Rear Wheel Bearing Removal - 1927 DB Model 124.

Guest M R Simpers

Guest M R Simpers

I have pulled apart the rear right hub as part of rebuilding the brakes, and I want to replace the 3 inner felt seals behind the wheel bearings.

I have removed the retaining ring. This ring has the wheel bearing outer race pressed into it. Is there a secret on how to pull the bearing off the axle? The outer race, and as much of the roller bearings that I can see, looks good.

Assuming I can pull the bearing off and dig out the old "felt grease washers" (a.k.a. - felt seals), what will I find behind the felt seals? There is only one poor cross section sketch in the "Mechanics' Instruction Manual". I would think that there would be some sort of "stop" in the axle housing to keep the 3 inner felt seals from moving into the axle housing. What is in there?

OK, experts, give me some help here.

Thanks.....

M.R. Simpers

Guest M R Simpers

Thanks. I read this, and he is questioning the felt seal locations.

There are 2 outer seals (one per side) and 6 inner seals (3 per side). His posting was questioning where the 3 inner seals go.

They go behind the wheel bearings.

I opened this up yesterday, but I haven't attempted to pull out the wheel bearing. With the outer race coming off with the threaded retaining ring, I can't help but believe that the remaining inner race (with its roller bearing) is snuggly pressed onto the axle.

With the retaining ring off there is about 0.4" of side clearance around the wheel bearing, and with no retaining ring there is about 0.25" of axle play. If the DB's made a bearing puller tool, it should be possible to pull off this bearing and race - maybe.

Any thoughts? I'm going to return to the posting you referenced and see if he was given any direction.

Thanks.... it goes on....

M.R.

Guest M R Simpers

OK, I read Mike's postings, and I didn't learn much. It appears that those who got into this pulled out the axle. That is the last thing I want to do.

I still would like to hear from anyone who has pulled off a wheel bearing just to get to at these seals.

What say?

M.R.

• 1 year later...
Guest mhwilliams
OK, I read Mike's postings, and I didn't learn much. It appears that those who got into this pulled out the axle. That is the last thing I want to do.

I still would like to hear from anyone who has pulled off a wheel bearing just to get to at these seals.

What say?

M.R.

i just replaced the three seals behind the axle on my 1927 dodge roadster there were three on each side. You have to be careful pulling the cover that holds the seals in place. Soak the seals in oil is what i have heard to do. replace the little cover put the axle back in. Its not to hard just be patient. Getting the dang wheels off was absolutely the hardest part.