Wanted to Buy: 18" Monocle windshield

I'm looking for a brass monocle windshield set-up that would fit a 18" round glass, e.g. fitting a Stutz Bearcat. The Rootlieb model T versions are about 15" and will not work. I'd be very appreciative of any leads, as i'm trying to avoid the casting/machining pathway. Thanks, Glenn Hamilton, Dayton, OH, glenn.hamilton@wright.edu, 937-477-3298

• 2 weeks later...
I would be interested in brass castings, laheyth@comcast.net. I have a foundry friend who can assist, if you are patient....are there any sketches/ photos for details required for the Stutz?

Thanks for both replies on castings. I was hoping to find an original piece, but no luck for over a year. I've had castings made (not cheap!), but wanted to check one more time before going to the machinist. Photos of the castings attached, headed to the machinist shortly, Glenn

post-81784-14313931569_thumb.jpg

post-81784-143139315669_thumb.jpg

post-81784-14313931568_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Glenn,

Does your casting guy have the patterns?

...or an extra set of castings?

I would like to hear a price for un-machined castings.

What is the dimension across the width of the frame?

I assume it holds a 18 in. dia glass?

what dia steering column was it made for, mine is 2"

How does the glass hold in the frame?

Glenn,

Does your casting guy have the patterns?

...or an extra set of castings?

I would like to hear a price for un-machined castings.

What is the dimension across the width of the frame?

I assume it holds a 18 in. dia glass?

what dia steering column was it made for, mine is 2"

How does the glass hold in the frame?

I've been working with these castings and have concluded they are too shallow to hold the glass properly. My plan was to have the glass epoxied in place at a glass shop. Once the groove is cut, the size of the glass increases to 18.5". It's a big piece of glass for the support these castings give. The clamps for the steering column would fit a 2" diameter without problem. Mine is 2.25" and that is too much. All in all, I'm back at square one, and continuing to look for an original monocle windshield. Thanks, Glenn

post-63449-143142612685_thumb.jpg

We have made half a dozen or so brass monocle windshields in the past. Complete with laminated safety glass and all machining they run $750 plus shipping and include machining the column mount to your specifications. I'll post a pic if I can figure out how.

Now I know what to ask Santa for this year.

I am going to have to be a very good boy!

post-63449-14314261263_thumb.jpg

post-63449-143142612659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)