1948 Lincon Continental Frame question

Guest FERoadster

Guest FERoadster

My first post here on this Forum. So i figured it was OK to ask a question. I'll post some pictures of the car later.

I’m working on my Lincoln and pulled the rear axle for some maintenance and noticed that the frame is actually a dual U channel welded about every 8”. The inner channel is about 1” thinner in width so it forms a boxed U channel.

The outside U is tightly fit (nestled) over the inner. All holes seem the same in both channels.

Is this the factory frame design? I’m not sure if this was the standard design or something aftermarket.

The car was restored ( it had a 57 Cadillac engine however) in the early 80’s from what I’ve been told.

I removed the Caddy engine and will be installing a Ford 390 FE with 3X2 Thunderbird intake and a Ford 3 spd standard trans.

Thanks >>> Richard

Edited by FERoadster (see edit history)

To my knowledge the only section of the side rails that were boxed was from the front cross member ( engine mount) back to the second cross member ( transmission mount). The Cad engine and tranny probably wouldn't have added any weight so extra "boxing" wasn't necessary.

Guest FERoadster

I did check and it is boxed from the front Crossmember to the trans mount crossmember. From there back to the rear axle shock mount there is acually a sandwiched U channel frame.

the 2 U channels are a tight fit one inside the other. Before I posted this question I did a search on "Continental Frame" and found one thread regarding the X member. My 48 does not have an X member, rather a 3rd cross member just behind the 2 heater blower motors under the front seat.

This is just a coursity point.

Thanks Richard

What kind of rear suspension do you have? The original shocks mount to the bottom of the frame rail behind the rear axle. X-cross members were used on the convertibles and the 3rd cross member was used on closed cars. The extra bracing you have sure can't hurt though.

Guest FERoadster

Well the truth is that I removed the rear axle to install a 9" Ford while still utilizing the original Lincoln rear spring. I'm locating the axle fore & aft using a 4 bar setup.

In doing so I had to set the front 4 bar mount into the frame rails since my Continental only has about 6" of ground clearance. All is going great, thats when I discovered the dual U Channel frame.The front mounts are in today (bolts thru the frame sides) & welding tomorrow.

The shocks are lever action and mount under the frame behind the rear axle.

I'll dig out the title tomorrow & figure out the Vin to see if it's an early or late 1948 production date.

Richard

Edited by FERoadster
clarification (see edit history)