X-Mas Barn Find

jeff_a

Hmmm, I think I would try not to think very much about it. I wouldn't want to be disapointed.

I've educated my wife quite well ,against her wishes,:) so it was either an incredible deal or a car I have really been looking for. That would also have had to have been a deal. My wife never overpays for anything.

That being said an Auburn Open car would do or possibly that 40's Cadillac or C1 Corvette I have been looking for.

My wife shares the car interest and she knows what I would want - she actually did buy me a Model A once which was really cool.

We both want a series I or II Jaguar E Type, FHC, which would be what I would hope to find as we are looking for one...

I have also been missing a pre-war or prewar style car so anything interesting from say, '37 to '48 would be nice. (Auburnseeker knows he could help out here but we'll see.... :) )

Last, she does not want one of these but knows I do - an MG "T" series would be cool.

My wife shares the car interest and she knows what I would want - she actually did buy me a Model A once which was really cool.

We both want a series I or II Jaguar E Type, FHC, which would be what I would hope to find as we are looking for one...

I have also been missing a pre-war or prewar style car so anything interesting from say, '37 to '48 would be nice. (Auburnseeker knows he could help out here but we'll see.... :) )

Last, she does not want one of these but knows I do - an MG "T" series would be cool.

Patience Steve_Mack_CT the time will come. I 'm still getting the bugs worked out for you. I drove her another 10 miles today. Weather sounds good this weekend as well so I'll get her out and exercise her some more. There is sill some more NOS chrome left to bolt on.;)

Ok, she won PowerBall the week before, and had to buy both cars she found in a barn, both nice, as last raced in 1927, a Type 37A Bugatti and a MILLER INDY Car.

If your wife gave you a card saying she had purchased a Barn Find Antique Car for you and it was a mystery until you went out to the barn....what what be your preferred auto?

..and I took Mr. Peterson as a "droptop" man. I've always like the E type, best as seen from the rear. ;)

Surprised me too. FHC Jags always look odd to me because I'll bet they designed them as DHC's. The XK's and earlier E's just look strange to me but maybe you guys know something I don't or have seen them in person.

Originally Posted by R W Burgess viewpost-right.png

..and I took Mr. Peterson as a "droptop" man. I've always like the E type, best as seen from the rear. ;)

Originally Posted by BJM

Surprised me too. FHC Jags always look odd to me because I'll bet they designed them as DHC's. The XK's and earlier E's just look strange to me but maybe you guys know something I don't or have seen them in person.

If I had a choice, I'd take the coupe. In fact, I recently bought a Chrysler Crossfire coupe without even considering the convertible.

Bryan, you may have seen the V-12 "coupe," which does look really strange (kind of like looking at an egg with a long hood attached). The series 1 and 2 six-cylinder coupes are very, very sleek looking. Maybe this photo shows the lines better:

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

post-33613-143139260547_thumb.jpg

post-33613-143139260574_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer
Originally Posted by R W Burgess viewpost-right.png

Originally Posted by BJM

If I had a choice, I'd take the coupe. In fact, I recently bought a Chrysler Crossfire coupe without even considering the convertible.

Bryan, you may have seen the V-12 "coupe," which does look really strange (kind of like looking at an egg with a long hood attached). The series 1 and 2 six-cylinder coupes are very, very sleek looking. Maybe this photo shows the lines better:

My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

In the 6 cylinder there is a coupe and a 2+2 - the V12 coupe is the size of the 2+2 so has the much more awkward (to me) roofline

Having once owned a 1963 "E-Type" I can assure you, that no matter how they are best viewed,

They are best enjoyed from behind the Steering Wheel

------- Much more refined than "C-Type, and D-Type", which I have also had the good fortune to drive, but in my younger days, my XK-120MC was a blast....

Luckily, the FHC to is my favorite configuration for these - I would certainly love a roadster but it is out of our price range.

The 6 cylinder cars came as 2 + 2 also, but the roofline is different, it's actually higher and the windshield rake is also different. When the Series III came along, they fiddled with it again to get the now 2 + 2 only configuration to look a little more graceful. It is better in certain colors, I have been looking at a silver 2+2 6 cylinder that really looks pretty good, is priced reasonable at $21K and the overall car is right where I want it condition wise but I think I really want the 2 seater. But to take this back on topic, I would like to see the above Jag dust and all... :)

The car West posted has another big plus - 3 pedals on the floor....

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Bryan,

The Imperial Airflow sounds good, but I got my Hemmings yesterday with an auction booklet for The Raleigh Classic and thought you'd like one of the 2 1940s on page 3 as runner-up choices! One's a Cadillac and one's a Buick.----Jeff

Well...if we only get ONE car. As you know I keep buying and selling. I love the 1940 Buicks too.

OK, as long as we're dreaming; I like my wife to find any 1933 or 1934 Packard open car in a barn and buy it for me.

Then again any 1933 or 1934 open car would satify me (Even though I sold our 34 Ford Phaeton). However, she

knows me well after 45 years and whatever she finds and buys will be a fun addition to the family, hopefully one

she'll drive too.

Bob,

Only your wife can decide whether it's a Type 37A or 52 Bugatti, or a Miller in this barn she found. I guess that could be a separate gift card from wife to grandson for, uh, another Bugatti. I remember the first Hemmings Motor News I ever got, my Grandpa having sent it from Kansas in 1969. It had a Type 101 Bugatti for sale in the U.S. for five thousand bucks. Would that have been a good deal?

West,

What's this -- a barn find that's actually in a barn!

Bryan,

A 1940 Buick Ltd. 6-Passenger Sedan, and a 1940 Cadillac V-16 Limousine. Regrettably....the Ltd. only has a fitted bar and no divider window.

If this happened to me, it wouldn't matter what the car was because I would drop dead from the shock if my wife did this. I have two antique cars and she thinks that's two too many. She's told me that once I retire, I'll have to stop going to Hershey and I told her that's not on the table so don't even bring it up. I've always wanted an Edsel or a Ford Skyliner, so those would be my first two choices, third would be a '64 Galaxie 500XL 4 door hardtop.

Guest billybird

1969 Dodge Super Bee 440 Six pack, green, black int., bench seat,4 speed, A12 car. The real deal. But I've already had 3 heart attacts and woudn't want to have another one!

If that 1915 (or Early-Production 1916) Cadillac Touring happened to show up, I guess we could find a place to garage it.

Maybe Billybird could free up a spot for me?

Of course a Red 1956-1957 Corvette with white coves would always be welcome, too.

Then again, a 1959-1960 Cadillac ElDorado convertible could work its way into our hearts.

Guest Rob McDonald

I'm with Steve and West - a Series 1 E-type coupe would be my dusty dream. I had the pleasure of using a very well sorted one for a whole day, long time ago. Like Marty says, it's rare among famously beautiful cars - even more wonderful to drive than to admire. It fit me perfectly, was solid as a vault, and all the machinery worked in smooth synchronicity. Sweet memory.

Almost forgot - when wifey saw this same car, years later, she snorted, "It looks like a giant [male organ of reproduction]!"

Edited by Rob McDonald
wifey's opinion (see edit history)

We're dreaming, right? My first thought was a '34 Packard Victoria but then I thought a 1938-40 Cadillac convertible sedan would be nice. Then my mind strayed to postwar and I remembered I always wanted a 46-48 Chrysler Town & Country convertible but a '58 Edsel Citation convertible or a '59 Buick Electra convertible would be just great, but no matter what I consider I always come back to a '56-57 Continental MK II, which by the way is the only non-convertible on my list, and then I think, well, a 1940's woodie wagon would be great. Then I become realistic and remember I already have them all, in 1/18th scale diecast and that for me is the only way to go and once again I'm back down to earth, dreaming over and by the way, my latest acquisition is a 1962 Pontiac Catalina Super Duty that i found a week ago.