Have you ever left Hershey without that precious flea purchase?

R W Burgess

<O:p</O:p

I’m not a big flea market person. My feet do not like a lot of walking so by the end of my first day in Hershey, my dogs are talking-BIG TIME. About 3 years ago, I was walking around the “bottoms” on the south east side of the Giant Center when I came across a beautiful scale model of a brass “brick machine” enclosed in a glass display case. It was an over-the-road company rep model of the machinery that was in use many years ago. I was like a little kid in a candy store admiring this jewel in the box. The price was really expensive, something like the cost of a cheap used car. I was trying to convince myself that this would be a one of a kind purchase, even if I had to make payments to my wife to pay for it. The problem is my poor farmer upbringing would not allow me to buy it. I still think of this lost sale/purchase (depending on who’s buying and who’s selling).

Any of you guys ever been haunted by the pieces you did not buy from Hershey?

Wayne

Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

Wayne, one year I somehow had a pile of money laying around, and decided to go to Hershey with thousands in 100's in my pocket, and find something to buy.

A fellow had a nice Model F Buick for sale, and was asking just a smidgeon more than I had in my pocket. I debated trying to make a deal, left to walk around and think about it, and when I returned a few hours later the car was sold.

As the guy says, the time to buy something unique is when you have it in your hand, and it's for sale.....

Like David and Wayne, I certainly live with the "WOULDA', COULDA', SHOULDA'" syndrome, and yes, the time to purchase is when the item is in your hand, and your cash is in your pocket (or a close friend's pocket).

A Brass-Era "SERPENT" Bulb Horn stands out in my mind - outrageously expensive at the time (almost 20 years ago), but I had the cash .....

A 1958 Imperial convertible - driver quality - white car, white top, red interior at a somewhat elevated price (at least I thought so 10 years ago).....

The late George Grew's Model F Buick, when he suggested that I buy it from him a dozen years ago......

....we grow too soon old, and too late smart.....

Here's another one, David.

I had just finished meeting my newfound HCCA friends in the flea market for the "free" (best kind) homemade ice cream (thanks Janice Weaver) and was on my way back to the "bridge" when I saw this couple pondering over a neat old red electric guitar with neon lights attached to it, in the shape of a guitar. It was cool and I think he wanted $100.00 for it. The merchant said that it needed a transformer to make it work. I looked over their shoulder and told them they should buy it. As I walked away I thought that I should have gone back and bought it myself. My son, Mike would have been tickled pink (red in this case) to get that for a Christmas present.

Wayne

It was a wall hanger, David. The neon tubes were screwed into the frame.

Well, those folks were looking at it first. I figured they probably bought it. The seller was in the neon business so I am sure you guys have seen him before. He was near the permanant restrooms, end of a row.

W.

Just picking at you, playing around.....one of the worst feelings is what happened to me at Hershey once....I love Pierce Arrows, and do trim work, so I walk up to a booth and a fellow is holding a thick book of upholstery samples, with a leather cover embossed "Pierce" with the arrow through it, and he's discussing purchase with vendor. A wonderful early 1930's factory piece, and he said $150, and the would-be customer was hesitant. I stood slightly in the background, listening, just wishing and hoping he'd put it back down on the table, at which point it'd be "fair game" once again.....after 5 minutes of talking to vendor, he finally says "I guess I'll buy it" and my heart sunk.....had I been a wealthier man I would have offered the buyer twice that, but at the price paid it was a bargain....

The one I still think about was way back in the 70s. We use to stay over till Sunday mornings to head home and Saturday night a fellow came up and offered us a deal on a Jeepster, was nice looking but had been updated with a small V8 (don't remember what). He had brought a load of cars down to sell and bought one more than he sold and was offering the Jeepster real cheap (stupid cheap). I didn't think to hard about it because I had no way to get it home. Was on my way home when I thought for the money he was asking I could have found a place to park it for a a couple of weeks till I could come back for it and still be ahead or take an extra day off from work and get temporary tags on it and had the wife follow me home.

Well, the one that no one will believe....this was at Hershey about 20 years ago on the White field, I got there early and was setting up. I was about a third or so a way down the field from the entrance, you old timers know what I'm talking about. I looked over, and there was a 1932 Ford roadster on a trailer, coming into the field. Pigeon droppings and all, no kidding, but it was a solid car and seemed to be all there from what I could see from a football field away. Huge letters and numbers spray painted on the side "for sale $2500". I literally ran to intercept the driver, but guess I wasn't in good enough shape....by the time I got to him, the car had been sold....he was stopped on the entrance road talking to the new owner....even then, not even being a Ford guy, I knew what a deal it was......even 20 years ago....

The number one rule of Flea Market Shopping is:

"Buy it when you find it because it will be gone when you come back". You'll still be talking about it all these years later.

If you are reading this and you say it's never happened to you, you're fooling nobody, not even yourself.

Guest Rob McDonald

I went to Hershey in 1984, celebrating my 30th birthday, and don't remember feeling I missed any redhot buying opportunities. I did get a bunch of NOS trim I needed, a good taillight assembly, and a very nice moustache bar, which Air Canada didn't bat an eye putting in the Precious Treasures part of the cargo hold.

`

Every couple of years since, in late October when all the news from the big meet is still fresh, I think about picking up the phone and booking a room somewhere in Hershey for the next year's event. You've really got to do it that early or you'll be staying 60 miles away. I always chicken out, thinking I can't plan that far ahead and I won't know anybody and it's going to cost too much and all the real bargains were made years ago anyway.

That's my Hershey regret story but it's one that I could fix right now. Well, maybe tomorrow 'cause it's 2:00am in Pennsylvania right now...

A few things pop into my mind. Last year I passed on a decent 1932 Chrysler Hood ornament with the Gazelle and wings even the antlers except the very tip of one were intact and although far from pristine very presentable for 50.00 . The seller started at 100 but after I bought a bunch of other stuff the price came down alot. I'm not a hood ornament collector but in that shape it was a pretty good buy.

I remember three years ago there was a black 52? Olds 2 door hardtop all redone, Arrow straight body nice undercarriage, Beautiful chrome everywhere including the vent windows and a perfect interior. It sold for the asking price or less which I think was 16,500 and I would say was a solid # 2 car. I admired it later when it was parked at the Days inn We were staying at in the corner of the parking garage with all the writing off it and sold on the windshield.

I also remember an Auburn Speedster possibly 35 in front of the Giant center in the car corral with chips scratches and wear but still a pretty darn nice car for $90,000? Looking at the market today that is a pretty good deal and this was in the last 5 years. I think it was Maroon. Maybe it was a replica or a replica body but boy it looked real in and out.

I do remember in the 90's while I was at Carlisle in the fall before I started going to Hershey there was a 1931? Marmon 8 cylinder Phaeton that was in primer for sale for 7,500 and looked rust free but was missing little parts here and there. Does anyone else remember seeing that car? I was impressed that at the time it was priced at what a comparable A Ford would be priced at.

I'm sure many other near misses but those stick out in my mind.

I remember looking at that Auburn. I believe it was the real deal, prices on speedsters/boat tails have gone up dramatically in the last few year. Even the replicated ones are bringing good money.....I also remember thinking it was a good deal at the time but it was out of my price range, as they surely are now.....

• 7 months later...

A few years ago - 2010 - I think, I ran across a guy that had an 1890's pump organ in Chocolate north. It looked to be in good shape and played well. He wanted $400 for it which I thought was a steal. I wanted to think about it but when I went back, it was gone. Seems odd to find a pump organ at an auto flea market but that's what's so neat about Hershey. That's one example, there are plenty of others!

• 1 month later...

My rule is: if it more than I think I should be spending. Wait a day, and hope it gone next walk through, Those last year I did even get one full trip through in 3 1/2 days. I must be getting older, or I just don't see as well. 64 this past may, my first Hershey was 1989 or 88 just after I bought the Packard. 25 years ago.

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

I've made Hershey for -- well this will be my 30th Straight Year with out a miss, and in the same CG-32,33,34 spaces since 1984, and some others prior to that, going back to the 1950s !

The Serpent Bulb Horn and George Grew's Model F Buick are among my biggest regrets, but each year it seems that, about the time we hit Southbound I-81, I get a case of the Would-a, Could-a, Should-a regrets.

I can only imagine what my garage (as well as under the spare bed) would look like today - even more packed than it is, with "stuff" for the kids to dispose of, or divvey-up when I'm at room-temperature and they have to pry my hands off the Packard steering wheel ;)

I am not a big fan of flea markets or auctions but I do watch out for diecast vehicles and books. A few years ago I was at a show and walked over where someone had a couple of tables set up. Got to the table and a gentlemen was turning a diecast truck over and over in his hands. I determined as soon as he set it down I was going to purchase it as I could see the price was $65.00. Imagine my surprise when he set it down just to pull out his wallet and pay for it. I was sure he was just killing time window shopping but......