HAS ANYONE REALLY TRIED THIS ON THEIR H V-12?

In the June 1994 TWOZ , Jake Fleming wrote an article about diverting the oil draining from

the oil pump gear housing , supposedly to prevent too much from getting into cylnders #11 & #12.

HAS ANYONE EVER PUT THIS DRAIN TUBE IN THEIR ENGINES??

I am now reassembling my V12 , and would like to know.

Also , anyone tried anything for better crankcase ventilation??

ANYONE ??????

A PCV system works very well on a V12. It's a fairly easy set up as the V12 intake manifold already has the access ports to rig up a system. I use PCV valves from 60's small block (292) Ford engines. If you don't use a carb spacer with a vacuum port you can use the forward vacuum port on the manifold. That port is threaded 1/2-20 so you can use a 1/4 pipe thread fitting there. The vent tube port on the forward right side edge of the intake manifold can be used as it vents to the valve chamber. It's not a direct "route" because of the intake gasket so you only get the "fumes" and vented air being drawn inthru the engine via the oil filler cap. You'll really appreciate this system with a tired engine as it will eliminate the nasty ( blow-by) fumes spewing out of the oil filler tube when the engine is under load.

John. Sorry I don't have a photo of the system described above. Both my PCV equiped engines have 4 barrel manifolds and utilize a carb spacer as the vacuum source, I used a Fram FFFV100 PCV valve on both systems, It is threaded 1/4 pipe on the suction end and the vent end is 1/2" hose. Made up a "plug" fitting with a right angle nipple for the the vent hole in the manifold. The system has almost no effect on idling but you will notice a slight decease in idle speed if you seal off the oil filler tube with your hand. This is more pronounced on a "tight" engine with little or no blowby. I believe it's best to get the vacuum source as close to the carb base (spacer) as you can for the best "mixing". In lieu of a spacer it might be a little risky drilling/tapping into the carb flange tower on the manifold if you don't want to use the forward vacuum tap on the manifold?

Another caution is to make sure the vent (in the manifold) is clear especially if the engine has "some miles on it". Sludge will build up in the shelf area above the manifold gasket. Onced cleared the PCV system should keep it open.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

I have not used a pcv valve but the old elderbrock 2x2 intake manifold I have on the car has two port on the front that go into the crankcase, I hooked them up to a port that is in the intake manifold and have had no problem with using any oil. It did take a few days to get the jetting right on the carbs but it runs like a top.

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed the drain tube in a V12. If you look at the rear of the engine with the oil pump idler gear cover removed you will see a hole in there. I installed a section of brake tubing that fit inside the hole and flared the end to keep it from coming through. You will need to put a 90 degree bend to angle it to the oil pan and its long enough to almost reach the pickup screen. To secure it I made a tab and soldered it to the tube and secured it under the oil pump hold down bolt. I did this modification and Im not sure it it really does any good but it surely hasnt done any harm.