Watson Stabilator Webbing

odyssey

Tom, As you probably remember I have been involved with Stabilator webbing for a long time. I checked the M.C. material, it has anylon core and a breaking strength of 2200 lbs/inch. 1-1/2 inch weould be 3300 lbs. The original webbing was very similar to 4 ply Solid Woven Cotton Belting in the yarns used and the construction of the product. I dug out Recommended Standards sheets put out many years ago when SWCB was an industry standard product. 4 ply belting has a thickness of 3/16' and a breaking strength of 1000 lbs/inch. The m.c. product at 1.5" width and doubled would be 6600 lbs. I don't know how they can make this strength in this width without having a solid, not yarn, core anddon't know how they can do that. Love to see a bit of it.

Stabilator straps came in a range of widths. Obviously it would have been more cost efficient to produce all Stabilators the same width. I think the width range was related to the weight of the car used on and the strap was designed as the weak link in the system so that it would break before damage was done to the Stabilator body or maybe a car spring. I would be very leery of using anything stronger including seatbelt webbing as suggested by David.

The last time I supplied straps, about 10 years ago, I obtained the last stock of 1.5' 4 ply SWCB that the only remaining manufacturer had. The word was no more would be made unless they received a "large" order. I take that to mean 1000s of feet.

I don't know what is the answer to the supply problem. I believe the critical factors are strength, width and non-ravelling edges. Thickness is not. Thhere may be some construction out there in webbing land that meets those requirements that we just haven't found. Another possiblity is slit to width rubberized belting of the proper strength where the rubber would bond the textile reinforcement in place.

A lot of searching needs to be done.

Gordon

Hi Gordon -

Yes, it seems there could be a rubberized belting that could work and perhaps that is the best place to look. Jeff has a contact (his dad's old conveyor business) and said he could look into it.

I always prefer a stock appearance, yet in the end function is more critical. I'll get a sample of the MC webbing...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom,

I am another Franklin owner needing Stabilator webbing for my 10B. I suspect that there is a lot of demand for these straps. My car is 90 years old and it is not surprising that the straps are broken. This year at the Trek, I plan to ask around to find out how many other Franklin owners have broken Stabilator straps.

Surprisingly, the car rides pretty well with all four Stabilator straps broken, but I want to make it right by fixing the Stabilators.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

While cleaning out my barn today, I found a roll of webbing labeled "Watson Stabilator." It looks like the right stuff, and I'd like to try it out in Dad's 10C touring. Where can I find some instructions on replacing the straps and setting up the stabilators?

Guest richentee

John Strawway did a tech session on these a couple of years ago at the Trek. He might be able to send you the info.

If you go to the Franklin Club site, go to Tech and then Questions and Answers, there is a description of how to disassemble and reassemble Stabilators dated 6/25/05, instructions by Paul Fitz. Also look at http://www.franklincar.org/FAQ/watson5.htm for articles on Stabilators. The real problem is if you need replacement webbing; I don't know where to get it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Folk on this forum I have a Dodge Brothers Senior 6 that has Watson Stabilators fitted When I restored them I used a 1 1/2" wide nylon strap that I had saved from a job 18 years ago This strapping is white in coulor and has a 5 ton breaking capacity The restoration of my car is not completed so they have not been road tested During the cleaning up process I dug out of the brake bands what I thought to be 80 odd years of crud. I have now discovered that these little bits of what I assumed the be dirt are actually a lubricating insert that should not have been removed Can any one tell me if these little discs are available Thanks in advance Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi GH I have had the task of clearing out my father-in -laws garage as he is now in aged care and among'st the stuff that I found is some graphite impregnated carbon rod Only about 12 inches of it so that's what I intend using It has not been lab tested but looks and feels the same as the original material Where my f-i-l got this from God knows He never tossed any thing away I did try looking on the net for a supplier here in Australia without much luck so I recon I am lucky to have found what the piece in Pops old stash I wish you luck and have a Happy Christmas Ron