understanding type 70 chassis number?

Guest racingsnake

Guest racingsnake

Greetings from over the pond (I'm new here).

Have searched for info on how to understand the type 70 / 72 chassis number, is it possible to verify year, where built etc and any other information the number actually gives? I know about the FEDCO translation, and think numbers run sequential, but have noticed some people on here are able to understand the number further. Any help much appreciated, or please advise of where I can source the info, ie books, as I would like to learn more. The number is WS810R. It came over from America (left side steering wheel) and I think its 1927!

Guest racingsnake

Some photos, please comment on what you see! From what I can tell it seems to be very original? Not sure about the paint, it underwent some restoration around 20 years ago, the exterior or the steel was painted, but underside not. Could it originally have been green? Chrysler records only go back to 1930 for build specs apparently.

I have now got a model and serial chart guide, it would seem the engine could still be original, as it is prefix "G" which is correct for 1925-26. Engine number is not on the left side on the block by the water jacket cyl 1-2, but stamped on the timing chain case G93977. I have even found a stamped tag on the left side of the trans "8 21 25" could this be the date on trans manufacture? Do you need to run a lead replacment additive in the petrol, and I guess 91 octane is ok on these engines? I'm assuming it's the 218 cubic inches, standard 4.7:1 CR. I'm wanting to prep it for racing, can I simply skim the head to achieve the red head 6:1 CR, and run higher octane?

front.jpg

dash.jpg

engL.jpg

engR.jpg

Shimming would raise the compression but not mirror Red Head performance. The combustion chamber is different at least in the advertising material, apparently manufactured very closely to the principles of a certain Mr Ricardo of GBR who the story tells did (as Vauxhall) sue Chrysler for infringment? And that car appears almost too nice to drag into the woods VSCC style..

post-59101-143139287234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Narve N (see edit history)

Guest racingsnake

Thanks for the replies, very interesting. Obviously I can search the net, but you guys here are good.

I have the car and big passion, just not all the knowledge.

I'm into circuit racing, hill climbs and sprints, I prefer to keep it on the asphalt track...no getting muddy thanks!

Guest racingsnake

I have bought a copy of the old part numbers reprinted book! There is a number cast on my flat head top, that matches the part number for a later silverdome head, could this just be coincidence... and it is simply a casting number that bears no relation to the Chrysler part#, anyone know?