Need Help in Gettin Me a Buick

Earl B.

I need some help in getting 'My Buick'... I've found a car I like in Hutchinson, Kansas. I have replied via the site and have received no reply. When the page loads, it always has..with errors... so I'm thinking the messages are not going through. I've written to several people about cars for sale and have received replies from none of them, which leads me to believe even more that the site has problems and is not sending messages.

If anyone is in or near Hutchinson, please let me know, I can send you the site link and maybe you will know the car or be able to figure out who it belongs to. many thanks for the help, B

I'm sure some of you know how it is...(being forgetful) I know what I'm talking about, and just figure everyone else does also..... What I'd really like to have is a 1955 Roadmaster two door, preferably in blue and white... I replied to the ad Mr. Earl had in his '55s for sale, but it was sold. I know cars can be painted any color, but, changing some of the interior parts isn't so easy... I might go with a Super, but, all depends on location and price. I won't muddy the waters, but there's another Buick I like also.....B

Edited by Earl B.
to add in number of doors (see edit history)

hawk, on my computer, it comes through as green, I know screens can show colors differently.. but, whatever color, at 22,400, far past what I can afford.. This may be like other things I want, and will wind up being more than I can afford...thank you anyway,B

This is were it get's tricky. Looking for a particular color/2D at a price that is in your range will probably be a tall order. When I looked for a classic I looked over 1953-1959 years of all cars available. I systematically excluded certain manufactures for reasons such as popularity or looks. I went for the lesser seen vehicle. At least where I live. Color was not really a consideration since the selection was few getting exactly what I wanted was slim. The next step was determining what I was willing to spend. Buy a car for $4000.00 and spend the next few years putting $20000.00 into it or purchasing one that was just about there but cost more on the front end. I wanted to tinker and enjoy. Not entirely strip and rebuild.(one day maybe) I went with the latter idea and found one that was about 90% completed. Mind you it took about 4 months of searching daily. I believe my efforts paid off. My first true love is the 59 LeSabre/Invicta. But, as luck would have it, the 54 Special in good nick fit the ticket as well if not better than the 59 LeSabre/Invicta. I do not feel I settled on a car. I absolutely adore my 54!

Keep looking everyday! There will be one you find were color will not matter anymore. The car will just look right.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

WOW!! His wheel really went round and round to make a jump like that!!. haha...B

Yes it did. He was really admiring the 57 Buicks. As he looked at available cars he started to believe the "fins" of the later year cars is representative of the era. In a way it is. However, the entire decade produced vehicles that were representative of that entire decade.

The fins of the 60 Imperial are just crazy. The man who designed the Imperials called the 60 his Frankenstein.

I forgot to mention, when looking, see if there is a good following of the particular car and parts support. Buicks have a great following and support of parts is excellent.

The first car I ever licensed was a 1950 Special 2 door fastback. I was 16. The first car I ever owned was a 1949 Plymouth. I was 12. Neither car would appeal to me today. A '50 Roadmaster, sure. A Plymouth? Nah, once I sat down to write a list of all the adjectives I had heard used to describe Plymouths..... not even close to the ones for Buicks and not pretty.

I am thinking about the motivators to buy and relive the first car experience. I have to say I think I am living the same experience. I have a friend who knew me when I was 12 and he has seen me buy and sell more cars that my wife has. The first thing he will tell you is that when a car doesn't meet my expectations its "down the road." Pretty neat; I don't need to relive. I never changed. 52 years and the only thing that changed is the date. Ask Mike. :) Or maybe it was obvious.

Bernie

60FT, We had lots of Buicks over the years... I think the '55 Roadmaster Riviera is one of the prettiest, and as I said, it's the first car I remember. If I change to the car after that, it won't be a Buick... Hopefully someone will think of one in a garage that is unloved and unwanted and I can get it...B

I took my wife out to breakfast this morning and told her about your search. And I complimented your good taste in a first car. I am a little partial to the same model in a ;56. We had a red and white one at my grandfather's tire shop/used car lot when I left for the Navy in 1967. I still remember the cars I left behind, a black 1960 Invicta flattop, my village's 1949 Chevy ambulance, a '55 Willys Bermuda hardtop, a 1941 Nash, and a '56 Chevy 210 2 dr HT with no engine. Still reliving the '60 Buick experience although I don't push the speedo needle all the way across now; still suffering from the multi-car disease, too.

Ummmmm, if you find two Roadmasters........

Bernie

You might try a BCA membership directory to locate a Hutchinson-area Buick Club member who could possibly help. I lived in Hutchinson during 1979-80, and there was a very well preserved one-owner blue '55 Roadmaster 2-door hardtop there at that time. It belonged to the original owner and had been parked in his garage for years, so long that a large fir tree was partially blocking the entrance. The home where the Buick was located was across the street from the school my son attended. I had noticed the tree blocking the garage door and would tell my wife, "I bet there's an old Buick in that garage." One morning when we arrived to drop our son off for school, the garage was open...and there was the '55 Roadmaster! I inquired and was told it wasn't for sale. The man also owned a '42 Chrysler New Yorker, a sedan he'd also bought new, if I recall correctly. It was kept at a different location. It would be neat if it turned out "your" '55 was the same Buick I remember from more than 30 years ago. I have lived in Michigan since 1986 and don't have any remaining car friends in 'Hutch' who could help out with your search. Good luck!

Let me take you to a site of folks that will "get to fixing them up" but don't. It is a shame but sometimes these cars are a memory. Running or not. They keep them for no reason other than that. CarsinBarns.com

Yeah I have come across this site over the years.

Well the good part here is at least these "barn" collector types, God bless them, can have some toys to look at and cherish them too at the same time and don't need to be 400 pointers to do that. Probably worked all their working lives for "the man" who's progeny now sit on their fat asses and buy cars for their peroxide poster queen wives at Barrett-Jackson while collecting on their tax free investment portfolios.:confused:

Guest Rob McDonald

Okay, the gaping hole in the fender of a Cord I can understand but what deviant would screw that hideous bird onto the hood?!

Edited by Rob McDonald
OSD - obsessive spelling disorder (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Um, BERNIE, do you mean Hispano-Suiza, which had a lovely duck on the rad cap? Not that I still own either of these makes, just going from memory (as if!).