Information needed

I just picked up an old timing device that screws in above the #6 cylinder for an L head, it has all the attatchments and the original box. Any idea as to what this may be worth? It didn't have the manual with it so I'm searching for it now. Any information would be appreciated.

I have no idea on value, but do you have any pictures? I would like to find a set myself.

Thanks,

Scott

I'll get some pictures and try to post them. I've been looking for one of these for over twelve years at swap meets and on line. I saw one several years ago and it was in bad shape and no parts with it. So, I jumped on this one. I learned a long time ago not to wait if you see something. Hoping someone would see the post and have an instruction sheet they would let me copy.. I bought it off Ebay sale 140892091480 several pictures.

Tom-the owners manuals for these early cars like my 30 Desoto tell you how to use this device.

Martin Lum

30 Desoto CK

My instruction book for my 1930 Chrysler model 70, tells all the settings and how to adjust them, but doesn't mention this device or how to use it. Tells you to remove the pipe plug, piston at the top etc. Tim Wolfe

I see from this pic that there is a gauge to find TDC.

I will explain a simple procedure if one does not have a tool

Take the plug out and fashion a piston stop (you may tap an extra plug with a screw that extends into the cylinder, we will now call this a piston stop). With all of the spark plugs out turn the engine MANUALLY until the piston hits this stop. Then mark the flywheel or balancer to a place on the timing mark or other reference point. Then turn the engine MANUALLY in the opposite direction until the piston hits the stop again. Then mark that point on your timing mark. Your perfect TDC will be midpoint between these two marks that you have just made.

You can usually do this thru a spark plug hole on OHV engines as well (or most two strokes for that mater).

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

I got mine just because I saw it in the shop manual time and time again. I have never needed one and as mentioned there are modern ways forchecking TDC. On a MoPar flathead I have never needed one in 40 years of rebuilding them. The tool is just cool looking!

• 9 months later...

I managed to get one of these off of ebay at a good price but like everyone else, no instructions. I just found something that I think may be of use. My grandfather made photocopies of two pages from an unknown book that describes how to time an engine using one of these timing gauges. The note at the top of the second page talks directly about using one of the "new gauges" with the built in spark gap. I took a couple of quick pictures, but will be able to get better scans at some point when I'm not so busy.

post-79380-143142209412_thumb.jpg

post-79380-14314220939_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
I just picked up an old timing device that screws in above the #6 cylinder for an L head, it has all the attatchments and the original box. Any idea as to what this may be worth? It didn't have the manual with it so I'm searching for it now. Any information would be appreciated.

Just found a paper on how to use this tool. If anyone wants a copy, send me your email address. timandjuliawolfe1@roadrunner.com