posi traction rear end

dr914

I installed this about a year ago with new fluid and the additive, and even paid (down the toilet) a driveline shop to replace a couple of bearings, it still locks up in a slow turn and whines. I can drive the car but the whine really bugs me along with the lockup when turning. I had had a very smooth regular rear end in it that my Dad had had a shop install when the first posi went bad back in the early 80s but since the car had posi from the factory I wanted it again, so now I am "suffering" (LOL)

If the clutches were original and therefore somewhat worn the rear end would have less chatter in turns. I would try a flush and fill on the diff, maybe with a synthetic gear lube plus additive. Keep in mind when the car is operated in a straight line for an extended period of time, like several hundred miles on the highway, the rear may still chatter on the first turn or two, until oil works it`s way between the clutches again.

The whining noise is a separate issue. There are quite a few possibilities if someone was into the diff but generally rear end whine is due to ring and pinion gears or their mating/ relationship/adjustment. Keep in mind the higher the ratio the more likely the gears will whine. I have had many `60`s GM products with 3:42 rear gears and almost all whine a little at highway speeds.

Tom Mooney

thank you for the input Tom. Obviously this whine occurs on and then off the gas, is there hope to shim the differential to cure or is it hopeless because of the wear? Ring gear and pinion looked good! The clutches bind and pop in a very tightly wound steering wheel position and I feel that I have put enough miles on it to thoroughly saturate the clutches with oil and additive. Will installing the new clutch pack Rick suggested (and that I just ordered) solve the problem of the binding? Rick does your 65 ever seem to bind in tight, next to no speed, situations?

George..generally, gear whine due to wear or poor adjustment is most prevalent in a coasting or steady throttle mode and will disappear upon deceleration. If you have noise in both a throttle on and off mode I would lean toward a bearing issue. As I stated, if someone has been thru the diff the whine could be sourced to a number of possibilities. Dont disregard the driveshaft center bearing as the possible culprit. If this bearing is on the way out or just bad out of the package it will make noise continuously. Why not take the diff back to the rebuilder that did the work? Or just try a switch to synthetic gear oil...worth a try, easy enough.

tenugent...I`m not a fan of synthetic oil due to cost and the tendency for it to turn seepage into leakage but for a "chatty" diff this may be the answer as it tends to flow better, especially when cold, and is very slippery/sticky. Please get the band back together,

Tom Mooney

I did take the car to a driveline shop, a good one and he said that the noise was definitely the rear end and that the driveshaft was just fine. I did not have much faith in the shop that took my 750 bucks and did nothing to help the noise NOR the lockup. Said that they installed new bearings and again changed the fluid and put in the additive. (didn't it use to be whale oil??)(LOL) Sure wish that there was a good shop around atlanta that I could trust to do a good job. Seems so simple!!!!!