent part of the pins.

We never found the hole in the trunk to use the tire iron, but did locate the mechanism in the center of the boot storage area for the soft top. We removed the mechanical unit to check the wiring. The relays look burnt, we are now trying to locate those (4221653, 5353193). We can manually turn the bolt to release/catch the pins. This must be what should happen when the switch is pushed.

I think what we need are the relays (which local Chrysler dealer cannot locate) or some way to work around the relays (replace the whole relay/motor set up) that moves the gears to create the lock pull down.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Those switches for top and tonneau are the same switches as were used for the power locks. The latches for the sides of the tonneau cover are the same as used by many Chrysler cars for the electric trunk release--TC trunk release is different for some unknown reason. Can't help you with the relays. There is a procedure to reset the pin lock mechanism in the owner's manual (which I don't have anymore).

• 4 months later...

I too am having the same problem. Relay 4221653 is corroded, and I am unable to locate. The other relay is available through Standard products under part# RY27.

If you find a source for the other relay, please let me know. Thanks and good luck!

Crissman Crombie

1991 TC

Artic White

Ginger Interior

50K original miles

• 8 months later...