Starting thebird in Partk

Guest 56Tbird

• 8 months later...

Hi Miturn, if your car starts in park it could be that the neutral safety switch has been bypassed. That is a bad thing, because it could start in drive or reverse. It is possible to modify the neutral safety switch to allow it to start in park and your car may have been so modified. If not your situation needs to be corrected because of potential danger. Regards,

Hi Miturn, if your car starts in park it could be that the neutral safety switch has been bypassed. That is a bad thing, because it could start in drive or reverse. It is possible to modify the neutral safety switch to allow it to start in park and your car may have been so modified. If not your situation needs to be corrected because of potential danger. Regards,

Ah, thank you. I will have that corrected ASAP as she is coming out of mothballs as we speak.

• 3 weeks later...

I did find in the T-bird parts catalog two neutral safety switches -- one that allows the bird to start in park and neutral and one that allows it only to start in neutral.

The switch is around $75.00 and change, so I will check mine to see if it is one that starts in both P and N first before replacing/repairing it.

Hi Miturn,

If your car is original it should only allow the car to start in park. It is possible that your original switch was modified. The modified switches from the T-Bird parts suppliers have only been available fairly recently (less than five years I believe). I bet you have something else going on with your car, such as the swich is being bypassed. I will be interested to see what you find when you troubleshoot it.

Regards,