All Indiana-built car show for 2014

Guest JeffreyShively

Guest JeffreyShively

During the 1990s, Muncie, Indiana was the host to several “Hoosier Motor Musters,” shows that displayed only Indiana-built cars. After a few years, the show dropped off the map. As the Director of Development for the Kokomo Automotive Museum, I would like to revive that concept for the summer of 2014 to use as our museum’s signature event. We have the largest collection of Haynes and Appersons in the country, so Kokomo is a logical site. I’d like to invite all Indiana makes, from Anderson to Zimmerman, big or small, to this event. The question that I have on this forum is simple. Is there enough interest in Indiana-built cars to bring people from all over the country for an annual show? Please let me know what you honestly think.

Jeffrey Shively

Director of Development for the Kokomo Automotive Museum

Kokomo, Indiana

Jeffrey,

Hopefully you understand that people who won antique cars have a myriad of opportunities to go to car shows of all types. Your goal of wanting people fromall over the country is admirable but you need to take into account that after gas, tolls, hotel rooms and food this is no inexpensive proposition for car owners. The key for you is to find the right hook to bring people to your event. Too often event organizers do not consider the car owner needs and wants in their planning and execution. Best of luck...hopefully you can visit us at our Auburn meet next year!

On one of the Great American Races, someone in Indiana gave me a booklet about all the cars made in Indiana.

A really impressive list. Good luck in resurrecting the show. Other responders have offered good advice.

I think when you consider the heavy guns, Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg, Studebaker, etc., that the average car guy may know are from Indiana, let alone the myriad smaller marques, you definitely have the potential for "interest." Having planned various events, several in Indiana actually, I can offer the advice that for first-year events, or even those just a few years in, for the need to allow a period to build audiences and attendance. Plan for a slow first few years in your budget, planning and advertising. If at all possible, do the event during another large local affair such as a county fair, art walk, etc. If you can draw on an audience that is already in town you will do much better than expecting attendees to travel specifically for an as-yet-unproven event. Also, get as many car clubs, car blogs, local news and the like to promote your event early on, make a facebook page dedicated to the event and so forth to allow interaction with the public and younger crowd too.

Coincidentally, I posted this query about 7-months ago here, if you have any info I would be most appreciative.

http://forums.aaca.org/f156/info-gordon-buehrigs-personal-car-327172.html

I would be happy to do some write-ups and promotion for you on my own car blog as the event nears. Please get in touch any time either through the message function on this site or through the blog if that suits you. Good luck and have fun!