Another 58...Roadmaster!

Smartin

[quote

As several of you know, Laurel received a Silver award yesterday. I'm very pleased with that. I was hoping for a Silver, but wasn't expecting it. I know I have lots of work to do before I have it judged again.

Thanks to everyone who came to visit me/Laurel! I met lots of new folks, and put familiar names to faces...thanks to this forum.

I am still blown away by how many B-58's were there.

Ditto on the CONGRATULATIONS Adam!

It was good to meet you in person and yes, you should be proud of Laurel. If I could just figure how to post my video of you driving into the lot, it would show the huge smile on your face on Friday before you received your award.

Congratulations Adam! I am sure the satisfaction of "driving" the car with no failures or problems as a result of all the work that was done in a short time is as gratifying as the award itself......if not more so. That car sure is stunning and oozing with major curb appeal!

Good luck on the trip to BPG

Ditto on the CONGRATULATIONS Adam!

It was good to meet you in person and yes, you should be proud of Laurel. If I could just figure how to post my video of you driving into the lot, it would show the huge smile on your face on Friday before you received your award.

I didn't realize that was you taking the video when I drove by in the parking lot with the huge grin :D I would love to see it!

Thanks guys, for the congrats...now if I could get the axle seal delivered by Monday, I'll be ok. I may hold off on the ball joints for this trip. Too much going on before I leave, not sure I can fit it in.

What a weekend!

As several of you know, Laurel received a Silver award yesterday. I'm very pleased with that. ...

...Thanks to everyone who came to visit me/Laurel! I met lots of new folks, and put familiar names to faces...thanks to this forum.

I am still blown away by how many B-58's were there. I didn't get to meet Lance with his Limited, but I studied the car a bit...and the Archival ELITE award was well-deserved!

Adam, first congrats on your award! I made a great sacrifice of not staying for the awards banquet so I could attend a friend's wedding reception. I was told before the show that any award would be mailed, so I look forward to that. I loved checking your car out (what a beauty) and stopped by a couple times but did not find you there.

Now, allow me to make you feel better about your misfortunes as I share my tale of woe. As I was getting ready to leave for the show Friday morning, my B-58 was flooding out badly. I determined that my newly rebuilt fuel pump was putting out too much fuel pressure (I guess it was not quite the correct model? Need to research this point more). So, I made a hasty trip to the parts store and bought a fuel pressure regulator. While this worked to get me to the show, I was not happy having this thing hanging off the top of my engine and had wished I had just bought one of the aftermarket pumps readily available. But this was last ditch attempt – luckily if it didn’t work though I DID have my 57 Roadmaster which I am confident would make the journey without incident. However, I really wanted to bring the 58 this time.

So anyway I arrived Friday afternoon at the show, and after several hours I decided to get the safety check done and as I was pulling up (oh the irony), my pump begins leaking ferociously! I guess the pressure was even too much for that seal. I was able to take the pump off and tighten it to get through the safety check, but did not feel confident leaving it that way again so I decided I'd try to find an original while a few vendors were still around, and if that failed find an aftermarket pump someplace to install. As it was, Frank Lyle sold me the spare out of the trunk of his 58 Roadmaster (much grateful, sir). It was an OLD rebuilt pump, but I trusted that it was the correct kind since he knows more about 58's than me so I was happy to try it! So, that evening as soon as I got back to the hotel I put the pump from Frank on, and eliminated the regulator. The car fired right up and ran better!

Now, I know I still have issues with the carburetor that I will have to address to dial everything in, and I don't have a lot of long-term confidence in that pump, but the car ran much better. So, Saturday afternoon I drove off with relative confidence. About 30 miles from home, I pulled over to get a refreshing beverage at a gas station. I came out to the car and saw antifreeze pouring out from under the hood! There was no overheating up to that point so I was sort of puzzled. As it turned out, the lower radiator hose burst; I guess parking the car and stopping the cooling effect the motion provided was just enough. Further inspection revealed that the power steering belt rubbed a weak spot in the hose where it burst! Well, I know that one of the first things to replace on a car that has been sitting is hoses, so I had ordered upper and lower radiator hoses some time ago but I hadn't time to put them (or the heater hoses that I wanted to replace at same time) on before the show. Luckily, I had the foresight to put the radiator hoses in the trunk! So, after hosing off under the hood, I was able to change both radiator hoses and install new antifreeze (which I was able to purchase along with 2 new clamps right there are the gas station). And yes, I was even able to tighten that power steering belt while I was at it!

Finally, I got safely back and arrived at the reception very late - so late it was hardly worth going. But, if it did not happen the way it did I may have been changing those hoses in the dark someplace!! All in all, I guess I was in the right place at the right time to have those failures and had all the tools and supplies to take care of them. And gee, I knocked something off my list!

I think I’ll not attempt such a journey again until I get everything taken care of that I want to…

Edited by lancemb
typos (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

New rear shocks went in while I wait for the new axle seal and bearing for the left side. Those bearings are NOT cheap. Yeesh.

I almost forgot how much of a pain the top rear shock mounts are to deal with. Worst design ever!

The last couple trips to OH and IN, and the photos I am seeing of the car on those trips are making me think I'm going to have to paint the lower part of the car below the sweepspears. The mismatched paint on the doors is killing me.

Guest Rob McDonald

Oh, absolutely, we've all noticed how bad that looks but have been too polite to say anything. NOT! Why oh why are we so critical of our own stuff, when others can't see the flaws unless we point them out. However, if it bugs you, enjoy the fixing of it.

Guest Rob McDonald

Okay, I concede. It is pretty bad. As I recall, you were getting pretty good with a spray gun, before your Limited left. Matching the paint is probably going to be your biggest challenge, to which the previous painter would attest.

Jeez, that's a handsome car.

Edited by Rob McDonald
second look (see edit history)

Hopefully the guy with the magic computer tool at the paint store will make a good match. The good thing is that I can paint the entire section below the sweepspear without having to blend into the existing color. So even if it's a teeny bit off, I think it will be ok.

I'm confident in my painting skills at this point...been doing lots of side jobs for friends and a couple other folks to repair tailgates, painted bumpers, fenders, motorcycle gas tanks, etc :)

Those bearings are NOT cheap. Yeesh.

I almost forgot how much of a pain the top rear shock mounts are to deal with. Worst design ever!

Yep, I had the same problem coming back from Ames in my 57 as you had with your 58 going to South Bend. I replaced inner and outer bearings and seals front and rear upon returning. Not cheap but the peace of mind is rewarding!

At this point, not much mechanically that could go wrong on the 57. Wish I could say the same for the 58; it is causing me to neglect the 57 and wonder it I should have stuck to one 50's era Buick as I intended before the Limited thrust itself into the picture...

• 2 weeks later...
It's pretty straight-forward, really.

Step 1 - Disassemble everything and bag/tag all nuts and bolts with proper location.

Step 2 - Clean and/or paint everything you can possibly get to in the engine compartment. Same goes for all parts that were removed during disassembly process.

Step 3 - Reassemble in reverse order.

I usually just take the engine down to the short block and have the heads rebuilt. I also have the radiator cleaned or recored, as well as the heater core.

I find if you just rebuild the top end the bottom end usually can't stand the new pressures and strains and give away the farm. Rings start blowing by etc.

It had been gone-through before, and was painted.

I have done several top end rebuilds, and never seen the mythical "blow-by" that I have heard people talk about after the heads are rebuilt. As I just mentioned, it had been gone-through before, and someone had put hardened seats in. Not sure when, but nonetheless, it was not original. I would rather take the chance with a top end rebuild, than spend a bunch of extra money and time ripping the entire engine apart.

The only time I have seen that mythical "blow-by" after a valve job was when compression was zero due to a burned exhaust valve and was used like that for a long time allowing the piston rings to gum up. It was also on a flathead motor that had a steady diet of non detergent oil.

After WW II lots of folks put new engines in their Buick's, and some just top end work.

I do know for a fact that lots of the top end folks ended up with lower bearing issues, the added compression seemed to be the problem. As far as BLOW-BY, some, but we saw more rod issues.

At one time dad had 110 new engines in crates lined up against the walls of the shop, waiting for installs.

Dale in Indy

Yes doing the heads first and then waiting to see what evolves later is a good game plan as long as your are aware that problems can quickly arise. Working the heads over and not the bottom end are two different game plans yes but not really necessary if you have O.K. vacuum readings and compressions to begin with. Solid heads and valves on an engine with worn rings, piston ring grooves, marginal remaining bearing material etc can indeed facilitate that engine's rebuild.

IMO - As most of us realize and the rest must somehow suspect, is that once a car's original components, body, interior and engine bay have been "processed" it is no longer original. Now if one finds "original" a source of beauty in and of itself regardless of it being scarred, wounded or buffed, then it is indeed a very special beauty for that person. Indeed the beauty in the art of preserving it and not renovating it. It's original soul can never be duplicated. But then again, on the other hand homogenizing a cars exterior or an engine bay in new paints and clear coated parts n works is in itself a form of art and one no doubt perfected by on many a used car dealer's back lot. In the end I guess one receives a well sorted out and shined penny for all the effort.

Smartin your car looks great. Engine bay spanking clean and sorted. It is something you can drive now and work on and not just look at in the garage overwhelmed by what is next on the endless list of things that still need to be done and yet still never getting the chance to even drive it. Your efforts and command of the materials at hand on your back shelves is impressive. Keep up the passion and energy.

• 1 month later...

Stuff on "the list" for the Winter....whether I get to it or not :rolleyes:

Front ball joints

Repair dash pad from earlier this year...have to rebuild the padding behind the vinyl

Lube speedo cable

Replace the rear center bumper section and repaint black stripes

Detail undercarriage

Replace front shocks

Rebuild wiper motor

Repaint lower section of body to attempt to blend doors better. Right now, they look like a checkerboard in the right light.

The transmission started sticking in "low" again in August, and I parked the car. A couple weeks ago, I drained the pan and filled with new fluid, Lucas trans treatment, and a can of B12. It now works again...I'm just hoping it doesn't keep reverting back to its sticky ways after a couple thousand miles...again.

• 6 months later...

Well that Winter went fast.

I was able to get the front shocks replaced...adjusted the brakes and greased the bearings while I was in there. And that was just done yesterday! I've had other projects and cars in the way all Winter, and Laurel sat outside under a cover. Yeah yeah...I can hear it already. She has her garage spot back...for now.

Next weekend is the Forest Park Easter Show in St. Louis, and I plan on attending with Laurel. The transmission still baffles me with the sticky gear when it's cold. It literally takes about a minute of driving the car to get it to start acting appropriately. Sometimes longer, sometimes less. And it doesn't matter how long I let it warm up.

I am going to buy a Lectric Limited points conversion kit for the ignition, and have the carburetor professionally gone-through. I am dealing with a local carb shop now that I've had excellent luck with, and their prices are good. Laurel seems to be a bit cold blooded when started cold. Hopefully, this will smooth her out a bit.

I had also noticed the ball/socket joint at the drivers side exhaust manifold was leaking pretty badly....to the point where the clamp was tight, but the socket was still loose. So I took a piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing and sliced it long ways, and spread it apart (making a 3/4" wide strip of soft copper). I then wrapped it around the ball of the exhaust pipe and tightened the fitting. Voila, instant gasket!

Well that Winter went fast.

LOL! :rolleyes:

Just like last year only on April 20th, it has came back for one last stand here! Woke up to about 2 inches and broke a new snowfall record for the year of 94.8 inches!

post-36036-143142466418_thumb.jpg

80 degrees Sunday and sweating, today 27 degrees and freezing..... WHAT A TEASER!

I'll bet your glad Laurel is back inside?;)

• 3 months later...

I am taking Laurel to the Buick Performance Group national meet in the beginning of August. As soon as I get back, the transmission gets yanked and taken to a local rebuilder. I'm tired of trying to "make it work."

The car has been running much better lately...much better than the last time I updated this thread. It starts right up and the choke works like it's supposed to...and purrs really nicely. Maybe I won't do the ignition conversion like I was threatening to do:)

She's back outside due to some customer cars that have priority. Currently, I have a 35 Buick in for a detail. Last week, it was a 39. I love my (other) job!

• 3 weeks later...

Transmission and rear end are out. Trans is already at the rebuilder. Rear end is blown apart about as far as I want to take it. I need to replace the seals between all the torque tube parts. It is leaking at every connection. This has to be one of the worst jobs that can be done on these cars. What a nightmare of a rear end assembly! I think I said that about the Limited, too...but the body was not in the way when I did that one.

The rebuilder should have it back in my hands in a week or two...pending he doesn't need any unobtainium parts for the flight pitch.

post-31288-143142655819_thumb.jpg

post-31288-143142655825_thumb.jpg

You got that right, Adam!

The torque tube was the curse of the Buicks …….. Don't get me wring…. I love all my Buicks ….

but I hate them torque tubes!!!

Looking forward to hearing how the Flight Pitch rebuild goes. I try not to look cross eyed at mine while it is still working fine!

mike

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/95c6d159/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Transmission and rear end are out. Trans is already at the rebuilder. Rear end is blown apart about as far as I want to take it. I need to replace the seals between all the torque tube parts. It is leaking at every connection. This has to be one of the worst jobs that can be done on these cars. What a nightmare of a rear end assembly! I think I said that about the Limited, too...but the body was not in the way when I did that one.

The rebuilder should have it back in my hands in a week or two...pending he doesn't need any unobtainium parts for the flight pitch.

Worst job? You noticed that too!

Guest Rob McDonald
Worst job? You noticed that too!

Aww, you guys are scaring the rest of us, who haven't had the full-blown experience of removing a Buick rear end. I recently pulled it back far enough to accommodate replacing the Dynaflow but didn't do anything more than change the torque ball seal. It'll be interesting to hear Smartin's report about fixing all the other places these devices can leak. No wonder I'm afraid to get back to the garage!

84 years old. That is just about right for these guys that really know what they are doing and took their special tools home with them when they retired. The new kids on the block in today's trans shops I have found either still know a guy like this, or refuse to work on the dynaflow cause they no nothing about them or take the thing on and learn on your unit. …...Yikes… Adam you are lucky to have this guy to work with.

Dave Edwards is a regular for "services" in the Buick Bugle and is sometimes in Hemmings as well. Bought all my gasket rebuild parts from him. He has limited hard parts. He has something going on with the torque ball kits, either vulcanized or not. Do not remember which one. Keep calling he will answer eventually.

We have found everything but the clutches. Northwestern in OH is sending 3 sets over to see if we can match up a set.

I see in the CARS catalog that they list a master rebuild kit for the Flight Pitch that includes the clutches. Sounds too good to be true. I'll have to call on Monday. It was too late by the time I saw it yesterday.

I gave him the book, as it appears there were several hand-written notes in there that would be important toward the assembly of the beast. He has consulted Jim Hughes once or twice, too. Last I heard, Northwestern was sending him some clutches to see if he could match them up with the ones we have. I also called a guy names Gene out in CA, and he told me "You're F*cked" as soon as I said Flight Pitch. Then he gave me the number to Northwestern, which is my only shot at finding the parts. I told him we were already in touch, and are having trouble finding clutches. This is so much fun! I don't know if I am glad I waited this long to repair the transmission or not. At least I enjoyed it for a while.