Engine and Transmission Removal

abelincoln

Well, I'm finally pulling the 48 LC V-12 engine for R&R and need to dissect the transmission too, to locate the source of the piece of synchro ring found in the bottom when changing fluid.

Can the engine and OD trannie be pulled as one unit, or would it be better to remove and later install separately?

Any other advice?

Thanks

Abe

Guest zazothex

Second the 2-piece pull. I have a 2-ton cherrypicker and went over the nose. I got the 2-ton mainly because I had to extend to boom so far out. I had a bit of trouble with getting the tranny out after; the wishbone kinda limited me getting to it with a floor jack.

I would especially like to know how it goes ; I'll be putting the V12 back in my '41 Cabriolet this spring.

It came out THREE years ago - I pulled the engine and transmission separately - Did not have to do

anything with the rear axle.

Mike Lynch

• 2 months later...

1941:

Engine is out, after I figured out there is a second bolt on the front motor mounts. I'll be looking for a new / rebuilt set later. Went to Home Depot and got a couple 1/2" hooks I could screw into a flat bar with holes to fit the center head studs and run a foot or so of chain between them. Mounted engine on stand with the exhaust manifold bolt holes, but couldn't flip over to get the pan off, so I'll try mounting on the rear with a 3000 lb stand and class 8 bolts. I ordered a flathead spring compressor on e-bay. This could take months.

Abe

Guest zazothex

Have fun. Mine's been in pieces and boxes for about 6 months. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Aiming for 2 more weeks to get it running

Have fun. Mine's been in pieces and boxes for about 6 months. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Aiming for 2 more weeks to get it running

Pulling the motor seperate is the way to go.. Put a brace under the transmission across the wishbone. I have just rolled the transmission to the passenger floorboard and out the door. The removal of the right front tire really helped me on reinstalling the motor with the cherry picker... In Ohio I had an overhead crane that I used but here in Florida I purchasesd a cherry picker only to find out that the arm was too short to go in from the front. The article a few months ago solved the problem. I really think it was easier than with the crane. Lee Waldren Ft. Myers, Fl.

I removed my engine WAY back in April 2010 , and I am just now completing

the rebuild. I had to dig to find the removal pictures , but when pulled, I simply

used a piece of oak to support the transmission to the wishbone, then used a transmission

jack to remove the tranmission.

After rebuilding/repacing EVERYTHING in the engine and transmission (starting with a new block) It will SOON go back together in time for summer driving.

post-39370-143141800404_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143141800409_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143141800412_thumb.jpg

post-39370-143141800417_thumb.jpg